• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ok so who else is going to trade their Dodge 6.7L cummins in on a Ford ASAP?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Yeah .... It is putting down 2x the torque.

The 8.1L was rated at 320 horsepower @ 4800 RPM, 450 ft-lb @ 2800 rpm .... great power band for a towing gas motor .... but, go up to 5,000+ feet and you're probably getting somewhere around 275 horse and 400 ft-lb out of it, which is still enough to tow the loads I was hauling well enough .... but .... even at altitude, the diesel will put down 800 ft-lb because of the turbo .... so yeah, there is that :)

i had a 5.7L tundra before the 6.7 cummins. i know....apples to oranges.... but i can relate to what you are saying when getting in elevation. i pulled an 27' enclosed, and it had its hands full in the mountains.....

M

M8fever

Jan 3, 2010
Wyoming
I would not recommend larger tires with the 3.73 gears. I have the same set up with 35" tires and my RPM's are 1550 at 65. so I am always going faster to get the RPM's up to about 1700. My next set will be smaller. Wish i had 4.10's that is the only thing needing changed.

I would recommend deleting your EGR and DPF, I will leave it at that. If your interested in MPG or details PM me since every one is experts and wont believe my MPG's anyway. I have been deleted for 25,000 miles with 0 issues.

I have an enclosed 4 place so it will suck some fuel.

Dodge can reprogram your speedo up to 285/70/17 size tires.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Hypertech also makes a speedo calibrator/code reader that works great. Not a "tuner" so no warranty issues either. Changes the speedometer and that's it.
Have 35's on mine and speedo is spot on with my Nav gps.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
My 6.7L nearly got burned to the ground I was so pissed at the mileage. I did the DPF/EGR delete, MBRP Turbo back 4" with straight through muffler, AFE stage 2 dry filter and a superchips programmer. Even under the hood it looks like a 5.9L. Now its a Cummins. Yes, it still burns the fuel with an enclosed loaded with sleds, tools and gear... but you wouldn't even know its there. And that is the difference between the gasser!

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
2011 Dodge

My 2011 Dodge with the DPF delete only and an XRT PRO tuner on level 1, 29k miles. Last month took a trip from SE Idaho to NW Montana pulling a 30' fifth wheel camper that weighs about 11k loaded, 1300 mile round trip averaged 11.8 mpg, some bad winds some days and 1 tank of fuel got over 13.
Labor day weekend same camper but with a small open trailer on the back with 2 4 wheelers. Went to Island Park for the weekend, got 11.8.
And as someone else said, it doesn't know you have any thing behind it. Never really been on a long trip empty, but I believe it would do 17-19 empty at 65, 75 would be less.
I traded a 2009 Duramax for this truck, and the dodge does 1-2 mpg better under most circumstances, I am sure there are those that will say I'm crazy but that is my experience. Pulling a 2 place open trailor with 2 atvs to Nevada 1year with duramax got 12, same trailor next year, 15 with the Dodge, this was before I did the dpf delete.
By the way, love the truck, hate the price of Diesel. So it sits in the driveway waiting for something to pull.
I read somewhere that the transmission tuner for this is a good thing but would need advice before I do that, so if someone has that advice pm me or tell us all what you know.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
While it's new get out and pull the piss out of it. Take a few good road trips up to the tunnel and back then do it some more. The only diesels that I've seen get bad mileage aftr breaking in are the ones that were babies when new. Work the truck good in the first 10k miles. I will help.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
While it's new get out and pull the piss out of it. Take a few good road trips up to the tunnel and back then do it some more. The only diesels that I've seen get bad mileage aftr breaking in are the ones that were babies when new. Work the truck good in the first 10k miles. I will help.

yeah it does need to get some towing miles in bigtime. maybe i'll haul the dirt bike up to steamboat to go ride on sunday

X

Xcelerated performance

Dec 13, 2010
what you re pulling with that dodge isn't really pulling. if you are looking for the best milage and power you have to run the 6.4 ford with the spartan. i regularly tow 30000lbs plus with my ford but i'm not worried about fuel economy when i pull that kind of loads. but with 2 sled and gear and 190 gallons of fuel i get 18 to 20 easy. running with 3.73 gears. you don't want a truck with 4.10 your milage will get worse you have more than enough hp and torque to be running 3.73, 3.55 or 3,31 gear easy. ford or dodge all the new trucks with all the emisions on them get crap for mileage. that is my thoughts. but ford is the way to go!!!!! if you want mileage get a smart car

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I love my dodge 1 ton biggest thing is get rid of that exhaust and put a chip and air intake I get 17-18 around town, over 20 on the hwy empty and I recently pulled a 35' trails west trailer loaded with the contents of a house and average 15 which I thought was decent with the terrain and I also have a lead foot and big tires

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I regularly tow 30000lbs........

