• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris die hard first ride on gen 5 turbo R today

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Did doo issue a recall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not yet but I expect they will. There were plenty of Doo's burning down over the last few years by people riding with the parking brake on. Mostly rentals. Now that Polaris has the flash to protect from this, Doo will likely follow, as it is an easy fix.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I ride really tight technical trees and I think that's where you need the sled to do what you want. Tell me what didn't agree with you, because a lot didn't agree with me also and I got mine so dialed now.
We rode similarly then by the sounds of it. I also like to be able to throw a reentry once in a while and although I’m getting a little older so doing it less still do like to jump a little. The things I had issues with number one was the sleds just not doing what I wanted it to in ****ty spots. The polaris does what I want it to do pretty well all the time. Precision seemed lacking so my confidence was just not there on skidoo. The he steering is weird but I assume I could get used to that. The wider tunnel just seems off I like the dirt bike feel of a polaris. The brake in your foot sort of bothered me too just awkward. They didn’t seem like they got up on top of the snow as well picture stuck with a ski pull just trenching in where a polaris or cat pops up with a ski tug. When you went to roll one they seemed to need Fenway park just took way more space to roll one out of a stick which seems like no big deal until you’re in a tight spot with trees rocks whatever limiting your room to roll. I did always like the motor and quality seems better. Working on them seemed more of a nightmare just changing a track or a arm or whatever but sounds like that’s better now. I’m sure there’s more but that’s the stuff I can think of.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Not yet but I expect they will. There were plenty of Doo's burning down over the last few years by people riding with the parking brake on. Mostly rentals. Now that Polaris has the flash to protect from this, Doo will likely follow, as it is an easy fix.

On a doo, The dash beeps like crazy when the brake light is on for a length of time, and the sled is under power.
Not a sled issue, but a inattentive rider issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
On a doo, The dash beeps like crazy when the brake light is on for a length of time, and the sled is under power.
Not a sled issue, but a inattentive rider issue.

So how come there are several videos of them burning to the ground? Older models before this beeping feature?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
So how come there are several videos of them burning to the ground? Older models before this beeping feature?

Yes my G4 did. Aftermarket aluminum brake leavers were notorious for setting the alarm off as well.

Sleds burn for other reasons.
All the doos I have owned I have never had a brake issue. If a rider can pull away with the park brake on than they are definitely not paying attention.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Well I sold my 22 boost for a gen5 turbo r, both 165. For sure doo rides alot lighter, and it side hills just as good. Were I like the polaris alot better, is when your on a down hill and the sled is away from you, and you need to get back on the uphill edge. The doo steering makes it harder vs. the polaris steering.

D
Mar 13, 2014
We rode similarly then by the sounds of it. I also like to be able to throw a reentry once in a while and although I’m getting a little older so doing it less still do like to jump a little. The things I had issues with number one was the sleds just not doing what I wanted it to in ****ty spots. The polaris does what I want it to do pretty well all the time. Precision seemed lacking so my confidence was just not there on skidoo. The he steering is weird but I assume I could get used to that. The wider tunnel just seems off I like the dirt bike feel of a polaris. The brake in your foot sort of bothered me too just awkward. They didn’t seem like they got up on top of the snow as well picture stuck with a ski pull just trenching in where a polaris or cat pops up with a ski tug. When you went to roll one they seemed to need Fenway park just took way more space to roll one out of a stick which seems like no big deal until you’re in a tight spot with trees rocks whatever limiting your room to roll. I did always like the motor and quality seems better. Working on them seemed more of a nightmare just changing a track or a arm or whatever but sounds like that’s better now. I’m sure there’s more but that’s the stuff I can think of.

You will get more and more comfortable with time. My sled setup is something very few people like. I rode with Steve Martin a few years ago and basically replicated it. My suspension in the skid is very stiff, I'm 230 before gear and when I get on the sled the rear end doesn't compress at all. I also have the limiter strap let out 2 holes. I would suggest you do the ice age spindles first and go from there. Not trying to brag or anything but I'm a really strong person so making adjustments that people say make the sled harder to turn etc I don't even notice.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Well I sold my 22 boost for a gen5 turbo r, both 165. For sure doo rides alot lighter, and it side hills just as good. Were I like the polaris alot better, is when your on a down hill and the sled is away from you, and you need to get back on the uphill edge. The doo steering makes it harder vs. the polaris steering.
I hated my buddy's boost. It was a 165 pro also. I took it out first since he was too busy and mine wasn't in. There was 2 feet of fresh on bottomless base and i didn't mind it. First ride of year. Next time out and snow was set up. Rode really heavy. Hated that sled. Thank god mine was a 155 kaos boost. He has a kaos limiter for it. But hasn't been rode with it. Also seems like it needed a heavier fts spring because cranking it up made little difference.
Glad to hear gen 5 rides a bunch lighter or i would be worried. After you've had easier you don't want to go back. It would be like going back and riding some of your old sled that you thought were awesome in their day.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Yes my G4 did. Aftermarket aluminum brake leavers were notorious for setting the alarm off as well.

Sleds burn for other reasons.
All the doos I have owned I have never had a brake issue. If a rider can pull away with the park brake on than they are definitely not paying attention.

Skinz adjustable brake lever has a design flaw, so the brake is on a bit all the time. Had to do some honing for the inner part of the lever to make it work right.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
The ice age spindles do not put it in line. They said they tried that and it made a whole other set of problems. They might of ended up like a lynx. Seems like doo is like 8mm and lynx is 5mm. Can't remember what iceage went with. All i know is every time the bars were jerked out of my hands, it was a skidoo.

There's a bigger difference than that. Had a Lynx and a Doo side by side and the spindles differ a lot! I wouldn't be surprised if the difference is at least 10mm between them.

I'm not sure if it applies to the 36" and 34" fronts but For some front suspensions there are even different upper a-arms creating widely different caster angles. My -19 Lynx 850 w 40" front had almost neutral caster angle but My father's -19 Lynx 900 ACE, also w 40" front, had upper arms giving it a very, very positive caster angle, and in addition to that it had the Summit spindle which combined made it almost unrideable.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Skinz adjustable brake lever has a design flaw, so the brake is on a bit all the time. Had to do some honing for the inner part of the lever to make it work right.

I had a aluminum leaver on my last two sleds, had to do the same, I will not be using one on my G5, I was tired of the cold finger as well, plastic does not seem to feel as cold as the aluminum.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Curious to hear if the sawing of the bars on a sidehill goes away. 2100 miles on my G4 and one of my biggest complaints was how much bar input was required while on edge. Felt like the was too much fighting to keep the sled happy on edge. Watching others ride has shown it's not just me.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Curious to hear if the sawing of the bars on a sidehill goes away. 2100 miles on my G4 and one of my biggest complaints was how much bar input was required while on edge. Felt like the was too much fighting to keep the sled happy on edge. Watching others ride has shown it's not just me.

Centered my skis on the G4, did post forward, and had the riser in line with the steering post = no issues.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Gen 4 steers twice as easy as anything but you have to steer it twice as much. I've got die hard buddies that don't even realize they're doing it. Another buddy of mine watched as two of them took off turning on a sidehill. I told him watch this. He agreed they were both working the heck out of the bars. When we took off. We did same thing. I put bars in a counter steer and left them until I straightened them 1 time. My buddy the same. I was on a alpha and he was on an axys.
You are not crazy. They are twitchy and i think it's the combo of ski and spindle.

Premium Features