• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First real ride on my carls cycle 660 build review

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
Well last winter I sent my the motor from my 2012 pro rmk 600 down to carls cycle to get there 660 kit installed. I also had them port the cass as well so it got the full treatment. Turnaround time was pretty quick and it was a full turn key package, clutching, remapped ECU, etc. Just got back from 4 days riding in revelstoke in awesome snow conditions and let me tell you guys this sled gives up nothing on a 800 witch I owned two of. This is by far THE FUNNEST SLED I EVER RODE period. I got almost 200 miles on it now and it just keeps getting better. I raced a couple m8s across a lake with 2 feet of fresh and they didn't stand a chance, they were clutched with exhaust and worked really good but just couldn't hold a candle to the 660. They were super choked lol. Now keep in mind I weight 155lbs but all riders were similar in size. Now when we were doing some climbing they couldn't even come close. The motor revs like it has a on/off switch. I am running 62g belly busters at 6500' and still over revving a bit at 8350-8450. These were the same weights i ran in my 800s with mtnk fix kits and a par head. So for any of those who are thinking about a 660 don't think twice you will not be disappointed or giving up any performance from a 800. I was having some trouble getting the suspension set up good and the last day my front shock seals were leaking air from the evols to the main chambers so i gotta rebuild those, the sled felt kinda planted but sure thats why. If anyone has any timber sled rear skid ups please post them to get and idea what others are running. mine really seems to buck on the whooped out trails. Here is a list of my exact set up. Have a Merry Christmas everyone :face-icon-small-hap

2012 pro rmk 600 with case ported 660
balanced primary with 62g belly buster weight
carls helix
front shocks fox float evol Rs, 115lbs in evol 60lbs in main
z bros high clearance a-arms
timbersled rear skid 60lbs FTS/ RTS 110lbs main 160lbs evol
C3 belt drive
Camo extreme 2.5 with 3''pitch, track was 16'' cut to 15'' with 8 tooth extravert drivers
2013 running boards
rsi carbon fibre handlebars
wrp seat

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I'm curious what elevation did they cut the head for? If it's the high altitude setup 5,000 are above what are you running for fuel in the flatlands of Saskatchewan ? Any det?

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
I'm curious what elevation did they cut the head for? If it's the high altitude setup 5,000 are above what are you running for fuel in the flatlands of Saskatchewan ? Any det?

I told them I wanted to be able to run just pump gas and ride 5-7500' so i can't say for sure what the compression ratio is... I don't ride in Saskatchewan much but did one 30 mile ride last season with no issues on just premium. One of the areas we ride out west we unload at around 1400' and still no issues there. Very happy with that as I didn't wanna be bothered mixing race gas. On my 800 pro with the par 13-1 head I had nothing but trouble with detonation even with race gas blend. I was just awesome to be able to pull the rope and let it rip.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I told them I wanted to be able to run just pump gas and ride 5-7500' so i can't say for sure what the compression ratio is... I don't ride in Saskatchewan much but did one 30 mile ride last season with no issues on just premium. One of the areas we ride out west we unload at around 1400' and still no issues there. Very happy with that as I didn't wanna be bothered mixing race gas. On my 800 pro with the par 13-1 head I had nothing but trouble with detonation even with race gas blend. I was just awesome to be able to pull the rope and let it rip.

What were you running for weights on the flats?

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
What were you running for weights on the flats?

I just had some 64g belly buster but was over revving big time so i just watched to not over rev. It was only a 30 mile ride just to get out once for the year so it wasn't much of a ride. i might try the 64s next time we head out west, I am pretty sure it will pull them. :face-icon-small-hap

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
They work very well

I also have a Carl's 660 on my wife's 13 Pro, and it doesn't disappoint. Would hang a licking on my backup 13 M800 S/P ltd 162 until I added the jaws pipe and 925bb from Arctic Edge, but it is incredibly fun to ride. Can't help you with suspension, as hers has a Kmod front and rear, which rides amazing and handles great. There are a lot of naysayers who will say just buy an 800, but the giggle factor just isn't there. My clutching is as follows:
SLP blue / pink primary with TPI glide washers
MDS weights @ 64g
Team Tied with gold / blk spring and 71-55.36 helix / delrin washers
C3 belt drive geared at 2.21:1
Camoplast Extreme 155" x 2.5"
Pulls 8200 RPM at 6-8000' all day long.

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
I am pretty sure I am running the 2.16 ratio but was contemplating going to a lower ratio as well. I also got some 7 tooth avid drivers that I was thinking of giving a try but not sure if I would see any gains over the 8 tooth thats in there now. Another thing I was wanting to try was the TRS track mod but am still on the fence about that one cause once its done you can't go back to the way it was lol.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Yes... I think you would pick up some much needed clearance You added lug height... and, with the 3"-pitch 8-tooth drivers... also decreased clearance.

And to make all that even better... Line the front of the tunnel (roof and the closeoff) in one sheet of 1/32" x 15" wide teflon, riveted in place... Keeps the ice and snow "plaque" from forming there.... which will minimize parasitic drag.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
What numbers on the Carl's helix were you running ? That's must be a strong motor I'm running 64g on my 600 at 2500 feet and the Carl's clutching.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I have a 2015 Pro with the Carl's 660 kit and I am really impressed so far. Have the TKI gear down kit, 2.33:1 ratio. Rode in 2 to 3 feet of powder both days this weekend and it was a blast. My partner who rides a turbo Viper was amazed at how strong it pulls. I don't think it gives up much if anything to the 800s. My son has a 12 Pro 800 with a fresh top end and I don't see any difference. Sled is a blast to ride. Takes very little rider input to make things happen. Hope winter keeps on coming like last week.
face-icon-small-happy.gif

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
This is by far THE FUNNEST SLED I EVER RODE period.

X2 I love riding the wife's 660. When her and I go out, we swap sleds a lot, she loves the can on the 800, I love tossing around the 660! Afraid if I put a can on the 660, then I won't be able to spend 5 minutes on the small block.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
You should see what a 660 on 10 lbs of boost will do. The 800 turbo riders never see you coming. They also can't believe it is a 660.

Premium Features