• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Purpose built OEM? Is there a market? What is realistic?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
This is a big one for me too. The lack of power, acceleration, and ability to get the front end up compared to what I know it does on dirt or on a sled is a major disappointment for me.

My KTM 450 SXF with a 520 big bore and Yeti 129 pulls very hard when you are on the throttle and the track is hooking up. Maybe not dirt bike hard but I can accelerate as fast or faster than the 800 sleds that I ride with. It gives you a definite seat of the pants thrill. The 520 made a big difference in power for sure.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
My KTM 450 SXF with a 520 big bore and Yeti 129 pulls very hard when you are on the throttle and the track is hooking up. Maybe not dirt bike hard but I can accelerate as fast or faster than the 800 sleds that I ride with..
I’m just not seeing that. Ridden with a turbo 450sx and even that doesn’t go like a mountain sled. Now that’s ok, because the appeal for the bike isn’t really speed anyways. But straight line acceleration that is just not happening.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
For most of us here I do not buy the space and cost thing.

My snow-bike friends a have invested way more in the bikes than my sled-friends in there sleds. And they all have dedicated single track bikes for summer as well, some use the snow-bike for track use in the summer. I have a Sled and Snow-bike -- because the lack of power in the bike . A Snow-bike with my 850 engine in it would be able to do both and I would only have one machine saving space in the Garage and $$$

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
For most of us here I do not buy the space and cost thing.

The world is complex, as are these seemingly simple issues. My situation is not the norm...I have three sons that will all be on snow bikes within a year or two. At the moment only the oldest boy is on a full sized dirt bike so we converted his KTM 300 and mine with Camsos this fall. Holy crp almost didn't fit in the trailer.

So yes, the space is more important to me than the purpose built aspect. We will probably have five kits to store by 2020. That would be ten bikes if five were purpose built, plus the three vintage project Husqvarnas = 13 bikes to store!:face-icon-small-con

BTW...nice photo shop Hawkster:face-icon-small-win

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I for one would love to see a factory snowbike with a warranty

I have ridden sleds for about 25 years. Ive only rode dirt bikes seven years but absolutely love mountain single track. Probably like it better then sledding other than those few epic powder days a year.

I just went back to sledding this year after snowbiking for 2 seasons.

I plan on getting another snowbike but i wont do it without having a sled as well

Main reasons were the pull the rope and go on the sled. I just ride and never worry about anything.

I feel like the snowbike is like a 20 year mod sled. I had a 16 timbersled LT on an 09 CRF450R and 11 KTM 300 XC. Your always messing with it and checking stuff. Is it going to start? Is the engine getting warm? Is the oil getting fuel in it? Gotta change the oil every other ride on the 4 stroke. I couldnt get my 300 2 stroke run clean and consistent. Are you sucking snow in? My hands got cold with no hand warmers. Just kinda a head ache. Honestly the 2 most frustrating years I've ever had on snow. Although i had some amazing rides mixed in.

Ive had a way better year on the sled this year although i miss the bike sometimes.

I liked everything about the Timbersled I had except the bikes never feel balanced in the powder standing. I stand 95% of the time on the sled and dirt bike and find that more comfortable. At 6'3" i find sitting on the bike horribly uncomfortable. IMO the geometry is not right and wont be till standing feels right in the powder.

Something factory that works well is my dream. I would prefer a 2 stroke powerplant. Maybe 400-700ccs (60-150 hp). I can shift or run a cvt. They both have their ups and downs. Fully enclosed motor and a proper cooling system is a must.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Also, I find the dirt/snow cross over argument worthless for me.

Best snowbike = 450 MX bike which is by far the worst trail bike

I may try a 350 or 500 4 strokes next go around as the 500 XC-W or 350 SX or XC-F are way better trail bikes then a 450 MX bike

Nothing beats a 250/300 2 stroke for technical single track IMO so I have just acceptes I need 2 bikes

If you ride the track though, a 450 is perfect for dirt and snow

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Glen, I think you've pretty well summed it up there...bottom line is, in my situation, with three young snow bikers plus me, there's going to be some compromise somewhere, unless ones got loads of storage room.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The OEM is coming. And it will make our current stuff look like a 2moto. That is progression, and its good. Same happened with snowmobiles over the last, what, 10 years. No right minded individual is slaving over a D & R now days, or tunnel extensions and bigger tracks. You buy a purpose built sled that does what its intended to, and very well. Even comes with a warranty, up to what 5 years. Quiet and reliable. It will be interesting to say the least!

Premium Features