• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Homebuilt 2015 YZ450f Turbo Kit for Timbersled for under 1500 bucks!!

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
I tired getting ahold of kms to purchase head studs and possibly his map but he never got back to me :juggle: check the link i provided in my other post for another option
:face-icon-small-coo

I emailed them a longggggggg time ago to try to get some installation instructions to see what they did for oil but they never got back to me. I called this afternoon and they said that they are very busy trying to fulfill thanksgiving orders and that they could call me back tonight. We will see if they actually do it.......:juggle:

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
I'd have to look again as this was a few years ago but I believe I just used one of the 4 outputs connected to a single injector. they are correct they dont make one plug and play for your application, but nothing you are doing is plug and play. you essentially need metered fuel delivery. this is a box that can control the pulse width of an injector based off of MAP map input.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
I'd have to look again as this was a few years ago but I believe I just used one of the 4 outputs connected to a single injector. they are correct they dont make one plug and play for your application, but nothing you are doing is plug and play. you essentially need metered fuel delivery. this is a box that can control the pulse width of an injector based off of MAP map input.

Could you look again? That would save me a ton of headache.

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
UPDATE

Well I thank all of you that have posted responses. I thought I had done all of my research but there really isn't much info available for the kits that are out there and it seems that not a lot of people are tackling this themselves.

I went back to the drawing board last night and came up with the following:

I bought a Dynojet Secondary Fuel Module which I will use to control my second yamaha injector that I bought. I bought a stainless 90 that I will weld a mount for the injector into so that the injector is firing right down the intake, or as close as I can. I also ordered a 2 Bar MAP sensor and a 12V to 5V voltage regulator so that I can input the boost signal into the PCV. I did some research on Dynojets website and their youtube channel and found out that the Autotune unit will tune RPM vs Throttle percentage AS WELL as Boost vs RPM for A/F ratio desired.

I will be able to have two separate maps, one for each injector. My plan is to start tuning for the first injector only, then once I see the point where my A/F is getting lean because the injector isn't able to apply enough fuel, I will know where I need to start cutting in the second injector.

I also bought the Dynojet POD-300 gauge display. It is a pretty slick setup that allows datalogging, the software is really good at displaying data that is logged, it has a great screen, multiple gauge displays, warning lights, and you can modify your map right on the bike.

What do you guys think? Am I headed down the right path now? This last bit of purchases puts me at 1900 bucks. I had budgeted 1800 for the build and if I hadn't bought the POD then I would still be under it.

Last edited:
S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
I emailed them a longggggggg time ago to try to get some installation instructions to see what they did for oil but they never got back to me. I called this afternoon and they said that they are very busy trying to fulfill thanksgiving orders and that they could call me back tonight. We will see if they actually do it.......:juggle:

Surprise surprise........I didn't get a call from them.....:face-icon-small-dis

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Nice too see more home build snowbike projects!

Maybe you've seen my turbo thread here on SW. https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325741

Single cylinder engines are tricky to turbocharge. From what I've learned, the plenum design is important to minimize lag and increase power. Just look at KMS sucess compared to Boondockers...

Put some time in the design of the plenum.
A large plenum will in some degree equalize the charge during the intake stroke. My plenum is about 4-5 liters. Works great and close to no lag.
Maybe not alot of room for a big plenum on the yamaha but it could be done in some way.
a17.jpg

Compression ratios and type of fuel is also something to concider when you look for a reliable setup.
There is a risk of detonation when running standard compresion and premium pump gas, even at moderate boost levels.
Better fuel is the first you should choose. Race fuel may be expensive but these bikes burn small amounts that the cost is manageble.
If you look for 0,7 bar boost or more I would suggest changing to a low comp piston.

Good luck with your project. Will be fun to see more turbo snowbike projects here :face-icon-small-win

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
From a tuning point of view I would suggest running open wastegate and tuning factory injector table that way. then tune secondary injector table only for boost. do not have factory injector contribute to boost fueling. it will be easier to manage that way. start at 3 psi or a low value and tune 2ndary table, then increase boost and repeat. this is how I did mine and it worked well.

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
Nice too see more home build snowbike projects!

Maybe you've seen my turbo thread here on SW. https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325741

Single cylinder engines are tricky to turbocharge. From what I've learned, the plenum design is important to minimize lag and increase power. Just look at KMS sucess compared to Boondockers...

Put some time in the design of the plenum.
A large plenum will in some degree equalize the charge during the intake stroke. My plenum is about 4-5 liters. Works great and close to no lag.
Maybe not alot of room for a big plenum on the yamaha but it could be done in some way.
a17.jpg

Compression ratios and type of fuel is also something to concider when you look for a reliable setup.
There is a risk of detonation when running standard compresion and premium pump gas, even at moderate boost levels.
Better fuel is the first you should choose. Race fuel may be expensive but these bikes burn small amounts that the cost is manageble.
If you look for 0,7 bar boost or more I would suggest changing to a low comp piston.

