• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Left side heavier ?

W
Sep 8, 2015
anyone else notice the left side of the sled feels heavier when riding with a lightweight muffler? I tried to weigh each ski but kept coming up with way different numbers every time I did it, but I'm almost positive the left side weighs more. Is there anything that can be done with the shocks to make this feel less noticeable, like maybe running a little more preload on the left shock?

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I've got a 2014 XM and I can't say that I have noticed any difference between the left and right and I swapped out the muffler for a can a week after I bought it. Been riding this sled for 6 years now and I have zero complaints other than I now want an 850........hahaha.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I bought 5 scales a bunch of years ago to do suspension tuning.
We had a suspension tuning party one Saturday.
If you look at the picture with the sheets of paper you can see NR = No Rider. WR = with rider.
Joe stock muffler 17-G4 x 154 x 3.0
Brian stock muffler 19-G4 x 154 x 3.0
Corey HPS can 15FR x 154
Roger Jawz can 18-G4 x 154 x 3.0 Pto @ 143, Mag @ 104. W/Rider pto @ 191, mag @ 146

shocktherapy.jpg

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I agree. My 2016 T3 felt lop sided. It felt like it dropped into turns much harder and I felt like I was leaning to the right often to keep it flat. Obviously it wasn’t a bother, I just felt that’s how the sled handled. I don’t notice this nearly as much on my G4.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
I've always felt the clutch side is quite a bit heavier on my '16 Summit. I've never weighed it. I just attributed the feeling more to me being right-handed and being able to leverage the sled more naturally with the right ski dangling. Plus it let's the GGB can breathe!

W
Sep 8, 2015
interesting. man you would really think the engineers would not let a sled be so lopsided, especially a mountain sled where your in soft snow and would notice it more. I thought i read the G4s are balanced almost perfect stock, but then that goes away when you throw a different muffler on, now we know why stock mufflers are so heavy! The first time i took the hood off my XM i was kind of discussed how far off center the motor is mounted in the frame, like come on. the 850 in the G4 is much more centered in the frame, probably the major reason why people say it handles so much better. almost wanna buy a second bathroom scale now to weigh each ski at the same time. almost bet left is about 20 pounds more.

W
Sep 8, 2015
I bought 5 scales a bunch of years ago to do suspension tuning.
We had a suspension tuning party one Saturday.
If you look at the picture with the sheets of paper you can see NR = No Rider. WR = with rider.
Joe stock muffler 17-G4 x 154 x 3.0
Brian stock muffler 19-G4 x 154 x 3.0
Corey HPS can 15FR x 154
Roger Jawz can 18-G4 x 154 x 3.0 Pto @ 143, Mag @ 104. W/Rider pto @ 191, mag @ 146

View attachment 361476
so even the G4 with a jaws can is 45 pounds heavier on the clutch side?

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
heh...nobody put their toe on the scale. :ROFLMAO:
We fked around with the front coils and torsion springs to see if could get different weights. I dont remember how they turned out.
In the end, we dialed the suspensions in by set-in on both front and back bumper for our type of "mashed potato" concrete snow we get.
My sled i have the 2nd next stronger front springs and the 1st next stronger centershock spring. I sag about 5 inches on the rear bumper, about 2.5 on the front. Sidehills very straight.

Premium Features