• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manufactured heat exchanger kit (Full radiator delete) for sale

X
Mar 10, 2022
WA cascades
I made this heat exchanger from customized AL extrusion - 1/2" thick x 3.75" wide x ≈33" long - pics below. (Sorry for the bad pics, just grabbed them late evening, and forgot to get pic of filler bottle which replaces radiator.)
• Testing was done on a KTM 520 big bore with a ARO 3" in spring conditions down a long icy groomed trail. Got up to 207°F @ WOT for several miles without hitting the ditch for powder.
• In the powder- as long as engine is fully covered- I was getting ≈175° average
• Hill climbs got average ≈195°F

Kit is made to be universal for all bike models and will include:
• Ready to bolt on Heat exchanger
• Radiator bottle with expansion tank - goes in place of Left or Right radiator (wherever original radiator with pressurized filler cap was). Requires some kind of radiator guards or braces to be in place to allow for bottle to be mounted to.

Additional details:
• 1/2" thickness allows use with 3" lugs and no issues of lugs hitting heat exchanger with it mounted all the way forward.
• Production model will have the in/out ports slightly different (all aluminum- no threaded brass components) and will be moved to the sides as far as possible so it will not interfere with any gas tanks, etc whatever you have mounted to your tunnel.
• Will mount to any model /year ARO or RIOT. (Have not yet got my hands on any yeti tracks to check fitment)
• plumbing and hookup will use standard 5/8 heater hose
• mounting to tunnel will be with rivets or small bolts through the flange (mine was hastily welded to the tunnel at midnight as I needed to get it out for testing in the morning. Dont mind the 2 bolts you see in the pic)

Purchasing and price:
These are not yet available for sale. This is a testing the waters to see how many of you are interested in such a kit, and open to your ideas/ suggestions before starting this project.
Price is estimated to be around ≈220$

Heres the sorry pics. Open to all comments and feedback.

20220309_164133.jpg

20220309_164151.jpg

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
I recommend protecting the hoses everywhere they touch something. Vibration has started to wear mine in places I thought would not be an issue. Even being tightly zip tied to the round mountain horse frame tube. I used a larger diameter hose to protect them like I think I see in your pic.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm on my fourth season with no radiators on any of my bikes. It's the only way to go. The only real downside is trying to make your bike look good without the radiator shrouds. But nobody can catch me to see how ugly my bike is anyway so it's not a problem.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
I'd buy one or two at that price but it'd need to fit on a yeti tunnel with consideration for the carbon fiber tunnel (not sure what that means really).

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
where are you located? Im in Coeur dAlene, CMX is in Bozeman. Depending on where your at I might be able to get a kit to you for fitting

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Glad someone is finally trying to make a tunnel cooler available for people who don’t want to build their own. I think there should be a market here but you will have to simplify the installation as much as possible for the masses. Good luck. Coolers and fully enclosed engines are the way to go!

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
Ready to order one from you.
Does the coolant bottle replace a radiator? Can you keep radiators instead of coolant bottle?
Does the system work with heated bars and C3 thermostat.?
What is the typical amount of coolant hose needed to finish the install?

A
Nov 14, 2017
Ready to order one from you.
Does the coolant bottle replace a radiator? Can you keep radiators instead of coolant bottle?
Does the system work with heated bars and C3 thermostat.?
What is the typical amount of coolant hose needed to finish the install?
I am not the manufacturer, I am just a guy who bought one from him recently. I just thought I would let you know that there is a lot of info on the install on his website here:

-It says you can use a radiator as a coolant bottle, but seems to me that would kind of defeat the purpose of the exchanger?
-In his drawings it shows you can use heated bars, and he recommends a thermostat like the C3. It will be up to you to sort out the hoses/fittings to make it all work.
-Coolant hose should be easy to figure out yourself once you read the instructions. Just measure the path from the outlets on the skid to your motor (this will not be a straight line)

Premium Features