• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New sled what to get?

R
Feb 16, 2016
Hey guys, my first post here. I have a bit of a conniption here, I can't for the life of me decide which sled to get. So far I have it narrowed down to the Ski doo Tundra Xtreme, Summit Sp 600 154 or a Polaris pro rmk 600. I live in central Ontario so only about 1.5-5 feet of snow, this winter has sucked. I normally ride through tight trees with a few steep hills, (a summit would still fit fine). A lot of our riding is stop/go and technical. I do enjoy carving up a field here and there. I do explore quite a few rough untracked areas. I have quite a few questions. First would it take much to make a summit or pro rmk crawl along like a tundra? Is the 16 inch track on the Doos helpful, does it float better, or is it about the same because the sled is heavier? Also do the pogos and flat belly pan on the tundra really help it in deep snow,(less drag), is it even noticeable? I know the a arm front will turn better and handle the bumps better but if I can't stop my track from spinning and leaving a trench/almost get stuck, what's the point? Is the ride quality that bad with the pogos? Granted anything newer would be a huge step up from my '86 tundra lt. Is the XM chassis easier to carve and sidehill or should I go for the lighter sled? Is the poo's 600 comparable to the ETEC? I also like the wider ski stance of the pro and summit, but my current tundra is only 28.5 inches wide without my 8inch ski skins, (you get thrown around at every little bump in your path). Would the newer tundra be alot more stable? And for a bit of road running, 2km or so, how would the tracks hold up? Really what sled would have the most ability and go the most places! Also if I got a doo I would probably get the articulating suspension as it is said to help greatly in reverse, does it? Any issues with these sleds? Reliability? Durability? Whatever snowmobile I get I will put the widest possible ski skins on. Ice scratchers would also be a must. Should I wait for next year? I know it's a little lengthy but quite frankly nothing else is giving me a good comparison. I would like to hear from people who have rode both. Feel free to suggest other sleds, but an 800 is a lot of sled for me as I'm only 5'4 140. Also it must be light, under 500 pounds. I know they will all be a pig to get unstuck but, can't be as bad as my 98 skandic swt I used to have! I got it stuck good in a slushy ditch by myself, had to lift it about 2 feet straight up (not fun). Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to what you have to say! Agility is key for me. Yes I know the sleds are for different purposes, so please don't tell me that it isn't a fair comparison.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
The Polaris Pro RMK 800 Series 6 2.6" comes in at 408 pounds. I have not ridden a doo in a long time so I can't compare. What part of Ontario do you ride? Been there many times. Even buzzed over to Quebec one time from Kenora, then home. Sleds only.

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Fyi, I would caution against a pro if you regularly have low snow/road riding conditions. You will run into overheating issues. If you do decide to go the polaris route, look at the SKS which has an extra cooler or look into adding a cooler to the pro.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I'd suggest checking out the Polaris 600 RMK 144, non-Pro.

39" - 41" Adjustable width front end, narrow for pow, wide for trail.

The 2" Track will move in powder but will be good on trail.

The 600 has good power and reliability.

450 lbs.

Pro chassis.

Better cooling than a Pro in hard snow conditions, it has additional cooling capacity.

Bogey wheels are standard and will help if you need to run some road.

No worry chain case.

Pretty much everything you want...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Feb 25, 2016
We have had the same issue snoluver is talking about. They are great sleds all around. You can't beat the weight. But the overheating is the one issue with these sleds. We can be on a regularly groomed trail and it will run in the 170's if the scratchers are not down while are 08 RMK is running about 122-130 on the same trail with scratchers up. Once you are off trail in fresh powder it does run cooler.

C
Nov 29, 2008
either one will be a huge step forward.
Have the 600 pro 155 and find it to do / go just about anywhere (0 -3000 elevation). Definitely needs scratchers down for low snow as they heat up pretty quickly. Tundra extreme looks like a nice sled choice too - maybe more utility / practical but possibly not quite as much fun.
The articulating tracks are great for poking in places where you can't always pin it to get out and I suspect that the tundra runs cooler in harder pack.

Had considered the Tundra Extreme for a bit as well because of mixed conditions / low snow .... looking at the 155 voyageur fans for next year as a low snow / utility sled too.

Premium Features