• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice Age spindles reviews

E
Dec 19, 2007
From my experience the elevate spindles from IceAge have the most positive feeling. Less feedback in the bars, easier to hold an edge, and don't create unwanted steering effort. The IceAge spindle ski pivot bolt is moved rearward slightly which helps with the steering effort and handling. ZRP is a little taller and more inline with the ball joints which I assume would introduce heavier steering. I'm not sure why being in line with the ball joints is the best solution besides just a marketing ploy to differentiate from competitors? Maybe someone can shed some light on this?? Both great companies and parts that achieve the same end goal imo.
The ZRP lift spindles are also ski bolt back (SBB). Being in line with the ball joints makes for a more precise steer, less steering effort, and hold a line better. Examples: any other G4/5 sled that is not a Summit or Freeride, all past XM's, all the Polaris sleds.... Next year's Freeride spindle is having the ski bolt moved back "to make steering easier and more predicable." Too bad it will have the DS4 ski which will negate any benefit that would've been realized. Look at the folks putting RS spindles on their Backcountry's, gotta be a good reason. Basically, mountain sleds need easy and precise steering as well, just like the other sleds.

S

SKIDOO EXPERT

Jan 17, 2023
Idaho
The ZRP lift spindles are also ski bolt back (SBB). Being in line with the ball joints makes for a more precise steer, less steering effort, and hold a line better. Examples: any other G4/5 sled that is not a Summit or Freeride, all past XM's, all the Polaris sleds.... Next year's Freeride spindle is having the ski bolt moved back "to make steering easier and more predicable." Too bad it will have the DS4 ski which will negate any benefit that would've been realized. Look at the folks putting RS spindles on their Backcountry's, gotta be a good reason. Basically, mountain sleds need easy and precise steering as well, just like the other sleds.
I would argue that the RS spindles are not intended for the same application as what we expect to see from IceAge and ZRP. I think there’s a balance between height of the spindle and alignment to the ball joints to achieve a proper handling snowmobile for backcountry riding. Additionally the taller spindle on the current RS is designed to add ski pressure to allow higher cornering speed with more control. I would assume this extreme change to a backcountry (which is a shorter spindle than the Gen4/5 Summit) would introduce some less desirable handling characteristics. I don’t think the folks who are putting these on their machine know what’s good for them. I’m looking forward to trying the MY24 Freeride with the revised spindle, but it doesn’t look like it’s directly in line so makes me wonder if going directly in line may be too much? For now I’m sticking with the IceAge Elevate spindle ?

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
For me its hard to understand why would anybody want taller spindles and add ski pressure. For me ideal would be shorter spindle with less caster. That would make carving more effortless and easier to tip the sled. And that's is what's coming with 2024 Freeride spindles.

E
Dec 19, 2007
For me its hard to understand why would anybody want taller spindles and add ski pressure. For me ideal would be shorter spindle with less caster. That would make carving more effortless and easier to tip the sled. And that's is what's coming with 2024 Freeride spindles.
With any of them it's going to take some adjustment to get the sled balanced again. Limiter strap should come with more adjustment overall. The taller spindle will add ride/clearance height but, yes, if you don't adjust limiter strap adds ski pressure. I think the Ice Age and ZRP spindles are better than the stock ones by far but there is going too far as well i.e. the RS spindle.

S

SKIDOO EXPERT

Jan 17, 2023
Idaho
With any of them it's going to take some adjustment to get the sled balanced again. Limiter strap should come with more adjustment overall. The taller spindle will add ride/clearance height but, yes, if you don't adjust limiter strap adds ski pressure. I think the Ice Age and ZRP spindles are better than the stock ones by far but there is going too far as well i.e. the RS spindle.
I completely agree!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you make strap longer, on a doo, to lighten steering they already have a steep approach angle. They already wheelie a ton . More harm than good. Front-end is not in the snow so i don't see the fascination. I doo see the fascination with bring ski bolt back farther.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Yeah loosening the limiter strap gives you new problems. Ofc you can compensate it by tightening rear shock and torsion springs, but again you win some you lose some. I want my steering light and hate too much ski pressure.

