• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Modifying Brake Lever

N
Oct 10, 2010
Jackson Wy
Having problem with the reach on the 21 850 Pro brake lever. I like the dog leg shape which helps with my finger length but it is just too far of a reach to have my finger on it continuously. I am thinking of taking a file and shaving down the portion that drives the master cylinder piston. It would loosen the parking brake but I am ok with that because it is way to tight and I can barely set the parking brake on the first notch anyway. I would start using the second notch afterwards. I am new to the Axys and have no clue so let me know your thoughts.

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
Filing it down will work but it is a PITA to get it right where you want it. TKI make a closer to the bar lever for cheap $50 ish. Or even better is Skinz adjustable lever, ,heated or non-heated.
It can be adjusted to exactly where you want it. The Skinz is definitely more pricey.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
2nd the tki. I thought they were overrated until I tried one on another sled, had one ordered that night.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
My experience with unheated aluminum brake levers is that they can get so cold with thin gloves as to discourage a finger on the brake at all times.

Fwiw one can easily diy heat a Tki lever.
Much cheaper than skinz…

N
Oct 10, 2010
Jackson Wy
Before I ordered a new lever I decided to take the stock lever off and see what if I could file it down. I had to take off more than an 1/8 of an inch to bring it to a more comfortable position and also so that I could use the parking brake easily. It is much better for both.

I find the brake very sensitive so I am not sure why the factory setting requires huge force to set the parking brake on the first notch. For that reason I avoided using the parking brake, now its a breeze to set the brake.

The modification has made a big difference on both of my issues so I will see how the lever feels on the next ride before I consider a different lever. I was sursprised that the lever which looks and feels like aluminum was actually a composite of some sort. That is some solid plastic! and good to know that it will not have the cold transfer of metal.

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
My experience with unheated aluminum brake levers is that they can get so cold with thin gloves as to discourage a finger on the brake at all times.

Fwiw one can easily diy heat a Tki lever.
Much cheaper than skinz…
How do you diy heat a TKI I have that lever and would like to do it? It is a cold lever being all metal.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
We had some discussion about heated levers over on this thread where @law.74 described his DIY version.
thanks zaasman. I responded in that thread with my limited experience with heated brake levers this season.
Long story short, too little time on the snow but an on-off switch and cheap heating element paired with a TKI lever would make for a very inexpensive heated option.

awd95mn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010

I can't speak to these on durability or feel as I have one for each of my sleds on order, but they seem to fix the problem of the cold brake finger as the portion you touch is plastic.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Big fan of the TKI

I put a strip of rubberized mastic tape on the lever and my finger doesn't get cold. I use thin gloves too.

Before that, it was definitely cold

bigtvents

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Armstrong, B.C.
Big thumbs up for the 3D Logik. Been using it for about 400 miles, and really like it. Shorter than stock, but similiar material, and adjustable. Individual replacement pieces are available if you do happen to break anything. Also great customer service. Thanks, Chris !

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Get the 3D Logik~!

I can't speak to these on durability or feel as I have one for each of my sleds on order, but they seem to fix the problem of the cold brake finger as the portion you touch is plastic.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Ordered mine last week ! With he prohibitive costs of new sleds, I'm going to re-furbish the old gal some, be way cheaper, and for me and my style of riding, should work juuust fine ?
This is a small step to that process (y)

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Y’all are too weird. I swear last night I was mulling over my brake lever situation and here we are, discussing brake levers. Snowest reads my mind. Just like my phone does!

Last edited:

awd95mn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010

After having several days on these levers I can say I would purchase them again. Having the adjustability is really nice. I like how they perform on both my Axys and G4.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Broke 2 of these in our group.

Pretty weak.

They sell an aluminum pivot piece that might be worth doing.

Which part is weak, do you mean to say the pivot pin is breaking?

I'm using a skinz lever which I like pretty well, but it's not perfect. I've been interested in this one.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
They are great about warrantying parts if needed. The billet shorty is for a different purpose/customer than the standard lever.
I do believe they are switching to a carbon fiber/nylon material for next year that will be stronger for the standard lever.

The plastic part snaps off.

They must know it’s an issue since they sell this now.

Premium Features