• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Plate for blocking snow??

Broskie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2010
If anyone is thinking of making one of these, Its super simple and took me about 15 minutes and $12. I went to Home depot and picked up a 1'x2' piece of Lexan Polycarbonate sheet. Its Shatter resistant, Lightweight, and virtually unbreakable.
1. Made a template from cardboard
2. Traced template on Lexan
3. Cut the Lexan with a jigsaw
4. Used a heat gun to bend the tabs that go over the chassis
5. drilled 2 holes in the body plastics and 2 of them are already drilled in the cast.
6. Riveted the piece in.

I left it clear because one I didn't care to paint it and two so I can see if anything is jammed up in it.
photo-4.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I plugged mine off with a sheet of aluminum.
Works well.

"What was Polaris thinking?"
Maybe it doesn't really fill up all that much, and if it does, will the pipe melt it out?

Btw, the abs plate looks great.
The lexan is trick!

Last edited:

827revdog

Jun 18, 2008
michigan
the slp plate is a joke. not even close to fitting . guess if you want it done right , gotta do it yourself.

hiwayman

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Glencoe MN
Used duct tape and sealed this off when my 011 was brand new. first strips crosswise second strips lenghtwise. hidden under the pipe so no one can see it anyway! took less than 5 minutes and probably .$50 worth of tape. still in place after two winters!

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Is this really a problem or not?

Had Pros for the last 3 years. Some snow gets in and then the a-arms ice up a little and block the holes and the pipe keeps the pile from getting bigger. A$$hole deep snow right now an no issues (again).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Has anyone thought that this is the way for snow and water to get out and not in? Lots of snow comes in through the louvers in the hood. I have never blocked this off and it hasn't been a problem. You also might raise your under hood temps too. Lots of heat off the pipe.

odiermk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
For now, I agree to leave it open. Looking at it and think it could be a way to evacuate heat. Also the way it is designed no buildup should stay in there with the hot pipe melting snow out acting like a drainage spot. Be interested to know temp differences between the blocked and unblocked. One thing I was concerned about is the whole under the drive belt exposing it to direct snow. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

J
Feb 1, 2010
Just got done building mine today. If you know anybody that does seemless gutters, the gutter material is the perfect width.(12") I added two small tabs at the bottom and riveted to the belly pan. The cooling hose holes in the bulkhead can be filled with 7/8" plastic plugs found at any hardware store. I put them in with a liitle glue to make sure they stayed. Starting to run out of little projects waiting for snow:face-icon-small-fro!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If the hole is a designed draft vent as Polaris had been rumored to claim, I saw mine was totally plugged of snow and ice today. Would have made a poor vent today for me. Lol

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Also, I meant to restate, as in another thread, if you do the block-off, you need to consider doing nose cone vents right where those orange reflectors are up front.

Premium Features