• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice age longer limit strap and khaos 165 suspension adjustment

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
This year i wanted to try a 165 khaos, ive always had 155 sleds and my other sled is an axys 155 khaos. So i got a 9R 165 khaos. And its significantly more planted and harder to get on edge than my axys 155. Not sure if this is the 165, the chassis change, or just adjustments. I have the elevate spindles on my axys i can try on my matryx, but was also considering the longer ice age limit strap? I. Going to try to tighten up the center shock some and see how that goes. My axys is less than 400 lbs too so that doesnt help making the new sled feel heavier either.

Side note the 9R rips and significantly better than my 21 850.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
This year i wanted to try a 165 khaos, ive always had 155 sleds and my other sled is an axys 155 khaos. So i got a 9R 165 khaos. And its significantly more planted and harder to get on edge than my axys 155. Not sure if this is the 165, the chassis change, or just adjustments. I have the elevate spindles on my axys i can try on my matryx, but was also considering the longer ice age limit strap? I. Going to try to tighten up the center shock some and see how that goes. My axys is less than 400 lbs too so that doesnt help making the new sled feel heavier either.

Put a stiffer track on.

Night and day difference from the foldover series 8.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Also alot of people seem to like the series 8 here in idaho. I dont really have any experience with it

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Series 8 gets up and goes on the snow incredibly well. But it has less overall traction and ability to trench IMO, which means you have a more planted feeling as it doesn't get the skis in the air as quickly.

Another possibility the Khaos limiter and a longer FTS.

9R rips!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
OP has a khaos already.

The series 8 and 165 length is just ski planted no matter what you do.

(I did everything last year and went to a different track this year)

Finally have a fun sled again.

R
Nov 24, 2014
I highly recommend the fox qs3 shocks for this sled. The velocity shocks are good but the fox shocks are night and day. Thowing the front track shock in 3 and the rear in one even with the stock spring adjustments makes the sled handle way more playfully.

They are not cheap but I have run them on two sleds now and I love them. Both sleds are khoas sleds. one is a 22 165 khaos

F
Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
I highly recommend the fox qs3 shocks for this sled. The velocity shocks are good but the fox shocks are night and day. Thowing the front track shock in 3 and the rear in one even with the stock spring adjustments makes the sled handle way more playfully.

They are not cheap but I have run them on two sleds now and I love them. Both sleds are khoas sleds. one is a 22 165 khaos
Hey i have qs3s in the rear on my 163 khaos. Can you tell me what pressures you run yours at in the skid? Ive been playing with FTS pressure and cant figure out where to leave it. Fox recommends like 25 psi... seems low

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010

I bought the Pro 165 last year... it was the first boost available so I jumped on it. Within minutes of being off the trail on the first ride I knew I hated it because it was so planted. I ordered the Ice Age Choas conversion with the QS3 coil shocks and I added the larger Hellfire wheels. I also got the longer limiter strap. I already had their Elevate Spindles on an another sled. I installed it all and also dropped the skid mount to the lower mounting hole in the tunnel and I put the limiter strap on the longest setting. I could tell a huge difference even on the trail. Off the trail it made it a completely different ride. Given our Deep winter here in Utah last year I was glad to be on a 165 but many times was still wishing for a bit more playfulness that a 155 would provide. When we were in 3' of new powder I'd actually run the shock settings in the middle position on both shocks and would even go the middle position on the limiter strap. Any less powered than that and I'd run it in the softest setting in the back and the stiffest or middle position on the FTS and the longest position on limiter strap. Having the adjustability was really nice.

I had the QS3 evol air shocks on my last sled and I have the stock WE Velocity shocks on my NA Matryx . I actually wouldn't spend the money on the QS3 coils again... they are an upgrade over the Velocity shocks and it's nice to switch the settings so easily but it's not a big enough improvement and I don't think it's worth the money..... The Velocity's are a pretty awesome stock shock! If I were going to upgrade I'd go with the QS3 evol air shocks.... they are a pretty big step up from the QS3 coil and worth the extra money in my opinion if you're going to upgrade your shocks.

I still haven't tried a different track but probably going to try one of the 3" options this winter.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Doesn't anyone just drill the old limiter straps these days? All the straps I have delt with in the past had at least 1/2' or more to gain just be drilling new holes.

No. Drilling limiters is for poor people with excess time on their hands. I swap the Khaos limiters to Pro’s and vice versa when the sleds are new.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Doesn't anyone just drill the old limiter straps these days? All the straps I have delt with in the past had at least 1/2' or more to gain just be drilling new holes.
That's what I do.! Why buy a part that's not needed

Premium Features