• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ok so who else is going to trade their Dodge 6.7L cummins in on a Ford ASAP?

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I've had 2 6.7's. First one was an 07, the first 3 months I had that thing it was in the dealers shop more than in mine, for emission related issues. After the 4th time being told it would need a new exhaust system and turbo, but only doing a reprogam to fix it for 3-4 days, I ordered up an H&S XRT and turbo back exhaust. The best I could get out of that empty was 13mpg, towing my 32' haulmark with 6 sleds it was about 7-8mpg. After doing the delete's/exhaust/programmer I jumped up to about 15 empty and 9-10 pulling. As time went on (did the delete's at 10k) the thing kept getting better mileage and once it hit about 40k I was up to 21-22 empty consistently and 12-13 towing which I was happy with. And the power.... sweet!!

Then, at 107k miles I decided I would try a new one and picked up an '11. Brought it home and immediately deleted and tuned it exactly the same as the other one. Mileage prior to delete's was again around 13 empty but after deleted I only gained 2 mpg at best, it has been getting better since it hit 30-35k miles and now with about 45k I'm getting around 18 empty. I'm hoping for 12 towing but I'm definately not as happy with this one as the '07, power and economy wise. H&S says that the newer one's (10 and newer) have different programming and that has been tougher to get more tunes for and when it comes to MPG, they wont even talk about it but they say it's because of the new ECM's.

Bottom line, leave it to the gubment to come up with a plan to help save the environment....... burn more fuel. I've heard good things about the new Fords as far as MPG's go, in stock form. I didn't have any concern on deleting mine and warranty, once you get rid of the EPA parts you have a Cummins, and your warranty will still cover things not directly related to the parts you deleted.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I have currently reached the limit of my free membership. I probably have something helpful to add but will never be able to read it.

Dog, I have a 2006 5.9 HO, kinda of glad I bought it just before all the emissions crap went nuts. I get in the mid teens in the winter pulling our 3 place enclosed. Empty I can get in the 20's. Its bone stock and really I cant think of a time I even needed more power......................

Are you using the tow/haul mode ? The reason I bring this up, if its a small trailer on the flats, I get WAY better miliage NOT useing that mode. That mode is really for larger/steeper stuff.

Just a thought

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
too tired to read all the posts. Brand new bone stock 2012 laramie 3500 single wheel. 15mpg or less, hand calculated at the pump and all it does is drive. haven't towed anything yet. but if it sucks as bad as yours, I'm going back to my chipped/piped/intaked 5.9L with 33" mud tires and get 11mpg at 80mph with 2 sleds on my deck and 2 on an open trailer behind it.

rip the emissions bull-$h*t off that damn truck and get mileage or go back to a 5.9 and dump some money in it to make it nicer. I don't think I'll end up modifying my truck because of the warranty (huge resale and trade value) and because my dealer is very strict. they don't want me to change tire sizes, let alone straight pipe the fecker

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
yeah that is the truth. And I'm not talking about the guy that once a day puts it to the floor and then claims he really beats the snot out of his truck. Those trucks need to be loaded heavy and run hard. Its not just the engine that needs to get loosened up. The whole drive train needs it.

Can't see any more of my posts, but yeah, I meant tow heavy with it.
Get your big trailer behind it for some good hard miles.
Both diesels I've had, a 02 Dmax and now 07 Cummins, I bought used, low miles but the original owners used them to pull their TT's pretty much exclusively when new. Both trucks always got on the good end of respectable mileage. The Dodge gets avg 18.5mpg, calculated, in city/commuting. Both get/got 13-14 pulling a 2place enclosed, 12-13mpg pulling a 5klb boat 75-80mph.
Know friends that bought diesels brand new, no towing, and they complain about low mileage. Those that work their trucks never hear the complaints (talking pre dpf trucks).

Here is what I know. This was a 16' two place enclosed trailer that I'd pulled with my two previous trucks. One was a 2000 Chevrolet 1500 with the 5.3L and 3.73 gears. I got 8-9 mpg towing it with that truck and it struggled with it on anything but flat ground with no wind. The next truck I pulled it with was a 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD with the 8.1L big block, 5 spd allison and 3.73 gears (265/75/16 tires on both) and that truck didn't even know that trailer was there, even in the wind. With the 8.1L I'd get 8-10 mpg towing that very same trailer.

I sold that trailer and bought a 33' enclosed. Massive old thing. Pulling THAT trailer with my big block I'd get 7-9 mpg.

Now, the new diesel again apparently was pulling my OLD trailer which is slightly less than half the size of my new trailer at 10 mpg. The diesel should have been getting at LEAST 12 mpg towing this small of a trailer MINIMUM.

So whats going to happen when I start pulling my big trailer with it which is why I bought the damned thing to begin with is that I'm going to be getting 7 mpg towing it and the cost of fuel is $0.50 more per gallon so not only now do I have a $625 a month payment on a truck, its costing me %20 more in fuel and I'm not getting any more range out of it, the only advantage is it tows my big trailer up hills better than my old BBC (which quite frankly pulled this trailer fine to begin with).

So in other words, whats happened is, everything I've said about how diesels were absolutely positively NOT economical unless you are towing a HUGE trailer everywhere you go has been proven %100 correct, and I'm now kicking myself in the *** for buying the god damned thing.

Its a nice truck, but the mileage on this thing is absolutely abysmal.
I've got a 2004 cummins with no muffler or car on it and I have been getting 18-21 mpg on the highway with no load... Don't have a huge trailer yet so have to wait and see how it does then.

Premium Features