• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Clutch TRA 7 800R Blew Apart

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I was able to get the bushings measured the other day.

The spec on the sping cover bushing is nothing greater than 30.40mm.
Ours was 30.30mm

On the sliding sheave bushing the spece is nothing greater than 40.30.
Ours was 42.8mm!!!

That is 2.5mm larger for a bushing! That is crazy!

Cheers
Shawn

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
That's the problem with the XP. You need to make sure you have everything aligned first thing and get the clutch heat to bare minimal. The thing u see a lot is guys running around saying "my clutches are perfect, never had a problem". When of a matter of fact they have long past cooked all the clutch parts and wonder why they start falling apart and having RPM issues. Those tolerances don't take much to pass. If you ride hard in the deep all the time you will be rebuilding those Doo clutches fairly regularly if it's not all square. My wifes sled had both clutches rebuilt after the first season due to the poor alignment from factory. It's just part of owning a Doo. The best part was a lot of crumby dealers said there is no issue and refused a lot of warranty work. Kind if funny how the 2010 model disproved that BS !

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
My website is designed for "self help" with all the issues I could gather. The information presented is from tuners but the totality of the work, I edited to make sure it was factual.

I think you'll find in this pull down tab about tech info xrs there you'll see somethings to look at.
CHECK THE CRANK RUNOUT/DEFLECTION on the sled that has the excessive bushing wear or quickest wearing parts.

381760469.jpg

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
It's got to be Joey's clutch kits :) j/k j/k j/k joking LOL.... I am sure he has gotten that one before... Hey Mr. DJ your clutch kit caused me to break an arm from all that weight you told me to ad to ride my Mountain sled in Iowa. You owe me a new snowmobile.

Anyways without a measurement does the sliding half bushing look fine? or am I freaking out? I might grab one of those arms from you Joey, unless I find a local dealer that has one in stock like yesterday.

Thanks
Shawn

Heh...I have guys who run 809 triples punched out to 1050 or 1070 making 200hp on pump fuel that run TRA-3's with 415s in clicker 4 with 26 to 28 grams of pinweight and get thousands of miles on fiber resin rollers. A sled that can do 115~120 mph on radar has a primary clutch that is putting out a lot of push force.

I have tested a 300hp sled that use dalton brute 80g levers with range of 11~15g or up to 25g and still is running around with the TRA4/7 blend and original rollers. The sled runs around on pump fuel with 220~230 hp on "hp" switch position #1.
.....I believe a contribution to long bushing life is their crankshafts have little to no deflection (runout)

Last edited:

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
I was able to get the bushings measured the other day.

The spec on the sping cover bushing is nothing greater than 30.40mm.
Ours was 30.30mm

On the sliding sheave bushing the spece is nothing greater than 40.30.
Ours was 42.8mm!!!

That is 2.5mm larger for a bushing! That is crazy!

Cheers
Shawn

Starting to notice a little increase in vibrations on my 08 summit...So i pulled the clutch to take these measurements you talk about here.

Sliding sheave bushing measured: 40.386mm
spring cup bushing measured: 30.276mm

I just replaced all arms, rollers, buttons, o-rings. Now it's time for new bushing, if your specs are correct.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Starting to notice a little increase in vibrations on my 08 summit...So i pulled the clutch to take these measurements you talk about here.

Sliding sheave bushing measured: 40.386mm
spring cup bushing measured: 30.276mm

I just replaced all arms, rollers, buttons, o-rings. Now it's time for new bushing, if your specs are correct.

Those are DJ's specs and I am pretty sure they are out the the BRP Shop Manual. DJ's got all of the issues documented on his site. It is a great resource for issues and clutch tuning.

Cheers
Shawn

B
Oct 30, 2008
i had the same problem on two sleds. Now i am have problems with the secondary clutch. Had to rebuilt primary at least twice before find the real solution. which is a new sheve and cup and the fiber glass thing that goes around the spring. if you ask me the 08 xp clutch is garbage. I also have an 05 with a clutch kit and had atleast 1500 very hard miles on it with no ware. after fixing almost all of the problems with the 08 my self i feel like we should see some replacment parts for free. but when this sled is dialed in it rips so hard. oh 163 08 xp in southeast ak. Nomans land. also if you have an 08 that the sheve is going out. it can also rattle your air box to cut into the small coolent hose. not sure if this is realited but the brake line also broke at the crimp. i can talk to any one how is intrested on other small problems or fixes. and remenber this is after very hard use i dont think you would see many of these problems on the trail or light boondocking.
adam

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
i had the same problem on two sleds. Now i am have problems with the secondary clutch. Had to rebuilt primary at least twice before find the real solution. which is a new sheve and cup and the fiber glass thing that goes around the spring. if you ask me the 08 xp clutch is garbage. I also have an 05 with a clutch kit and had atleast 1500 very hard miles on it with no ware. after fixing almost all of the problems with the 08 my self i feel like we should see some replacment parts for free. but when this sled is dialed in it rips so hard. oh 163 08 xp in southeast ak. Nomans land. also if you have an 08 that the sheve is going out. it can also rattle your air box to cut into the small coolent hose. not sure if this is realited but the brake line also broke at the crimp. i can talk to any one how is intrested on other small problems or fixes. and remenber this is after very hard use i dont think you would see many of these problems on the trail or light boondocking.
adam

After blowing out the clutch did you change with the updated parts? Did you check crank run out?

Papabyrd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Measured both the Dalton cotter pins and OEM BRP.

They are exactly the same width 0.084 in.

Not sure were these small "POS" cotter pins came from.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Measured both the Dalton cotter pins and OEM BRP.

They are exactly the same width 0.084 in.

Not sure were these small "POS" cotter pins came from.

The width was correct, but the gauge of the metal or thickness of metal the other way was very thin. Maybee they have changed it by now or maybee they were out of the good cotter pins so they sent some out with cheap pos cotter pins. A friendof mine had the exact same thing happen on his 07 xrs with dalton weight pins the same year. 2008/2009. Both of us completly destroyed the primary.
I got a set of tungston team weight pins last year when I put the turbo on. it came with better cotter pins then the daltons I got, but I am not chancing it and put oem cotter pins in .

T
Jan 5, 2008
Rockford, MN
I have had this same problem 3 times with 2 different sleds and the problem
always seem's to start from the spring cap bushing.
This starts going bad then causes the outer part of the clutch to wobble.
Once this starts you feel vibration and you also start putting sideways
pressure on the rollers. This then causes the roller bushings to go bad, damage to the ramps, and arms to break.
Now I just monitor the cap bushing, and when it starts showing movement, (about 800 miles) I just replace it. I have had no problems since.
$50.00 bucks every 800 miles I can live with.
Not saying this is what happened to yours, or that it will fix everyones clutch, but it seem's to be the problem with mine.
Just my 2 cents.

Papabyrd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
It was hard to get a true measure on the gauge of the pin but they appeared to be withing a few though of each other, OEM vs. Dalton.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Maybee dalton changed the cotter pin that comes with the pin kit now. I will have to look in my box of clutch parts when I get it out and see if I still have one of the cheap *** ones dalton sent me. I will take a picture of it next to a stock doo one.
I replaced the spring cup about as soon as the newer one came out.

Papabyrd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
I replace my dalton cotter pins with brp. The daltons seem to be of a weaker, easier bending material. They are a flat grey colour while the BRP pins are the shiny gold colour.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Anybody got any good tips on how to get the snap ring out that holds the primary bushing in the clutch half?

Premium Features