• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx intake upgrade

T
Dec 19, 2007
We made an intake out the hood like Tobey has, but made a t connection so it also plums onto the stock setup. It works soo good having that cold air. This was the test unit, the permit one look better, but you get the idea.
I would really like to see someone do this concept with the filter coming out of a hole cut in the “boomerang” side panel piece facing forward. Still tied into OEM duct work. Of course, mostly for us folks that don’t ride in the trees, and flatland folks…

T
Dec 19, 2007
I'm trying the BoonDocker set up on my 24 Boost this year. Not too expensive and doesn't effect the stock intake at all. Caleb suggested it.

If that only worked on the VR1 chassis….

I think that concept is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'll be curious what you think. I'm not a fan of drawing hot air. The difference between the engine compartment and outside air has to be around 20 to 30 degrees by guessing how warm stuff gets in the Skinz hood compartments.
It’s a spring loaded ball so only draws underhood air when the (unchanged) stock vents are plugged.

One thing with a turbo is restriction in airflow drastically increases the heat that gets added to the charge air. (Like 80-100 degrees)

I think the boondocker setup will help but my entire dash is often completely covered in snow.

IMG_0952.png

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
More **** to wipe off.
It’s a spring loaded ball so only draws underhood air when the (unchanged) stock vents are plugged.

One thing with a turbo is restriction in airflow drastically increases the heat that gets added to the charge air. (Like 80-100 degrees)

I think the boondocker setup will help but my entire dash is often completely covered in snow.

View attachment 413464
Ski Doo sure seems to work OK with a dinner plate as the intake. Also this is all frog skin. Snow sticks less to frogskin then the plastic the dash area is made of. Anyone who had a Boost and didn't have snow problems didn't ride in any kind of good snow. My old Boost was always gasping for air. Every 10 seconds you would have to stop and clear intake in 3 feet of fresh.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Install hack, you don't need to take the console and upper airbox off(unless you want to) according to the directions. Just hold new airbox in place and carefully drill all the way through existing plenum for both holes. You can reach up and install the push dart.
Yeah i read the instructions and thought the removal bs was unnecessary.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ski Doo sure seems to work OK with a dinner plate as the intake. Also this is all frog skin. Snow sticks less to frogskin then the plastic the dash area is made of. Anyone who had a Boost and didn't have snow problems didn't ride in any kind of good snow. My old Boost was always gasping for air. Every 10 seconds you would have to stop and clear intake in 3 feet of fresh.
The skidoo’s dinner plate self clears as you ride.

Snow washes all the way over the console and keeps going.

Some on and off action on the boost throttle can help clear the intakes in light fluffy snow. (But you live in the cascade cement region so this doesn’t apply)

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
There is also a porosity difference in Frogskinz type materials. Some ice up very quickly others flow better air. We tested three different filter materials from three companies.

T
Dec 19, 2007
There is also a porosity difference in Frogskinz type materials. Some ice up very quickly others flow better air. We tested three different filter materials from three companies.

Which material do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The skidoo’s dinner plate self clears as you ride.

Snow washes all the way over the console and keeps going.

Some on and off action on the boost throttle can help clear the intakes in light fluffy snow. (But you live in the cascade cement region so this doesn’t apply)
Gen 4 used to blow it off but gen 5 don't seem to as much. Doos just don't bog like poo for whatever reason. I like the looks of the ibex system. Stupid price but no shelf for snow to sit on. My daughter's catalyst has the same thing. Betting it will be awesome. It will be susceptible to branches but you can remedy that and won't have snow sitting on it. I don't think more surface area automatically equates to more air if snow is going to sit on it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ran the ibexx intakes on my 24 boost in revelstoke. 3 days in a row.

Buddy ran a stock 23.

Snow wasn't crazy deep so intake bogging wasn't really an issue. What we did notice was under sustained hard riding his started to det & pop/fart more ans sooner then mine. I'd attribute this to the fact that the oem intake begins to ice up and uses the under hood valve to draw air. Higher intake Temps, more correction factors and richer running machines make for less quality runability.

More air is 100% necassary on the boosts and I do think the ibexx is a great option and the install is super easy.

Couple this with thr continually improved 24 mapping and I think it's going to resolve 99% of issues guys had before.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

Buddy ran a stock 23.

Snow wasn't crazy deep so intake bogging wasn't really an issue. What we did notice was under sustained hard riding his started to det & pop/fart more ans sooner then mine. I'd attribute this to the fact that the oem intake begins to ice up and uses the under hood valve to draw air. Higher intake Temps, more correction factors and richer running machines make for less quality runability.

More air is 100% necassary on the boosts and I do think the ibexx is a great option and the install is super easy.

Couple this with thr continually improved 24 mapping and I think it's going to resolve 99% of issues guys had before.
I’ve only had my 24’ boost out in over the hood snow once this year. Never had to clear the intakes. Diamond-S can, o/w stock. Intakes completely covered to where my 22’ would just not run at all even with extra venting in the intake tract, the 24’ would just keep going (like my G5 does) and run perfect. The 24’ is a different animal, it runs very good.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

Buddy ran a stock 23.

Just installed Ibexx vents on my 23. Install was a breeze as expected. Nice to only have to drill 1 hole in the console and not modify the airbox or anything. Not wild about frogskinz stick job on the Ibexx, some of the edges didn’t stick very well and are peeled up/back a little, I don’t think it will cause any issues though. Glad to hear they work well.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Just installed Ibexx vents on my 23. Install was a breeze as expected. Nice to only have to drill 1 hole in the console and not modify the airbox or anything. Not wild about frogskinz stick job on the Ibexx, some of the edges didn’t stick very well and are peeled up/back a little, I don’t think it will cause any issues though. Glad to hear they work well.

Chilly might ask for a new thread stating your findings.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I’ve only had my 24’ boost out in over the hood snow once this year. Never had to clear the intakes. Diamond-S can, o/w stock. Intakes completely covered to where my 22’ would just not run at all even with extra venting in the intake tract, the 24’ would just keep going (like my G5 does) and run perfect. The 24’ is a different animal, it runs very good.
That was the point of my "test" since both thr 23 ans 24 have the underwood vent. Neither had bogs or anything wild. But you could flog the 24 way harder before you can hear it detonating and doing goofy stuff from them getting heat soaked. Need to not be on vacation and I'll do some logging of the timing corrections etc. You can feel them getting softer as they heat soak. The 24 /ibexx combo stayed running way stronger for longer then any boost I've rode so far. More cold air ans less 200* IATs seems to be beneficial.

Premium Features