• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's baaaaaack. The NORTHERN ROCKIES ECOSYSTEM "PROTECTION" ACT.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I really most sincerely hate this bill with such a vengeance that I'm pretty sure the dog just ran out of the room in fear.

Send those letters in, call or email your representative, please don't let them take our land.

HAHAHAHA.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Well, at least my congressman does not suport it. Sounds like none of the effected states suport this issue...

Dear Joshua:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1187, the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA). I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

NREPA, introduced by Representative Carolyn B. Maloney (D-NY) on March 14, 2013, would designate more than 20 million acres of land in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming as wilderness area. Under the wilderness designation, entrance into and use of this massive parcel of land would be extremely limited.

I support the policy of multiple land use and the greatest possible public access to our public lands. I support these policies because the people of Idaho who live off the land, such as ranchers, loggers, and miners, know best how to manage the environment. They are the true stewards of the land because the future of the land’s natural resources is necessary for their survival.

When there is local consensus, I have consistently been a supporter of passing laws to set aside public lands for the protection of ecosystems, habitats and species. However, I am always concerned when I see legislation to designate wilderness that is sponsored by a Member of Congress that is not from the state involved. One of my major concerns with H.R. 1187 is the fact that no Members in the states affected by the legislation support it, nor do local or state governments. The citizens and elected officials of Idaho should be allowed to steer Idaho’s public lands policies without outside interference. I am carefully monitoring this legislation with the thoughts and needs of Idahoans in mind.

Once again, thank you for taking time to contact me with your concerns. The thoughts and opinions of Idahoans are important to me as your Representative in the United States Congress. I also encourage you to visit my website at www.simpson.house.gov, to sign up for my weekly e-newsletter and to read more about my views on a variety of issues.

Sincerely,

Mike Simpson
Member of Congress

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I think I might like Mike Simpson....if that's how he follows through.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Yeh, I liked his outlook on things... let the people who use the lands decide how it should be used.

The optimist in me feels there is a shift comeing in the thinking about public lands but it's slow and will take some pushing from snowmobilers, OHV, mountain bikers and the like to keep it moving.

Premium Features