• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding in New Mexico

C
Jan 6, 2008
Cal City
I might be moving to eastern new mexico after june so how long is the riding season riding and what type of riding can i expect. will be taking my sled no matter where i move to

C
Jan 6, 2008
Cal City
Alamogordo

Is actually where i would live did not pay close attention to the map before i posted. i am going to have to leave alaska an I am trying to get as close to riding as my job will allow

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Chuckr I ride in Red River, NM every once in awhile which was good last january thru march of last year. But the area is pretty small but its good enough and plenty of snow to get a guy stuck real good.

Other option that I ride is Chama at the NM & CO line this is a good area on par with alot of places I have been around the country. They have a longer season and more technical riding areas. But this is probably farther away for you.

But I live in TX and drive 12hrs each way to ride so distance is all relative. We all do alot for our passion.

fynn

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Chuck, you won't be too far from good riding. I can't speak personally for what NM has to offer since I'm new to the NM riding but from what I hear, it's pretty good especially up north. Snowest magazine recently put out a state by state guide of riding areas and it listed several places in NM, some of which I wasn't even aware of until I read it.

If you get into Southern Colorado/Northern NM, you'll have plenty of steep and deep to keep you busy.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I used to live in Alamogordo (stationed at Holloman too).

The snow's inconsistent but in a good year you can ride in Cloudcroft (elev 9K), about 30 minutes from Alamo. In general your riding will be limited to 3 day weekends and involve road trips north.

popcorn

Premium Member
Jan 9, 2009
northwest,NM
I might be moving to eastern new mexico after june so how long is the riding season riding and what type of riding can i expect. will be taking my sled no matter where i move to
if your near farmington,nm there is great riding an hour and 20 min away

Premium Features