• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

getting mountain sleds for new family!!!

K
Feb 28, 2011
Hey guys (and girls). Im going to be getting some mountain sleds for the wife and I (and eventually my soon to be son that's due in June!) and I think Ive got our choices pretty much narrowed down, but I thought Id post on here and see what the more educated opinions are.

First of all, price wise we'll be looking to spend anywhere from $4500 to $9000 for 2 used sleds, totaly depending on what I need to spend in order to get what we need. As far as manufacturers, Ive got in narrowed down to Yamaha and Doo- Now before all the CAt and polaris die hards try to lynch me, let me explain why Ive got to that decision after my research thus far:

First and foremost, reliability is king for me. Ive got a cabin in the mountains in the Okanagan in BC and I live at the coast, so a breakdown for me would not only be a major tow out, but it's something I want to minimize the risk of as much as possible. Second is ability to have some fun in the powder and to be able to hang out in the hills to some degree.

Now as far as my background goes, I have never personally owned a sled, but the majority of my life has been spent on open class dirt bikes- for those who don't know, examples are KTM 525 and CR 500 / KX 500. That's basically HEAPS of power taht's utilized primarilly in open areas like sand dunes, hill climbs, and BIG freeriding. Essentially thats what Id like to do perosnally when it comes to the sled- little to no trail riding save for access to areas, not too much in the trees, and alot of freeriding in open areas.

SO, from what I have read / learned thus far, the general consensus is that Yamaha leads the industry in reliability with ski doo in second. If money was no object I would be buying a couple of nytros and turbo-ing one for myself- currently a nice non turbo nytro used sells for around $8000 here in BC so thats out of the question.

I have read alot of praise for the summit 670 in terms of reliability AND performance, and therefore would be very interested to hear opinions and testimonials of that machine- plus you can get a pair around here for under $6000 easy which is definately affordable.

I guess based on my research I have it narrowed down to a summit 670 - 1000 (basically ehatever I can find for good $) and any of the yamaha 4 stroke mountain machines- I have read nothing but bad stuff about the yamaha 2 stroke moiuntain sleds, so contrary information would be much apreciated!

SO thanks for listening to my rant and for putitng up with a newbie- I can only hope that others find my info and this thread useful and I greatly thank all those who respond for their time!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
the 2 stroke yammi's were pretty amazing sleds, EXTREMELY durable & their motors just keep running. The mountain max 700 is still a legend in power/ longevity combined. Also to put skidoo in the #2 slot would be hugely erroneous in regards to the newer sleds (in the range you're looking at, they used to be great & the newer xp's are on the way to being MUCH better again, but they had some serious problems for a number of years (as ALL mfg's have in certain era's)

If it were me I'd take a step forward in generation of sled though, the newer machines are MUCH different from a mountain ability standpoint.

I'd look for an IQ chassis 700 or an M7, you should have no problem staying under your top dollar & you'll get a MUCH better sled. I think the IQ will feel the most like a bike to you, and will feel natural quickly. Both a very good handling sleds which will allow a beginner to progress in how you ride quickly, and both have very reliable motors. A doo in your price range imo will put you in a less reliable sled (the 670 & that era seemed more reliable, but that sled is VERY dated), and a yamaha in your range will very significantly hold back your ability level (RX-1 & Apex, maybe a phazer? none will help you learn very well).

Last edited:
J

jbsleds

Feb 15, 2009
Idaho
Put this on the top of your list

Avalanche training for you, your wife, and anyone else you ride with if you or they don't already have it.

It sounds like you're taking a thoughtful approach to picking the right sled. Good! I'm hoping you will do the same thing with your safety.

I'm also fairly new to backcountry riding. There's a lot to know about riding in avalanche terrain.

And congrats on your upcoming parenthood!

Have fun and ride safely!

Last edited:
I have had the RX-1 and now own Nytros. I agree with your logic. Be sure to get reverse. Another suggestion though is that the Nytro is a poor choice for a women or younger children. I suggest the Nytro for you and a Phazer for the wife. It is a fun sled to ride and much easier to handle. I wish I had bought one of each instead of 2 Nytros.

I have just had the opportunity to ride the Skidoo 550 Fan expedition. This is a nice light weight machine with many nice features. I think it or the Summit Tundra would be a great choice for smaller riders.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If it were me I'd take a step forward in generation of sled though, the newer machines are MUCH different from a mountain ability standpoint.

I'd look for an IQ chassis 700 or an M7, you should have no problem staying under your top dollar & you'll get a MUCH better sled. I think the IQ will feel the most like a bike to you, and will feel natural quickly. Both a very good handling sleds which will allow a beginner to progress in how you ride quickly, and both have very reliable motors. A doo in your price range imo will put you in a less reliable sled (the 670 & that era seemed more reliable, but that sled is VERY dated), and a yamaha in your range will very significantly hold back your ability level (RX-1 & Apex, maybe a phazer? none will help you learn very well).
I would agree with this. A 600 Rev or XP would also be a good blend of ability and reliability. The 670's and older non-ves 700 RMK's were stone reliable BUT those sleds are 10-12 years old + these days.

Premium Features