• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris die hard first ride on gen 5 turbo R today

D
Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Polaris faithful rode 23 turbo r 165 today
Results were amazing best day of riding in my 17 year mountain riding
No mistakes no offs no near misses nothing.
Rode easy first hour then figured it out and rode with very much confidence rest of day. Sled did exactly what I wanted it to do. Very impressive. Track hooked up great. Suspension with no t motion felt exactly like a Polaris shot start is amazing
Motor ran smooth like butter all day Riding it again tomorrow and looking for same results. Serious thoughts about switching over to ski Doo. Polaris has been nothing but a pita w recalls and snowcheck promises with no sled still waiting for my boost. Thinking of canceling ??? And buying ski Doo if I can find one ???
Just throwing out my thoughts on the day. Thx

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Rode easy first hour then figured it out and rode with very much confidence rest of day. Sled did exactly what I wanted it to do. Very impressive. Track hooked up great. Suspension with no t motion felt exactly like a Polaris shot start is amazing
Motor ran smooth like butter all day Riding it again tomorrow and looking for same results. Serious thoughts about switching over to ski Doo. Polaris has been nothing but a pita w recalls and snowcheck promises with no sled still waiting for my boost. Thinking of canceling ??? And buying ski Doo if I can find one ???

Feel for you Poo guys having all the issues this year. Glad you were able to try the new G5 I found it definitely surpasses the old G4 chassis.

They had 3 not sure if they are still there or if your in Canada
50f019a3c7061c4f1aa467d71dac5174.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Winter is too short to be receiving a new machine in January or February. Regardless of brand.

My opinion is if you find something you like, and want to ride, buy it. As winter is going by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
I’ve been on every brand in the last 25 years. Tried the Summit 2018 850 and loved the motor/ clutching however with the handling being so terrible I stopped riding it, sold it and rode another brand. I purchased a G5 and honestly Ski Doo has hit a home run, nailed everything as the machine is Impressive in all aspects, fit & finish, motor, clutching ,and it can go places. Best sled I’ve ever owned!

D
Mar 13, 2014
I’ve been on every brand in the last 25 years. Tried the Summit 2018 850 and loved the motor/ clutching however with the handling being so terrible I stopped riding it, sold it and rode another brand. I purchased a G5 and honestly Ski Doo has hit a home run, nailed everything as the machine is Impressive in all aspects, fit & finish, motor, clutching ,and it can go places. Best sled I’ve ever owned!

I find all this type of feedback interesting. It still has the same flaws as the 18 in the much of the handeling. Don't get me wrong the sled is still extremely capable.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I find all this type of feedback interesting. It still has the same flaws as the 18 in the much of the handeling. Don't get me wrong the sled is still extremely capable.
I don't see where they're that different.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
What type of riding do you do? I’ve been getting tempted but having a hard time considering the switch since the g4 just didn’t get along great with me.

D
Mar 13, 2014
What type of riding do you do? I’ve been getting tempted but having a hard time considering the switch since the g4 just didn’t get along great with me.
I ride really tight technical trees and I think that's where you need the sled to do what you want. Tell me what didn't agree with you, because a lot didn't agree with me also and I got mine so dialed now.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Nope, glad they figured out how to give it that Polaris feeling.

Couldn't edit my last post. Thought I would just throw it out there.

First the easiest and in my opinion the best adjustment is the spindles. The Polaris has the upper joint, lower joint, and ski all in line. The skidoo is offset a lot. I would not go over 1 inch, the ice age spindle puts that all in line. Think of it this way.... the steering on a chooper style motorcycle with the wheel way out there compared to a bullet bike. The bullet bike is going to way more precise etc. The factory spindle gives the sled very light steering, and if you look at a sled side by side with factory spindles and Elevate when you turn the skis all the way to one direction and ski with the factory spindle is going to tilt a lot more. Which I think causes that darting unpredictable steering.

I totally get why this wouldn't matter for most but for people that want all those small improvements this is the best one. You do need to have the ability to add pre load on the front skid shock to reduce the ski pressure the Elevate kit adds.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

First the easiest and in my opinion the best adjustment is the spindles. The Polaris has the upper joint, lower joint, and ski all in line. The skidoo is offset a lot. I would not go over 1 inch, the ice age spindle puts that all in line. Think of it this way.... the steering on a chooper style motorcycle with the wheel way out there compared to a bullet bike. The bullet bike is going to way more precise etc. The factory spindle gives the sled very light steering, and if you look at a sled side by side with factory spindles and Elevate when you turn the skis all the way to one direction and ski with the factory spindle is going to tilt a lot more. Which I think causes that darting unpredictable steering.

