• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I have a serious problem with Alaska....

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I have been coming up there for the past few years, and I absolutely love the place, and I am seriously thinking about moving up there, somewhere between Kenai and Homer would be ideal. What is the job situation like around there? I have IT experience (computer skills), and can turn a wrench pretty good, where is the best place to look? I am married have 3 kids and would really love my kids to grow up in Alaska. It is an amazing place!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Dune, anchorage is the biggest city...but you can make descent money in soldotna, kenai or homer...the sled shops always need good wrenches as do the auto shops(midas can make a pretty good paycheck if you are good)..IT stuff would be an anchorage area thing most likely....

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
AKSNOWRIDER pretty much hit the nail on the head. Obviously the Anchorage area has the most jobs, but Kenai, Soldotna, and Homer all have potential also. There are also opportunities on the slope, but they require multi-week shifts...which some folks don't mind I guess. Alaska is a great place to work and live! Most of us came from somewhere else ourselves and never left.

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
You could check out the hospitals in the areas for IT work. It usually pays pretty good & they're often hiring.

Sep 18, 2011
i live in Soldotna, the school district is usually looking for computer buffs, theres a few auto shops around. and personally i wouldnt want to raise kids anywhere else but soldotna/kenai.

B

blownuaway

Oct 14, 2009
kenai alaska
you should look into the kenai/soldotna area as its not too hard to get into the oilfield if you dont mind hard work. most roustabout(oilfield laborer) jobs start at 18+ an hour. personally i like being able to leave my driveway and be on a trail in under a minute. the trail systems around kenai/soldotna/sterling are pretty decent with lots of fun terrain to ride. homer offers fast access to caribou hills. kenai soldotna is about 2 hours from turnagain pass, carter/crescent lake, and nelly one. oh and the kenai river has some world class fishing in the summer, duck/moose/bear hunting, and general outdoors fun. just my 2 cents worth..... i've been here 5 years now and have no plans on moving anywhere else.

A

AKLankford

Oct 13, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I live in Wasilla and have my whole life. Anyone can find a job in Alaska if their truely motivated, theirs no shortage at all. Wasilla is an hour north of Anchorage and is a good place to live. Lots of schooling options (Colony, Wasilla, Palmer) and as far as riding goes its pretty well located. Hour north is petersville, 1.5 hours south is Turnagin, and 15 min. out of town is Hatchers Pass and Buffalo Mine.

A
Oct 26, 2011
Alaska
I live in Palmer and good techs are always in need. Are you gm certified?
I think better located for all around state activity. I personally enjoy summers off the denali hwy. However the wind in the winter here sucks.

Premium Features