• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx 850 Pro Slash 155/165 2.75 vs Matryx 850 Khaos Slash 165 2.75

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Wanting to snow check once the window opens. I'm on the fence with these two after watching Brett Turcott, Dan over at Next Level Riding clinics (I'd love to go there someday) discussion about the Khaos chasis and Burandt talking about the chasis. From what they explain, Khaos 155 is a little less predictable, toss around wheelie machine while the Pro 155 is more predictable, forgiving, gets on top of the snow faster etc. The Khaos 165 (only 3 /2 inches longer) they say seems to be the best of both worlds or medium between Pro 155 and Khaos 155 with a bit more predictability of the pro but still as good great maneuverability. I really have not been able to find much on riders commenting on the Pro 165 in the mix. A buddy and I were going to go over to the Big Horns and Rent an 850 Matryx Khaos Slash 155 and 850 Matrix Khaos Slash 165 but they are booked out over a month. Plan was go ride and the dealership was brining over 4 of his personal to also try but none of that looks like it will happen. I'm pushing 50yrs old, 6'7 250lbs ish. My home is in the Black Hills, but also ride the Big horns with annual/biannual trips to Dubois or Snowies, maybe more Wyoming. For sure Colorado to visit family but none of them really go off the trail. I know the 155 will do the job in the Black Hills easy enough, I'm thinking at my size the 165 being only 3 1/2 inches longer may feel to me like a lot of guys on a shorter 155. I like to have something that is a bit forgiving but I also grew up in Eastern SD ditch banging and not afraid to hammer down and air one out but not at the expense of stiff suspension tunneling. It's where I'm half thinking

for me:
Pro 155 Good
Khaos 165 Better
Pro 165 Best?????

Aside from flipping a coin, could anyone give some input to help make this decision a little easier?

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Wanting to snow check once the window opens. I'm on the fence with these two after watching Brett Turcott, Dan over at Next Level Riding clinics (I'd love to go there someday) discussion about the Khaos chasis and Burandt talking about the chasis. From what they explain, Khaos 155 is a little less predictable, toss around wheelie machine while the Pro 155 is more predictable, forgiving, gets on top of the snow faster etc. The Khaos 165 (only 3 /2 inches longer) they say seems to be the best of both worlds or medium between Pro 155 and Khaos 155 with a bit more predictability of the pro but still as good great maneuverability. I really have not been able to find much on riders commenting on the Pro 165 in the mix. A buddy and I were going to go over to the Big Horns and Rent an 850 Matryx Khaos Slash 155 and 850 Matrix Khaos Slash 165 but they are booked out over a month. Plan was go ride and the dealership was brining over 4 of his personal to also try but none of that looks like it will happen. I'm pushing 50yrs old, 6'7 250lbs ish. My home is in the Black Hills, but also ride the Big horns with annual/biannual trips to Dubois or Snowies, maybe more Wyoming. For sure Colorado to visit family but none of them really go off the trail. I know the 155 will do the job in the Black Hills easy enough, I'm thinking at my size the 165 being only 3 1/2 inches longer may feel to me like a lot of guys on a shorter 155. I like to have something that is a bit forgiving but I also grew up in Eastern SD ditch banging and not afraid to hammer down and air one out but not at the expense of stiff suspension tunneling. It's where I'm half thinking

for me:
Pro 155 Good
Khaos 165 Better
Pro 165 Best?????

