• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pelosi Says ‘No Way’ Health Plan Can Pass Without Public Option

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
Pelosi Says ‘No Way’ Health Plan Can Pass Without Public Option

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said legislation to revamp the U.S. health-care system won’t get through her chamber unless it creates a government-run insurance program to compete with the private industry.

“There’s no way I can pass a bill in the House of Representatives without a public option,” the California Democrat said at a press conference in San Francisco yesterday.

Pelosi drew a line in the sand on one of the most contentious issues surrounding the health-care overhaul after Obama administration officials earlier suggested the White House might be willing to back away from the public option to win broader support. Republicans and even some Democrats have said the idea is a nonstarter in the Senate.

“The government-run plan would turn into a bureaucratic nightmare,” Senator Mike Enzi, a Wyoming Republican, wrote in a USA Today opinion piece on Aug. 19. “In the finance committee, six of us leading the negotiations are working from the premise that there will not be a government-run plan.”

Enzi last night joined in a call with the five other senators in a group led by Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus that’s trying to craft a health-care plan. The panel is the only one of five congressional committees with jurisdiction over health care that is attempting to find a bipartisan compromise.

They’ll Meet Again

"Our discussion included an increased emphasis on affordability and reducing costs, and our efforts moving forward will reflect that focus," Baucus said in a statement last night after the telephone meeting. He said the six senators plan to convene again before coming back to Washington in September.

The group’s effort is getting more complicated as lawmakers face protests at home and as proposals such as the public option draw fire. Supporters say a government plan is the best way to bring down costs and insure more people; opponents say it would expand the role of government too much and undercut the market for companies such as Indianapolis-based WellPoint Inc.

Obama yesterday reiterated his support for the proposal.

“If we have a public option in there, that can help keep insurers honest,” he told a group of Democratic Party community organizers in Washington.

Continuing the push for his top domestic priority, Obama asked the activists who helped his 2008 campaign to organize neighbors to support his health-care effort and urged them not to “lose heart as we enter into probably our toughest fight.”

Ratings Fall

Obama’s approval ratings have fallen as the health-care debate has intensified in contentious town-hall meetings held by Democratic lawmakers across the U.S. Obama, who spoke at three town halls last week, told supporters their help is needed to correct misperceptions.

“We’re going to have to cut through a lot of nonsense out there, a lot of absurd claims that have been made,” he said during a visit to the Democratic National Committee headquarters. “If the majority of the people have the facts, then, in fact, they will be on our side.”

Obama said he’s willing to work with Republicans, while adding “there are some people who for partisan reasons just want to see this go down.”

The fissures between the chambers and the parties raise the possibility that Democrats might try to use their majorities in the House and Senate to pass legislation on their own. In the Senate, that means they would likely have to use a process known as reconciliation, which is designed for budget issues and requires only a majority of votes for passage.

‘Never Stopped Talking’

“We’ve never stopped talking about reconciliation,” Senator Ben Cardin, a Maryland Democrat, said in an interview. “It’s by far not the preferred option.”

Obama and top congressional Democrats say they favor a bipartisan approach yet have pledged to pass the legislation by the end of the year.

“We will not make a decision to pursue reconciliation until we have exhausted efforts to produce a bipartisan bill,” Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, said on Aug. 19. “‘However, patience is not unlimited and we are determined to get something done this year.”

The finance panel is the only one still working on a plan. Three House committees and one Senate panel have approved their versions of the legislation on party-line votes.

‘Broad-Based Support’

Unlike those committees, the finance group is leaning against a mandate on employers to cover workers or pay a penalty. Instead of a public option, the senators on the panel are considering allowing the creation of nonprofit cooperatives with government seed money.

There’s also the question of how to pay for a plan that may cost $1 trillion over 10 years. House Democrats want to increase taxes on the wealthiest Americans; the Senate finance negotiators are weighing a tax on the most-generous health plans.

“Something as big and important as health-care legislation should have broad-based support,” Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa, the top Republican negotiator, said Aug. 19. “So far, no one has developed that kind of support, either in Congress or at the White House. We should keep working until we can put something together.”

Besides Baucus, Grassley and Enzi, the senators negotiating a compromise include Republican Olympia Snowe of Maine and Democrats Kent Conrad of North Dakota and Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico.

Pelosi yesterday said lawmakers have to pass a comprehensive bill rather than a watered-down compromise.

“Frankly, I don’t know when we’d do it if we don’t take that giant step now,” she said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Kristin Jensen in Washington at kjensen@bloomberg.net ; Catherine Dodge in Washington at cdodge1@bloomberg.net

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
There is another component to this "public option" that a lot of people don't realize.