I totally get why this wouldn't matter for most but for people that want all those small improvements this is the best one. You do need to have the ability to add pre load on the front skid shock to reduce the ski pressure the Elevate kit adds.
The ice age spindles do not put it in line. They said they tried that and it made a whole other set of problems. They might of ended up like a lynx. Seems like doo is like 8mm and lynx is 5mm. Can't remember what iceage went with. All i know is every time the bars were jerked out of my hands, it was a skidoo.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com

I’m really hoping the elevate spindles fix that front end. I’m coming from Polaris myself. Still keeping one of each, but adding the g5 turbo 155x3.
I like the direction skidoo has gone, but that steering gets me bad! It’s the worst part of the chassis. Its what has kept me from buying one until now. Most skidoo guys have no idea what I’m talking about when I bring it up. So, I’m glad to hear you address it, and have a way to help.
Curious if you ride with the sway bar connected too. I’m thinking of adding preload to the ski shocks and disconnecting it. I’m hesitant because I really like the sway bar on the Polaris.
I have the elevate spindles, fox qs3’s, and post forward kit. I’m going to start with the shocks and spindles, then add the post forward if needed.
I’m so fed up with Polaris that I’m going to give Doo as fair of a chance as I can. I’m just so confident on a Polaris. I feel I can take it anywhere. If I don’t pull a line i know what I did wrong. On the Doo I’ll end up on a totally different line than I intended with no idea what happened ?. I know it’s in the front end and steering. Just having a hard time figuring out how to fix it.
If I rode open terrain like what you see in a lot of Alaska and bc it probably wouldn’t be as big of an issue. I’m in Idaho and ride tight steep trees. Really hoping I can dial this in!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I’m really hoping the elevate spindles fix that front end. I’m coming from Polaris myself. Still keeping one of each, but adding the g5 turbo 155x3.
I like the direction skidoo has gone, but that steering gets me bad! It’s the worst part of the chassis. Its what has kept me from buying one until now. Most skidoo guys have no idea what I’m talking about when I bring it up. So, I’m glad to hear you address it, and have a way to help.
Curious if you ride with the sway bar connected too. I’m thinking of adding preload to the ski shocks and disconnecting it. I’m hesitant because I really like the sway bar on the Polaris.
I have the elevate spindles, fox qs3’s, and post forward kit. I’m going to start with the shocks and spindles, then add the post forward if needed.
I’m so fed up with Polaris that I’m going to give Doo as fair of a chance as I can. I’m just so confident on a Polaris. I feel I can take it anywhere. If I don’t pull a line i know what I did wrong. On the Doo I’ll end up on a totally different line than I intended with no idea what happened ?. I know it’s in the front end and steering. Just having a hard time figuring out how to fix it.
If I rode open terrain like what you see in a lot of Alaska and bc it probably wouldn’t be as big of an issue. I’m in Idaho and ride tight steep trees. Really hoping I can dial this in!
Your problem is you haven't rode the skidoo long enough. You can't just jump off your polaris and like it unless you ride for a day or two. Once you get used to it one isn't better than the other. It's just what you're used to. Then you can jump back and forth. I think it's in their spindle combined with insanely deep keel on skis.
I ran my boost without swaybar. Way better off trail and i can live with it on trail. Gets rid of feedback through the bars which doo really needs. Unhooking my lynx if it ever gets here.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Your problem is you haven't rode the skidoo long enough. You can't just jump off your polaris and like it unless you ride for a day or two. Once you get used to it one isn't better than the other. It's just what you're used to. Then you can jump back and forth. I think it's in their spindle combined with insanely deep keel on skis.
I ran my boost without swaybar. Way better off trail and i can live with it on trail. Gets rid of feedback through the bars which doo really needs. Unhooking my lynx if it ever gets here.
I did own the first year g4. Put 3.500 miles on it that year then switched back to Polaris. Seat time is not my problem. It’s a great sled. Just feel there is some real improvement that could be done in the front end for my riding.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I did own the first year g4. Put 3.500 miles on it that year then switched back to Polaris. Seat time is not my problem. It’s a great sled. Just feel there is some real improvement that could be done in the front end for my riding.
3500 miles should get you used to steering. Steering still bothered you? Meaning vertical vs. Lay down. Steering twice as easy but steering them twice as much is what bothered me. Gave my boosted 18 to my wife and haven't been back until this year.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Well among the years t-motion has allways been the problem for polaris guys when they tried out the doo. Stock ski rubbers also worn out fast (especially on 17-19` sleds) which can cause a feeling that sled tries to wash out constantly.

T-motion was a invention made for XM chassis to make them manouver easier and lighter. But in my opinion Gen4 was so huge step forward that t-motion was not needed anymore.

On ´20 expert doo redesigned the spindles with more caster and better design for spindle bottom so ski rubbers didnt wear out so quickly. That made a lot of improvement on sidehilling and stability.

My advice for 17-22` summits is to lock t-motion and get salazzking/durapro ski rubbers or even 20+ expert spindles. The sled will be a lot more precise on tight treelines no matter the conditions. Best way to lock out t-motion is to get rear arm parts from c-motion crossover suspension.

Luckily G5 expert doesnt have these problems anymore. And what I have heard, with Gen5 and redesigned rear suspension geometry t-motion isnt that big of problem anyways. But for true steep&deep and treeriding guys g5 expert is the weapon out from the box.

Premium Features