• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

McCain taps Alaska governor for VP. Read the last few lines, Can you say snowmobile??

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
all you men who would be more than willing to take over for your wife while she is travelling and campaigning so that you can nurture your 4-month old child - kudos to you. :D

I'm just curious - how would your wives feel about leaving their 4-month old baby to travel and campaign? Or, bring the baby along on the campaign trail? Then, if you win, uprooting your other children from their friends, school, community, sports teams, dance lessons, church - insert item here - to serve 4 years as VP?

I ask this because the handful of women I've chatted with this morning on this topic feel as I do - and we are talking women of a variety of ages with children that span from less than 1-yr to adult, women who are engineers, stay-at-home moms, and part-time bread-winners. That doesn't mean I'm right and the guys on SW who disagree with me are wrong, I'm just trying to get y'all to see a point of view other than your own.

I wouldn't put my political asperations ahead of my children's needs, and I won't vote for a candidate who asks someone else to do that - even if her husband is a "snowmachine" racing champion! ;)

F
Apr 15, 2008
Northeast, CO
I could not imagine raising a 4 month old on the campaign trail, let alone one that probably requires extra care. I have a 1 month old baby and my wife stays at home. She looks and feels like she ran a 100 mile race by the end of the day. Palin is one heck of a lady if she can do both jobs correctly!

I couldn't guess how many thousands of households up and move for jobs on a yearly basis in this country. I do not hold that against them at all if this is the decision they make as a family. There are friends, school, community, dance, sports or whatever they may leave behind all accross the country not just where they are currently living.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
I thought McCaim would win for sure before today, now I think he hosed himself and us too. She has been a Gov. for two years, and the mayor of a town with a Pop. of 9,000 before that. As for the head of the Alaska Ntnl. Guard, every Gov. is head of their National Guard. It does not mean that she has any military experience. This is a blunder that we all will pay for, IMHO.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
So far it looks like a good pick. I like the fact that she is a down home person. I don't care who he picked I won't vote for Obama

Soccered
"McCain chose her for a myriad of reasons - pro-choice being one of them. By choosing to have her son, she obligated herself to following through with that choice - putting her son, not the country first, as long as he needs her. A woman or man can only serve me as an American when they are unencumbered by other obligations, and raising a family at this stage is a huge obligation."
"I wouldn't put my political asperations ahead of my children's needs, and I won't vote for a candidate who asks someone else to do that - even if her husband is a "snowmachine" racing champion! "

I don't know if you're misinformed, or mis-spoken, but Palin is Pro-Life.
And does this mean that you're going to contibute to getting Obama and Biden elected then...

W
Jan 2, 2008
Hillary went really easy on Palin when asked what she thought of her nomation ROFL

I wonder how much it will cost Obama to get Hillary to try and get those women back to Obama??

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
gonna be captain obvious here, but i thought you didn't believe in god!! of course i could have you messed up with someone else too!!!!!!!

Nope! your right! my bad! must be the democrate in me trying to get out! ;)

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
So she hunts, she fishes, anowmobiles is a good mom and ousted the govenor of Alaska. Do we know anything on here political views, I haven't heard one thing on here unless I flashed past it. What is her stance on foriegn policy, how about health care, what about the little thing called budget that we don't have in this country. Could go on, what about all our troups over seas are we going to see them back soon or just keep sending them over.

Then there is the real imporant most pressing issue yet. High speed trains from the US to Cananda that can transport our trucks and sleds to the great snomobiling spots in Canada in les then 2 hours.

Bottom line is there are a lot of unknown issues, she could end up being our next President if McCain is elected and something happened.

From her Wikipedia page:

Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council from 1992 to 1996. In 1996, she challenged and defeated incumbent mayor, John Stein, criticizing wasteful spending and high taxes. The ex-mayor and sheriff tried to organize a recall campaign, but failed. Palin followed through on her campaign promises to reduce her own salary, and to reduce property taxes by 60%. She ran for reelection against Stein in 1999, winning by an even larger margin. Palin was also elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.

Budget concerns CHECK ! ! !

In 2002, Palin made an unsuccessful bid for Lieutenant Governor, coming in second to Loren Leman in a five-way race in the Republican primary. After Frank Murkowski resigned from his long-held U.S. Senate seat in mid-term to become governor, Palin interviewed to be his possible successor.[citation needed] Murkowski appointed his daughter, then-Alaska State Representative Lisa Murkowski.

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest. After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican Party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail. Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.

Ethics CHECK ! ! ! !

Highlights of Palin's tenure as Governor include a successful push for an ethics bill, and also shelving pork-barrel projects supported by fellow Republicans.[citation needed] Though she initially expressed support for the Gravina Island Bridge project, once it had become a nationwide symbol of wasteful earmark spending and federal funding was lost, Palin decided against filling the $320 million gap with state money. "Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on 'federal dollars,' as the state does today."

She has challenged the state's Republican leaders, helping to launch a campaign by Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell to unseat U.S. Congressman Don Young[18] and publicly challenging Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings.

Palin frequently had an approval rating above 90% in 2007. A poll published by Hays Research on July 28, 2008 showed Palin's approval rating at 80%, while another Ivan Moore poll showed it at 76%, a drop which the pollsters attributed to the controversial firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan.