All doctors and nurses would be unionized.
Can you say MILLIONS of dollars in extra dues flowing into one of the biggest supporters of liberals?
Not saying that is the primary reason behind the push for the public option, but I am sure they don't mind the side effect of it.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
The funny thing about that dumb azz is she knows she is the most despised politician in washington, and when it was asked of her what she thought of that, her responce was that people didn't like her politics but they liked her personally just fine.

Can you say denile?
Her chances of re-election arn't looking to good.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
There is another component to this "public option" that a lot of people don't realize.

Can you say MILLIONS of dollars in extra dues flowing into one of the biggest supporters of liberals?
Not saying that is the primary reason behind the push for the public option, but I am sure they don't mind the side effect of it.

:light:

I never thought of that.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA

More Obama paybacks. :mad:

M

MPS

The funny thing about that dumb azz is she knows she is the most despised politician in washington, and when it was asked of her what she thought of that, her responce was that people didn't like her politics but they liked her personally just fine.

Can you say denile?
Her chances of re-election arn't looking to good.

She has also made this comment, "Anyone who has ever known me, knows not to mess with me."

ohhhhhh you're so tough Pelosi....isn't this a bully attitude.....hypocrite!

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
I hope all the Dems keep fighting over this. Everyday they are looking worse. San Fran is where all the tough people come from! :eek:

My guess is they are going to split it up. Pass the first part that has most of what everyone agrees on and then the second half will be shuved down our throats or pushed thru using the nuclear option. Then al those Democraps just need to worry about getting re-elected! :confused:

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I hope all the Dems keep fighting over this. Everyday they are looking worse. San Fran is where all the tough people come from! :eek:

My guess is they are going to split it up. Pass the first part that has most of what everyone agrees on and then the second half will be shuved down our throats or pushed thru using the nuclear option. Then al those Democraps just need to worry about getting re-elected! :confused:

I think it is dead.
A lot of dems were willing to go against their constituants (sp?) as long as bo's numbers were high. They were counting on his popularity pulling them thru.

Well, his poll numbers have fallen to below 47% among likely voters. That means he has lost 5% of the voters that voted for him and makes his ability to help other dems that are in trouble not look so good. So the dems will have to go it alone.

They may try to split it up and pass it without any republican support, but it would be tantamount to political suicide and they know it. THey will make a big push, yell and scream, pass blame and call the republicans the party of no and then kill it. They will try to say it was the republicans that killed the health care deal.

Bo is already setting the stage. He is putting out that there is a republican conspiracy to kill health care reform, so the ground work is being set.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I think it is dead.
A lot of dems were willing to go against their constituants (sp?) as long as bo's numbers were high. They were counting on his popularity pulling them thru.

Well, his poll numbers have fallen to below 47% among likely voters. That means he has lost 5% of the voters that voted for him and makes his ability to help other dems that are in trouble not look so good. So the dems will have to go it alone.

They may try to split it up and pass it without any republican support, but it would be tantamount to political suicide and they know it. THey will make a big push, yell and scream, pass blame and call the republicans the party of no and then kill it. They will try to say it was the republicans that killed the health care deal.

Bo is already setting the stage. He is putting out that there is a republican conspiracy to kill health care reform, so the ground work is being set.

But why is he saying he WILL get it done?? Why through yourself under the bus??

F
Dec 1, 2007
NORTH BEND
Who said the anti-christ had to have a (y) chromisome?

The botox bag needs to be investigated to the nth degree. The hypocracy of her alledgingly not being briefed on the interogation of terrorists and the way she went after Bush when that beotch KNEW all along is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen...especially when she tried to sleaze her way out of it. Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG!!!!

D
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
Who said the anti-christ had to have a (y) chromisome?

The botox bag needs to be investigated to the nth degree. The hypocracy of her alledgingly not being briefed on the interogation of terrorists and the way she went after Bush when that beotch KNEW all along is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen...especially when she tried to sleaze her way out of it. Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG, Impeach the BAG!!!!

I thought for sure she was finished when that story broke. I get tired of this cliche but it is true: if that would have been a republican she/he would have been crucified. Or to put it another way, would be flying a cargo ship full of rubber dog sh!t out of Hong Kong!

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
But why is he saying he WILL get it done?? Why through yourself under the bus??

He's not throwing himself under the bus. He's setting himself up as the guy that REALLY tried but those nasty republicans stopped him.

With the new deficit numbers (up to 9 trillion in 10 years, not including obamacare) it will be almost impossible to get anything thru that will do anything at all.

now there is a chance they will pass something, it just won't amount to anything and won't do anything other than window dressing.

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
Here's a good copy and paste for ya! LOL

Let me get this straight.

We're going to pass a health care plan written by a committee whose head says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts themselves from it, signed by a president that also hasn't read it, and who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's nearly broke.

What possibly could go wrong?

Premium Features