• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Assault top speed????

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Got the engine recall done.... now it back fires and Pisses around.... Can only get around 66 mph in the powder and only hits around 7800 rpm.... Only thing done is put heavier weights in the clutch.... how can i get more speed ... its no fun seeing everyones tail lights.... makes me wanna buy a doo..

Good idea, instead of figuring out the tuning of your sled, buy a different brand and hope it is setup perfect out of the box.

Do some research and you will find that the update is rich on top and several people (including myself) have gone to the PCV to control fuel. My sled rips with this slight modification and takes care of that "pissing around". Check your plugs, they are probably rich. I have 60 gram weights on mine (8,000+ elevation). The Assault has a shorter track but it is very beefy. I suspect that sled will have less top end because of it. You can gear up but that will ruin the purpose of the Assault. Flat landers go fast, mountain riders go steep and deep.

A

assaultboy22

Dec 14, 2009
my 2010 in hard packed snow will hit around 72mph and in deeper powder in the 50's depending on the mountain. my dad has his regeared and slp can and pipe and his sled flat out rips. i am buying a snowstuff can for mine

L

LT

Nov 20, 2008
menahga, mn.
Care to explain? You are limited by the gearing...

so adding a slp exhaust system and re-clutching wont change anything? the cobra track will spin quite a bit easier than the huge heavy stock track right?? im not saying you dont know what your talking about im just saying according to my speedo i gained quite a bit of speed.

L
Jan 26, 2010
N. IL.
Put the PCV on from Dynotech last week and went up to U.P. this past weekend. Ran AWESOME! Ended up throwing lugs off the track! Now ordering 1.352 Cobra. Gonna re-gear and see what the clutching does. Should be interesting. Might be looking for suggestions soon.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
so adding a slp exhaust system and re-clutching wont change anything? the cobra track will spin quite a bit easier than the huge heavy stock track right?? im not saying you dont know what your talking about im just saying according to my speedo i gained quite a bit of speed.

Just browsing some old gearing thread and I missed this.

You gearing will limit your TOP SPEED.

If you gained speed it could have been your old setup was not capable of maxing out your gears. If that was the case then you more than likely had the wrong gears in.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Stock 2009 Assault is 20-41 gearing.

2.05 gear ratio

8,000 RPM it should pull 84 MPH track speed.

anyone know where I got this from? :face-icon-small-con

Not sure if I read the Assault has different gearing than the Dragon/RMK but in 2008 the gearing was 20-41, in 2009/10 the gearing should be 19/41.

LOL

I know someone on this thread posted they are geared lower but I have not been able to confirm that.

Yeah, I should just pop the chaincase off and look but my sled is not with me and in it's somewhat summer storage. Planning on doing some stuff to it and trying to order what I need.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The paper work on my 2010 Assault claims 20:41 and I'm going to drill the RMK front suspension hole out to see if it'll float a little better.

Premium Features