• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting Your Buddies to Wear Their Gear

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How does everyone get their buddies to wear ALL of their avy gear? I have some friends that bought tunnel bags last year, and have now discovered that they really like the feeling of riding without a backpack. They still wear their beacons, but their shovels and probes are now strapped to the back of the sled.

I know this is not the safest place for them to be and I am going to try to get them to throw on a light pack again this season with at least the avy gear in it. Refusing to ride with them unless they do is probably the best option and will get most of them on board, but I know one of them is pretty hard headed and is going to resist. He's also the one in the group that has the "I don't plan on getting in an avalanche" attitude and won't strap his helmet on either :face-icon-small-con.

So, what are some other options to give them more incentive to wear it? Show them avalanche videos, volunteer to buy the beer after the ride if they do wear it, pull the keys on their sled and not let them leave the parking lot without it? I know that if I can get them to go to an avalanche class that will help. I thought we were avoiding a lot of the dangers until I took a class and realized that even the short, steep sided creek bottoms we get into can be pretty hazardous at times. What else?

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
Ask them if they'd be comfortable telling your wife and children that you died and that they had the opportunity to save you but chose not to.... That should be more chilling then taking the keys away, no riding, or beer buying. I face the same thing with a few in my group and some will be hard headed no matter what, and unfortunately it's not only their life they are toying with.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
haha

On a few of our rides into the dark abyss, if u don't have your chit together, you just don't get to go.....

I'm counting on those other dudes, and they're counting on me.... Its an unspoken rule and trust, u just do it, there is no question!

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I can understand your problem. I've switched to a vest because I like that feel much better than a backpack swinging around. The folks I ride with all know the drill. They are patrollers, forecasters and folks that have enough experience in the backcountry to know the dangers and understand the possible outcomes. personally, I'd rather have a rider that has their head on straight than a reckless one with all the gear in the world. that's not to say that people shouldn't have gear on their person but that they shouldn't rely on it. Prevention is paramount but shouldn't be your only plan. **** happens.

The first reply you got was a good one.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
justjohnthomas had a great response.

Wear your gear, know how to use it or don't ride with me. Harsh but simple.

Most guys I see that complain about backpacks don't have them fitted right. Packs should be put on loose and then the shoulder straps need to tightened until there is no movement while bouncing up and down... I don't even know mine is on. Another thing I found is my tek vest helps spread out the load.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I had a heated discussion in the backcountry with a friend many years back. It was over wearing a beacon. He refused to wear a beacon and he said they were stupid. I said fine, I don't really care if you want to die because no one can find you cuz your not wearing a beacon.
I told him I would like to have a chance to survive an avy and i wanted him to wear a beacon so he could find me. That didn't get through his thick skull either. Eventually, he wore a beacon and avy pack.
Of course, he thought he didn't need an avy course either.
Coincidentally, years later, he died in an avalanche partly due to the fact that a search was not properly conducted. Very few at the scene had taken a avy course. Another non avy course beacon wearer left his beacon on transmit while the group was digging in the spot where they thought he was buried. After digging a while, they checked their beacon and it led them straight to the guy standing on the edge of the hole they were digging. It is unknown if the time they wasted digging in the wrong spot could have saved his life.
I don't feel too comfortable writing about this situation but if my post can prevent one potential accidental death from happening, I can take the heat from those involved.
So my answer to the question is to find new riding partners. Its gonna suck and the know it alls in the group may banish you from the crew. It's your life that you are risking as you can rescue your friends because you wear your gear and know how to use it. Unfortunately, when their sleds get tumbling down the hill, so do the tools they need to rescue you and then you die.
It's almost impossible to explain this to stubborn people. They just don't grasp how your life depends on them.

Last edited:
B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
Got invited to ride out west by a group of guys from mn, Wi didn't go first year been invited this year , asked about Avy gear and training none of them wear it or been to a class.say they ride where avys don't happen. Think I have one of them talked into a Mike Duffy class I'am taking, needless to say I'am not riding with these guys till they get the gear and training! So who the hell do I ride with , I can't just show up at the parking area and hope someone invites me along.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Got invited to ride out west by a group of guys from mn, Wi didn't go first year been invited this year , asked about Avy gear and training none of them wear it or been to a class.say they ride where avys don't happen. Think I have one of them talked into a Mike Duffy class I'am taking, needless to say I'am not riding with these guys till they get the gear and training! So who the hell do I ride with , I can't just show up at the parking area and hope someone invites me along.
We are always looking for people to head out west with. Our group has dwindled over the years. Just myself and one other make the majority of the trips. We both have been to Mike Duffys Avy training, have all the Avy gear and wear it all the time. Everything goes in the Avy pack.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010

Big part of what this place should be about, is riding partners.