Wow !! You feel comfortable exceeding the maximum loaded trailer weight by that much ? According to Ford's ratings for model year 2010, the max. trailer weight for an F350 with 3.73 gears is 16,300 lbs. Go to 4.10 gears and the rating is 18,800 lbs. Even an F450, std. cab, 2 wd, with 4.30 gears is only rated for 24,600 lbs.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado

yeah that is the truth. And I'm not talking about the guy that once a day puts it to the floor and then claims he really beats the snot out of his truck. Those trucks need to be loaded heavy and run hard. Its not just the engine that needs to get loosened up. The whole drive train needs it.

X

Xcelerated performance

Dec 13, 2010
16000 isn't even a load. but a 30 foot 8 wide stock trailer with 20 1500lbs cows in it is. and the 30 feet isn't including the gooseneck part. lol

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
My 2011 Dodge with the DPF delete only and an XRT PRO tuner on level 1, 29k miles. Last month took a trip from SE Idaho to NW Montana pulling a 30' fifth wheel camper that weighs about 11k loaded, 1300 mile round trip averaged 11.8 mpg, some bad winds some days and 1 tank of fuel got over 13.
Labor day weekend same camper but with a small open trailer on the back with 2 4 wheelers. Went to Island Park for the weekend, got 11.8.
And as someone else said, it doesn't know you have any thing behind it. Never really been on a long trip empty, but I believe it would do 17-19 empty at 65, 75 would be less.
I traded a 2009 Duramax for this truck, and the dodge does 1-2 mpg better under most circumstances, I am sure there are those that will say I'm crazy but that is my experience. Pulling a 2 place open trailor with 2 atvs to Nevada 1year with duramax got 12, same trailor next year, 15 with the Dodge, this was before I did the dpf delete.
By the way, love the truck, hate the price of Diesel. So it sits in the driveway waiting for something to pull.
I read somewhere that the transmission tuner for this is a good thing but would need advice before I do that, so if someone has that advice pm me or tell us all what you know.

H&S overdrive tune is so worth it! you wont look back.

2010 mega 6.7 H&S tuned!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I have an 09 6.7 Dodge, 3.73 gears. Completely stock other than unplugging the EGR. On long trips empty I can get about 20mpg, and hauling a deck/2 sleds and the cab full of gear I get about 15 or 16 on the highway. The only time I've gotten less than that was on the same trip coming back across Nevada with a good headwind, and then it dropped to about 12. I should mention that I rarely go over 65 unless I'm passing.

You might check to see what flash the computer is on, they can make a difference in how your truck runs.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I have an 09 6.7 Dodge, 3.73 gears. Completely stock other than unplugging the EGR. On long trips empty I can get about 20mpg, and hauling a deck/2 sleds and the cab full of gear I get about 15 or 16 on the highway. The only time I've gotten less than that was on the same trip coming back across Nevada with a good headwind, and then it dropped to about 12. I should mention that I rarely go over 65 unless I'm passing.

You might check to see what flash the computer is on, they can make a difference in how your truck runs.

This is how I ran my '11 6.7 before it was lemon'd out by chrysler and I got about the same milage that your talking about as well! Just have to learn to live with the check engine light but for that kinda milage I had no issues with!!!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I know mines older , but same engine. Deleted that sucker within a week of buying it. Roughly 11k since then. Just got back (this afternoon) on a 580m round trip to carls in Boise and back. Trip avg of 18.3. Empty down, '13 pro 163 back. The 6.7 is a great engine. It's really too bad that they can't make em without all the emissions stuff. Were stuck with it now. As far as break-in procedure...I work at a Deere dealership. As an example we sold a customer a 9430 wheel tractor late in the spring. First thing they did with it was hook it to a bankout wagon. Idled around alot and got the first 400 hrs or so at very light loads. That tractor now burns more oil and fuel than the same tractor we sold them in the fall that got hooked to a 36' chisel and got it's guts pulled out from day one.
Long story short, it's a diesel. Hook up a big load,(as much as you're comfortable pulling) and flog it. I don't mean abuse it but make it work. It will help.
I drive a 6.7 powered f550 every day at work....wouldn't trade 3 of em for my cummins

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
This is how I ran my '11 6.7 before it was lemon'd out by chrysler and I got about the same milage that your talking about as well! Just have to learn to live with the check engine light but for that kinda milage I had no issues with!!!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

If you don't mind me asking what was it bought back for?

lucasMX358

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
Dickinson, ND
I recently bought a 2011 dodgemega cab with cummins,it is deleted and chipped running 285/60/20 tires, empty to haydays and parents house was getting 19.3 average round trip on 1000. Buddy just took my truck and trailer 22+5 inline, with a nasty head wind this past weekend and was averaging 13-14. wind was 20-30head/crosswind. Love the truck, cant wait to make a west trip to see what it will do.

Premium Features