• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 975 electrical issue - Try and solve this one?????????/

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
my friend has a 2006 900 switchback and i seemed to be doing the same thing yours is doing .... what it came down to is he broke one of the motor mounts and the torq stops witch created more vibration than normal and the idle screw backed off witch made it idle really low and he couldnt get it into reverse..... just give it a try:cool:

All mounts are good and both slp torque stops are in and tight.

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
This might sound dumb but WTH!!! :D

Every electrical problem I have ever had on anything usually seems to revolve around a ground wire problem.
Maybe the perc system itself is grounding and dragging the rpm down likes its trying to shift itself constantly. I'd check the handlebars and the wires. Make sure the perc wire is not pinched and grounding out.

Again, electrical scares me!!!!! :eek:
-T

Last edited:
E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
This might sound dumb but WTH!!! :D

Every electrical problem I have ever had on anything usually seems to revolve around a ground wire problem.
Maybe the perc system itself is grounding and dragging the rpm down likes its trying to shift itself constantly. I'd check the handlebars and the wires. Make sure the perc wire is not pinched and grounding out.

Again, electrical scares me!!!!! :eek:
-T

I'll give them another look.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Low Idle will not let reverse work, and of course it could be the exhaust temp sender as mine was bad and screwed up idle mixture..low idle. Believe there are certain steps involved in setting curb idle speed..?

S

snoboy

Dec 4, 2007
Maple Valley Wa
At this point you really need to have a wiring diagram AND schematic. If Mountainhorse could upload one for us to see then some of the guys trained in logic circuits could try and help. It's all guesswork without the logic at this point. Hopefully he could chime in with some resources.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
At this point you really need to have a wiring diagram AND schematic. If Mountainhorse could upload one for us to see then some of the guys trained in logic circuits could try and help. It's all guesswork without the logic at this point. Hopefully he could chime in with some resources.

I'm hoping he reads this but I think he gets slammed all of the time with questions.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Eric, do you know if Premier monitored the TPS voltage when they checked for codes? Also, I think I read somewhere that the idle switch on the flipper also causing no reverse. You could probably test it with a multimeter, should just be an open/closed type of switch. Also, on mine i could see where too much slack in the throttle cable will not allow the flipper to retract all the way, thus not allowing the switch to close. Might be something else to check while you wait for your TPS harness.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
It seems like you have already checked a whole bunch of stuff. If a sled arrived to me in the shop with bad idle and no reverse (but works well at speed) the first things I would check would be for the presence of the 5X signal from the stator and then go through the baseline TPS setup. There is a video on how to do the TPS baseline on the site here .. it is shown with the TB assy removed but can easily be done on the sled. It does make a big dofference to the idle quality of these sleds.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
i know exactly where you are coming from mine did the same thing at the end of the season last year. the tp failed and was reading 3.5 volts at closed throttle so the sled wouldn't run unless above 1/2 throttle. i replaced the tp and reverse still didn't work and still no codes. i wasn't getting a tp code and it was bad :confused: i adjusted and set that darn tp so many times i can do it in my sleep and it still wouldnt work. thanks to some help on here i replaced the tp harness and bam it was fixed but that was after about 15 hours of work cause i replaced the stator too cause someone said it could be a problem. moral to the story start with the tp harness and sensor and make sure to do a sweep test on the tp sensor first if you are having problems with reverse.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
TPS Harness

Can anyone get me the Part numbers for the TPS wiring harness...

I want to get a price on one for future reference, and maybe replace it just in case..

one for my 05 rmk 900 and my wifes 06 rmk 700..

thanks..

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Can anyone get me the Part numbers for the TPS wiring harness...

I want to get a price on one for future reference, and maybe replace it just in case..

one for my 05 rmk 900 and my wifes 06 rmk 700..

thanks..

you have to look it up under FST and the part number is 2203165 $27.44 at babbitts online

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Eric,
Had this same issue with my 900. TPS harness was OK, but the TPS itself was bad. It showed sweep with the tester but would not achieve the target 0.94V at idle with the tester. It had shifted internally and would not allow itself to achieve the proper set point. Make yourself a tester, it's easy and costs practically nothing (plans here on Snowest somewhere) and confirm. It will confirm the TPS for sure, it's a very simple test. The system requires that the TPS output voltage is at the 0.94V setting before it will allow PERC to work and also looks for that voltage for proper idle. If the TPS checks out then it will likely be the harness.
I know the frustration on this issue, been there done that. Go thru the tests, it will take the guess work out and get you to the solution.
Good luck.
Gary

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
Eric,
Had this same issue with my 900. TPS harness was OK, but the TPS itself was bad. It showed sweep with the tester but would not achieve the target 0.94V at idle with the tester. It had shifted internally and would not allow itself to achieve the proper set point. Make yourself a tester, it's easy and costs practically nothing (plans here on Snowest somewhere) and confirm. It will confirm the TPS for sure, it's a very simple test. The system requires that the TPS output voltage is at the 0.94V setting before it will allow PERC to work and also looks for that voltage for proper idle. If the TPS checks out then it will likely be the harness.
I know the frustration on this issue, been there done that. Go thru the tests, it will take the guess work out and get you to the solution.
Good luck.
Gary

Thanks Gary

Premium Features