Post in the places to ride section, a when and where you'll be, and say you're looking for people to ride with.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How does everyone get their buddies to wear ALL of their avy gear?

So, what are some other options to give them more incentive to wear it?

SLIDE1_1.jpg

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225937

Will you take THE AVALANCHE CHALLENGE?? <hr style="color:#e8e8e8; background-color:#e8e8e8" size="1"> The Avy Challenge started very simply, while watching some helmet cam video footage of a snowmobile burial and rescue. The camera rolled for a couple of minutes while the sledder was buried and his friends were looking for him. You could actually hear the search happening along with the heavy breathing, and a little struggling, of the victim. I have seen a number of similar videos, but for some reason this one freaked me out. I put myself in this persons shoes and it wasn’t a pleasant experience. Fortunately, everyone involved were prepared and knew what to do, leading to a good outcome. After watching that video I swore that I would never ride in the backcountry without being prepared AND ensuring that those I am with are prepared as well.

I thought I would let the world know about my own commitment and extend the opportunity to others as well. It is a simple thing, but perhaps it will save a life or two (maybe even your own). If you and/or your fellow riders aren’t 100% avy prepared, give it some thought and take the challenge. If you already practice good backcountry habits, sign your name and let everyone else know what you stand for.

My hope is that this simple effort grows over time and turns into an avalanche preparedness movement, one that leads by example and maybe even exerts a little peer pressure. I sincerely hope it goes beyond this page and my efforts. Spread the word in the forums, on Facebook, in your clubs, etc.

If you have any thoughts please feel free to contact me via the “contact us” link at the top of the page. I have also enabled comments on this page.

Ben Hansen

=============

http://www.avychallenge.com/

We are starting a new program (a movement hopefully) called the Avy Challenge. We will be partnering with a variety of organizations to help make this a reality. Please spread the word.

The first part is really simple:
Commit to always wearing a beacon and carrying proper gear whenever riding in the backcountry

The second part will take a little more commitment:
Commit to never riding with others in the backcountry unless your riding partner(s) are carrying beacons and gear as well.

Along with this there is a commitment to training, education and good decision making.
Proper gear is not effective unless you know how to use it AND use your head

A simple concept really, but very powerful. You are protecting yourself and encouraging others to be safe as well. Will you bow out of a ride or two, maybe. Will you have to tell someone they need to be better prepared, possibly. However, this is a small price to pay for being avy aware and ready.

Let the world know you are committed to avalanche safety and sign below (email addresses are for confirmation only and will not be displayed).

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Wear your gear! I've probed for an avy victim that wasn't wearing a beacon. I didn't even know him but what a horrible feeling we all had, knowing that the guy was going to die and there was nothing we could do about it. The slide was too big to effectively do a grid search in time to save him. S&R dog found him the next day. I recently found out that it was a friend of a friend of mine that we ride with now.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
I can't just show up at the parking area and hope someone invites me along.

It's a choice
If you are in the lot and have your gear ( all of It ) you're in ! Yeah you'll be scrutinized and asked if you can use it.
A lot of the major areas is where you'll meet like minded sledders and like this forum, no one goes it alone.
Post in your state thread your looking to ride..
Post in the state where ya wanna ride...bet you find people.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
You meet the people you want to ride with in avalanche classes. These classes are free. Take your friends to it.

http://www.ski-doo.com/community/events

Other scheduled classes are listed at www.avalanche1.com on the schedule page.

If the people you ride with aren't smart enough to be properly trained and equipped, find new riding partners.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If they don't care enough about you and giving you the best possible chance at surviving an avalanche vs. their personal comfort then they aren't really your buddies. A buddy is the guy who will do anything for you no questions asked. 25 years as a professional firefighter hammered that lesson home for me.

M5

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If you & your buddies will stay off avalanche slopes on days you know the risks are high or slopes you know have a history of sliding you friends will live.

Avalanche 101: how live to ride another day.

1. Minimizing your exposure to ALL slopes that slide
2. Lots of great riding out there without putting you and your buddies at risk.
3. Check the Avalanche forecast the day you ride (no excuse for not knowing)

DPG

Premium Features