C
Dec 8, 2020
I switched to alternative impacts. I didn’t want the lift since I only wanted to get less feedback. I’m super happy with them. It did make the steering overall heavier but I’ll take that to ripping bars out off my hands. Much easier on side hill crossing tracks. Down trail it no longer follows every rut.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I'm going a different route, I found some used renegade spindles on eBay, (Shorter). I'm hoping to alleviate ski pressure and reduce the Carolina squat look
All though just a ski change has blown my mind. Never had a ski make this much difference. Trying a lynx ski now, tried ds3 and it was worse than the ds4 I thought.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm not sure the spindles from a renegade will work... I tried to install a set on my Summit and the angle of the attachments were not in the right places to match the Summit backset upper ball joint placement. Skis do make a huge difference and all the DS skis are lousy. From what I've ran, Mohawks are the best all around ski, Grippers are good overall, Slydog Attacks are great in soft snow but are a little aggressive in firm/hard snow. Just what I've found...

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I am also considering the AI spindles. I have the float evol r shocks from Toms and its significantly taller than Summit x , edge , and sp in my crew. Question to those using ZRP spindles, when you say suspension set up is critical, does this mean that you need sag or soft initial spring rate to compensate for spindle height? Also I presume lots of preload on center shock and loose limiter strap??

R
Nov 29, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
I run the IceAge elevate spindles on my Gen4 and Gen5 and absolutely love them. IceAge released an update to the spindle which is a heel spacer that allows guys the option to have more consistent ski rubber contact. I believe this update is now on all of the IceAge elevate kits for Ski-Doo and Lynx since my buddy just ordered a set and it came with it in the kit! I talked with Frank at iceage and he seems to know his way around a Ski Doo and was super helpful.

Do you have any pictures of this heel spacer? I’ve got the first generation spindles and I am wondering about this update.. Thanks

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I'm not sure the spindles from a renegade will work... I tried to install a set on my Summit and the angle of the attachments were not in the right places to match the Summit backset upper ball joint placement. Skis do make a huge difference and all the DS skis are lousy. From what I've ran, Mohawks are the best all around ski, Grippers are good overall, Slydog Attacks are great in soft snow but are a little aggressive in firm/hard snow. Just what I've found...
Just showed up, they look like they will fit. Won't be able to try till tomorrow
Looks like they are about 1" back and 3/4 up. All good things

IMG_20230318_091725025.jpg

EZ-LYNK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 9, 2019
I just installed a set on a 23 expert and wanted to share some pics regarding the updated heel on the Ice Age spindles. Installation was a breeze, fit and finish was perfect. The updated heel is a CNC machined part that bolts directly to the spindle. I also installed a set of SLP mohawk skis at the same time as these. There is zero slop or play just a really nice solid fit. Any concerns anyone may have had the original heel has been addressed. Also something to note with the SLP skis. The height of the mounting bolt from the floor is probably 1/2" shorter than the factory skis. So with the raised spindles and the SLP skis your only gaining about 1/2" of height sitting on the shop floor. Out on the soft snow with the keel of the skis sunk in the snow you will probably see closer to the 1" of lift. I Don't know if it really matters at the end of the day, just something I noticed. These things look so good on the sled. I can't wait to get these out on the snow!

20231024_090115.jpg 20231024_090132.jpg 20231027_112513.jpg 20231027_112454.jpg

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
what are the supposed performance increases/changes or why did you buy them?

EZ-LYNK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 9, 2019
what are the supposed performance increases/changes or why did you buy them?

I'm trying to get more predictability and control from the sled. Stock it liked to follow the ruts and was really darty at times. Side hilling and crossing old ruts was a bit of a rodeo.. I do really like the Polaris chassis for these attributes, its extremely predictable. However this is for me and my riding style so each to their own. These spindles move the ski bolt back putting it more inline with the ball joints. I have to think your going to get less bump steer and feedback through the bars. Multiple people have commented that it does reduce that significantly. I personally feel like the front of the G5 is a little low and maybe some of that is the running board angel. I feel like I'm leaning over the front a little more than I would like. The lifted spindle helps correct some of that for me. Again personal preference here.. I would think anyone coming off a Polaris would probably appreciate the subtle change this does. AND I'm a sucker for cool billet parts!! These things just look badass!!

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
agreed on the billet parts sentiment--there's just something about billet products that are universally cool. looking forward to hearing what you think about the spindles.

Premium Features