Budget AND ETHICS CHECK ! ! !

She opposes same-sex marriage

Looks good to me

On September 11, 2007, the Palins' then eighteen-year-old son Track, eldest of five, joined the Army. He now serves in an infantry brigade and will be deployed to Iraq on September 11, 2008.

Probably wants a safe outcome as soon as it's safe and prudent.

Last edited:
R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
all you men who would be more than willing to take over for your wife while she is travelling and campaigning so that you can nurture your 4-month old child - kudos to you. :D

I'm just curious - how would your wives feel about leaving their 4-month old baby to travel and campaign? Or, bring the baby along on the campaign trail? Then, if you win, uprooting your other children from their friends, school, community, sports teams, dance lessons, church - insert item here - to serve 4 years as VP?

I ask this because the handful of women I've chatted with this morning on this topic feel as I do - and we are talking women of a variety of ages with children that span from less than 1-yr to adult, women who are engineers, stay-at-home moms, and part-time bread-winners. That doesn't mean I'm right and the guys on SW who disagree with me are wrong, I'm just trying to get y'all to see a point of view other than your own.

I wouldn't put my political asperations ahead of my children's needs, and I won't vote for a candidate who asks someone else to do that - even if her husband is a "snowmachine" racing champion! ;)

Just curious if you feel the same way about Obama and his young children? Also, I think in some cases uprooting a family isn't always a negative thing. People move all time for a variety of reasons and it can be a good thing. Just thinking out loud.

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
From her Wikipedia page:

Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council from 1992 to 1996. In 1996, she challenged and defeated incumbent mayor, John Stein, criticizing wasteful spending and high taxes. The ex-mayor and sheriff tried to organize a recall campaign, but failed. Palin followed through on her campaign promises to reduce her own salary, and to reduce property taxes by 60%. She ran for reelection against Stein in 1999, winning by an even larger margin. Palin was also elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.

Budget concerns CHECK ! ! !

In 2002, Palin made an unsuccessful bid for Lieutenant Governor, coming in second to Loren Leman in a five-way race in the Republican primary. After Frank Murkowski resigned from his long-held U.S. Senate seat in mid-term to become governor, Palin interviewed to be his possible successor.[citation needed] Murkowski appointed his daughter, then-Alaska State Representative Lisa Murkowski.

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest. After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican Party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail. Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.

Ethics CHECK ! ! ! !

Highlights of Palin's tenure as Governor include a successful push for an ethics bill, and also shelving pork-barrel projects supported by fellow Republicans.[citation needed] Though she initially expressed support for the Gravina Island Bridge project, once it had become a nationwide symbol of wasteful earmark spending and federal funding was lost, Palin decided against filling the $320 million gap with state money. "Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on 'federal dollars,' as the state does today."

She has challenged the state's Republican leaders, helping to launch a campaign by Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell to unseat U.S. Congressman Don Young[18] and publicly challenging Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings.

Palin frequently had an approval rating above 90% in 2007. A poll published by Hays Research on July 28, 2008 showed Palin's approval rating at 80%, while another Ivan Moore poll showed it at 76%, a drop which the pollsters attributed to the controversial firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan.

Budget AND ETHICS CHECK ! ! !

She opposes same-sex marriage

Looks good to me

On September 11, 2007, the Palins' then eighteen-year-old son Track, eldest of five, joined the Army. He now serves in an infantry brigade and will be deployed to Iraq on September 11, 2008.

Probably wants a safe outcome as soon as it's safe and prudent.

nice work :beer;

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I thought McCaim would win for sure before today, now I think he hosed himself and us too. She has been a Gov. for two years, and the mayor of a town with a Pop. of 9,000 before that. As for the head of the Alaska Ntnl. Guard, every Gov. is head of their National Guard. It does not mean that she has any military experience. This is a blunder that we all will pay for, IMHO.

So u think the #2 on the Rep side is not ready?? Hmmmmm How is the #1 DEM more Ready???

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I find it hilarious that republicans are more enthusiastic about Palin, then they are about McCain. Way to go republicans.. you have served your country well.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I find it hilarious that republicans are more enthusiastic about Palin, then they are about McCain. Way to go republicans.. you have served your country well.

Its new news, Heard Lots about Bidin the last few days too, Does that mean the Dems don't love Ob anymore??

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
So u think the #2 on the Rep side is not ready?? Hmmmmm How is the #1 DEM more Ready???

I don"t see how you can read into my post that I want Obama to win. If you can you had better get your crystal ball fixed. I don't want McCain to loose. I just think he picked a poor running mate.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Its new news, Heard Lots about Bidin the last few days too, Does that mean the Dems don't love Ob anymore??

No, just on this site I have not seen anyone really excited about McCain, except for today with Palin. I think it would be true statement that most here like Palin better than McCain. Isn't that ironic or something?

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I don"t see how you can read into my post that I want Obama to win. If you can you had better get your crystal ball fixed. I don't want McCain to loose. I just think he picked a poor running mate.

Did not read that way but took it that you think OB is very much ready thats all.

Premium Features