Aside from flipping a coin, could anyone give some input to help make this decision a little easier?
I’m 6’ 220. I have a NA pro matrix slash 165” 2.75 and NA Axis Khaos 163” 3” a lot of folks think the pro is too planted but I don’t feel that way of course I have messed with the suspension and you can get it light on the front end or heavy. It’s by far my favorite sled. I ended up giving the Khaos to my son . When we get messing around in the steep nasty trees that where the pro shines over the Khaos. That being said I have only ridin the Axis Khaos . From the sounds of the places you ride and and your size I’d say your right on with what you are thinking you’d love the matrix pro slash with the suspension set up for you. You can get most of wild out of the Khaos adjusting the suspension but not all of it like I said only in steep and deep the Khaos don’t do for me that’s why I make my son ride it ?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I’m 6’ 220. I have a NA pro matrix slash 165” 2.75 and NA Axis Khaos 163” 3” a lot of folks think the pro is too planted but I don’t feel that way of course I have messed with the suspension and you can get it light on the front end or heavy. It’s by far my favorite sled. I ended up giving the Khaos to my son . When we get messing around in the steep nasty trees that where the pro shines over the Khaos. That being said I have only ridin the Axis Khaos . From the sounds of the places you ride and and your size I’d say your right on with what you are thinking you’d love the matrix pro slash with the suspension set up for you. You can get most of wild out of the Khaos adjusting the suspension but not all of it like I said only in steep and deep the Khaos don’t do for me that’s why I make my son ride it ?
Good info. Since I posted I looked up one of my old sleds. 01 Mountain Cat 800. I remember 144 track length seemed at bit much before ordering without riding one first. Once I got it I loved that chassis back then and it didn't seemed too long. The stiff suspension with the adjustable Fox shocks were still really stiff if you tried to soften them a bit. That was 140hp, weight 499lbs dry (about 550+ fueled and oiled), Width 46in adjustable down to 41, and overall length was 132.5inches. With the Pro 165 being at 135.1inches that's only 2.6 inches longer that that old cat, but 15hp more, and roughly what 75lbs lighter with liquids and riding position further forward. Knowing the machine overall length is roughly the same I think that helps me adjust my thought process on how it should handle.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm a kaos guy. It was made for people like me. I've skipped around some because even though polaris sleds are great they haven't necessarily rode as light or been as fun in some terrain. I do a little of everything. I don't dislike the pro but they are more planted and harder to put on edge vs a kaos. To me the kaos is an easier riding pro with a bigger fun factor. The 165 is not out of hand. You need to decide percentages of what your doing to decide whether you want a 155 or 165 or kaos or pro. You also need to realize you can adjust your suspension and go from mild to wild. Some people come on here and gripe and have never played with their suspension. One thing about listening to burandt, his pro isn't necessarily a pro. He has changed it from what your getting.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
165 Khaos

I have a 155 Axys converted to 165 Khaos using ice age parts. don't notice a huge difference in sled manueverability, but it does climb better. it also holds a side hill line better and longer. the 155 seemed to wash out more. I don't feel it to be super khaos playful... it just works.

also khaos velocity shocks are a step up from the pro velocity shocks now offered

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
165 khaos, you get the better shocks. Worst case you add a pro limiter strap if it wheelie to much.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
My opinion (shock setup aside) is that you get more versatility to go slow and not get stuck with a longer track. Generally speaking, the heavier you are, the more beneficial a long track can be. At your size, you have no issue getting/keeping a sled on edge and under control, so shorter track isn't going to help with that. Most likely at 50yo you're not constantly playing the game of bow ties and jumping, which means there's not much advantage to going 155 (or shorter).

Make sure to swap stock shock springs for heavier ones. Hopefully your dealer can get you dialed on this, but if not there are lots of shock folks out there to help in the process. With a geared up ride weight heading toward 300# you shouldn't be riding on a sled that's setup for a guy who weighs 180#.

There are advantages to both pro and khaos. As it's been said you can tune either toward the other's handling characteristcs.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
165 Khaos 2.75... Thats what I went with. Coming off a 2019 850 pro 155 tunnel with 163 skid, it feels very similar. It is definitely well within reason for wheelies or keeping the nose down to climb. It keeps the playfulness but like many have said, tuning your suspension will make your sled do whatever you want. I think the 165 Khaos gives you a wider range of adjustability.

So I'd recommend the 165 Khaos with the 2.75 series 8 track. Its a blast.

A
Jan 11, 2011
Last season I rode my wife's 2020 khaos 155 that I converted to a 165 2.75 with khaos rails and the ice age chaotic limit strap. The sled was extremely tame. I'm on a 155 boost this year and don't miss the 165.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I just got back from the dealership after reading a couple comments here. Time was ticking if I wanted a Boost model since their list was just starting. Talked to a buddy. We decided today is the day. Asked the wife to go with and she said nope, It's guys only, asked if she wanted to ride next year. "Probably not, it's for you and your guy friends." I said, "I thought I was going to have to knock you up before next winter to keep you home, barefoot and pregnant!" She just laughed. But solidified part of what I was looking at. Wound up getting on the list and put deposits down on a pair of Matrix Pro Slash Boost 165's (can always swap to Khaos when snow check opens) and put out 500 fun coupons down. I talked to them a couple days ago and there were 2 on the list. Took slot 5 & 6. Last year they got 9 turbo allocations and manager said he talked to the rep and looked like same allocation as last year highly probable. So good chance we'll get them.

Premium Features