• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pro rmk gearing question

hey guys need some help here...i have a 2018 pro rmk with the 3 inch track sno check model with chain case. i put a new 2.6 track on last year but kept my stock drivers...i would like to gear it down. i put the iceage khaos rails and it still wont stand up.. i believe i have the 19/44 gearing...what should i order to put in there for some better bottom end? also would i need a different chain?? thanks in advance fellas!!

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
hey guys need some help here...i have a 2018 pro rmk with the 3 inch track sno check model with chain case. i put a new 2.6 track on last year but kept my stock drivers...i would like to gear it down. i put the iceage khaos rails and it still wont stand up.. i believe i have the 19/44 gearing...what should i order to put in there for some better bottom end? also would i need a different chain?? thanks in advance fellas!!
loosen your rear track shock tighten the front track shock and get back to us

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
The Khaos rails are a small part of the Khaos package, not sure rails by themselves are going to do much. You need at least a Khaos length front shock and new longer limiter strap. If that isn't enough, add the Khaos Rear Track Spring, it is softer than the Pro. Your gearing is plenty low, especially if your at lower elevation.
The drivers for the 3" track are 3" pitch, the driver for the 2.6" is 2.86. I didn't have good luck with using 3" pitch driver on a 2.86 pitch track. I definitely had some binding issues. If it's working for you run with it.

The Khaos rails are a small part of the Khaos package, not sure rails by themselves are going to do much. You need at least a Khaos length front shock and new longer limiter strap. If that isn't enough, add the Khaos Rear Track Spring, it is softer than the Pro. Your gearing is plenty low, especially if your at lower elevation.
The drivers for the 3" track are 3" pitch, the driver for the 2.6" is 2.86. I didn't have good luck with using 3" pitch driver on a 2.86 pitch track. I definitely had some binding issues. If it's working for you run with it.
Thx for the info. I did put the longer fox shocks and limiter strap my clutching seem fine and the 2.6 track I put on is a composite track with the 3 “ pitch. I was hoping some lower gearing may help me out

Thx for the info. I did put the longer fox shocks and limiter strap my clutching seem fine and the 2.6 track I put on is a composite track with the 3 “ pitch. I was hoping some lower gearing may help me out

L

limeprormk

Jan 5, 2022
Nevada
Ok so can anyone tell which gears are lower than what I have right now or any other recommendations?
The factory 2.6 inch track has higher gearing than the 3 inch. Higher gearing won't help get the front end up. There is a Kurts gear down kit for $600. I'm pretty sure that will help get the front end up!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I went with a 24tooth top gear when I put the TKI belt drive on my khaos 3in chain drive. I top out at 65-70mph. Stock is 2.32:1 and I'm now 2.42:1.

I don't think it helped lift the front end at all. My 165 Alpha will lift the skis way more than my 156 Khaos.
My buddies Matryx Khaos 156 QD2 lifts the skis much better than my Axys Khaos.

Maybe a more aggressive clutch kit that will shift up faster, creating quicker track speed will help?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J
Nov 25, 2019
With a 19 tooth top gear, I think the biggest you can go up to is a 46 tooth bottom gear. Any bigger and I believe you have to get a longer chain.
There is a thread on axys gearing.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I went lower for 2 reasons,
1. slow me down on the trail, 3in tracks don't last long at 70mph.
2. Lower belt temps playing in the trees.
Also with the thought of less load while climbing should allow the clutches to shift higher? I may be wrong, but I haven't seen any negative performance other than on trail.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
My Pro has 19/46 gearing, and I love it. Granted, it came to me that way, so I can't compare to stock gearing. Also, it's a 163. I doubt you'd lose track speed at all on a 163, but good chance you would on a 155 in deep snow. My experience gearing down my old sled was that the off-idle and low-speed feel were the biggest improvements; it lets you use the low and mid-range power more effectively. It also depends on what elevation you typically ride at. The higher you go, the more you want to gear down because the engine doesn't have the power to shift the clutches out far enough. Anyway, gearing down has lots of benefits, but definitely not a one-size-fits-all. Pretty sure the 46 gear is the biggest that'll fit in the case, but that may require a longer chain.

My Pro has 19/46 gearing, and I love it. Granted, it came to me that way, so I can't compare to stock gearing. Also, it's a 163. I doubt you'd lose track speed at all on a 163, but good chance you would on a 155 in deep snow. My experience gearing down my old sled was that the off-idle and low-speed feel were the biggest improvements; it lets you use the low and mid-range power more effectively. It also depends on what elevation you typically ride at. The higher you go, the more you want to gear down because the engine doesn't have the power to shift the clutches out far enough. Anyway, gearing down has lots of benefits, but definitely not a one-size-fits-all. Pretty sure the 46 gear is the biggest that'll fit in the case, but that may require a longer chain.
awesome thx! i think i will order the 46 and give it a go!!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
FYI, ur speedo will be off, on the highside 5%+ also, fuel mileage will drop.
Don't be shocked if you see 4 MPG on the deeper days.

Premium Features