Good luck with your project. Will be fun to see more turbo snowbike projects here :face-icon-small-win

I will have to check your build out!! Thanks for the response, I may consider building a plenum this weekend. You are not the first to recommend it. Can you explain a little more why the plenum is so important? Does it just stabilize the boost or does it build up a "tank" of pressure?

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
From a tuning point of view I would suggest running open wastegate and tuning factory injector table that way. then tune secondary injector table only for boost. do not have factory injector contribute to boost fueling. it will be easier to manage that way. start at 3 psi or a low value and tune 2ndary table, then increase boost and repeat. this is how I did mine and it worked well.

What I was planning was almost there.....but your idea is much better!! I agree that would be MUCH easier to control.

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
I will have to check your build out!! Thanks for the response, I may consider building a plenum this weekend. You are not the first to recommend it. Can you explain a little more why the plenum is so important? Does it just stabilize the boost or does it build up a "tank" of pressure?
Multi cylinder engines have the advantage of distributing the intake pulses, which equalizes the build-up of overpressure that the turbocharger adds to the plenum.
With only one cylinder, a relatively large amount of air will be fed during intake stroke every other revolution (4T cycle)
A small plenum can deliver an overpressure that may look good at the boost gauge, but in reality, there are small, and not noticeable, low pressure pulses in the intake that reduce efficiency and thus less power gains.
A large plenum provides a larger volume of air to work with and ensures that it can deliver sufficient boost throughout the whole intake stroke.
In addition, a larger plenum can counteract some turbo lag by having more volume to work with for pressure buildup.

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
update

Just some general info for anyone in the future,

Did some testing on the stock yamaha map sensor. its good for 4-5psi of boost according to the readings I got. It also shares the same plug as a Denso Map sensor I pulled off a 2002 honda civic (good for 8.8 Psi of boost).

Ran up to 6Psi of boost and the highest injector duty cycle I had was 78% at 10.7AFR. Bike just has a rough tune still needs lots of work on 95 octane, picking up some 100LL today.

image1-7.jpg image2-4.jpg

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
Well guys, I got a lot done over the holiday! Thanks to everyone's feedback I was able to head in the right direction and get my electronics and fueling situation figured out. I made a secondary fuel injector mount in an elbow that is right above the throttle body and will squirt fuel right down the throat of the beast. I also made a 2 liter intake plenum and put it in line just after the turbo. I was able to get all my ducting in place as well as the turbo mount welded to the timbersled. My first crack at an exhaust is welded up but I have not heard it run since I haven't finished the oil drain hose routing yet. If it is too loud I will have to play with making a longer exhaust with a muffler. I also fabbed up a new wastegate mount since I had to relocate it and my turbo doesn't have a moveable wastegate mount.

Next I need to install the secondary injector and start to tackle all of the electronics and fuel plumbing for the secondary injector. I also need to trim the left fairing so that my boost pipe will fit better. Right now it is really tight and the quarter turns on the "airbox" cover won't engage on the left side.

Pictures to come.

22183.jpg 22185.jpg 22186.jpg 20171124_162052.jpg 20171124_162103.jpg 20171126_002419.jpg 20171126_190326.jpg 20171126_190337.jpg 20171126_190355.jpg

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
I actually got someone on the phone from KMS Performance yesterday! I told him that I would like to make 100hp out of my 15 yz450 with a GT2252 turbo and was wondering what kind of supporting mods I would need to do to the engine. He said that I would need head studs...and a clutch upgrade....but that the internals of that engine are actually pretty stout and should be able to support up to 125hp!! Looks like I will be running about 10psi of boost. This is excellent news for me because it means that my build is nearly complete. I was operating under the impression that I might have to remove all of the stuff that I have installed so far so that I could remove the engine to replace the rod and piston but now all I have to do is pull the valve cover to replace the bolts with head studs!

I plumbed my oil drain and primed the turbo with oil before I let it spin. I just took off the intake tube and put a stick in there to stop the wheel from spinning until I saw oil coming out of the drain. Looks like a muffler is definitely in my future.......it is faaaaaaar too loud at the moment.

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
I actually got someone on the phone from KMS Performance yesterday! I told him that I would like to make 100hp out of my 15 yz450 with a GT2252 turbo and was wondering what kind of supporting mods I would need to do to the engine. He said that I would need head studs...and a clutch upgrade....but that the internals of that engine are actually pretty stout and should be able to support up to 125hp!! Looks like I will be running about 10psi of boost. This is excellent news for me because it means that my build is nearly complete. I was operating under the impression that I might have to remove all of the stuff that I have installed so far so that I could remove the engine to replace the rod and piston but now all I have to do is pull the valve cover to replace the bolts with head studs!

I plumbed my oil drain and primed the turbo with oil before I let it spin. I just took off the intake tube and put a stick in there to stop the wheel from spinning until I saw oil coming out of the drain. Looks like a muffler is definitely in my future.......it is faaaaaaar too loud at the moment.

Nice to hear!!! i got my short muffler from ali express for next to noting ! check them out they have all kinds of screaming deals! i like your airbox! how is it going seeing up the additional dynojet fuel module ?

Premium Features