• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Poor sled...t1000

C

catf1000s/p

Dec 30, 2011
I have a 2012 turbo sled in the shop and i see that it is a total nightmare under the hood of these things, never rule out stuff cooking under there, on my f8, i put wire loom over a apv cable that was 4" away from my y pipe and when i took of the hood after the first ride, that wire loom was melted to the point of catching on fire.
Think of how much heat these turbos get when they are cherry red, its enough heat to start a fire at anytime, all these unrapped exhaust pipes is not good for keeping anything cool on these sleds including the belt, the belt problem on these sleds are from getting so hot that they are melting when going slow at gas stations and road crossings because all the air ducts and vents will not do anything to help the heat out when not moving very fast, all i can say is if you have a turbo sled you better take care of the heat under the hoods or you will never be happy with the performance of the sled in general.
The air filters are getting feed some insaine heat because the side panel vent does not reach the exhaust manifold shield and that air goes right to the air filter because the cover for the air filter is not a tight enough fit, there is a 1/2 gap that let all that heat right in there.

Belanger Racing
catf1000s/p
Frank

Last edited:

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
I have a 2012 turbo sled in the shop and i see that it is a total nightmare under the hood of these things, never rule out stuff cooking under there, on my f8, i put wire loom over a apv cable that was 4" away from my y pipe and when i took of the hood after the first ride, that wire loom was melted to the point of catching on fire.
Think of how much heat these turbos get when they are cherry red, its enough heat to start a fire at anytime, all these unrapped exhaust pipes is not good for keeping anything cool on these sleds including the belt, the belt problem on these sleds are from getting so hot that they are melting when going slow at gas stations and road crossings because all the air ducts and vents will not do anything to help the heat out when not moving very fast, all i can say is if you have a turbo sled you better take care of the heat under the hoods or you will never be happy with the performance of the sled in general.
The air filters are getting feed some insaine heat because the side panel vent does not reach the exhaust manifold shield and that air goes right to the air filter because the cover for the air filter is not a tight enough fit, there is a 1/2 gap that let all that heat right in there.

Belanger Racing
catf1000s/p
Frank

I added the AC brand frogskin hood vents and that seems to have helped move out a lot of heat.

Premium Features