• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Family trip to Yellowstone and Island Park

S
Dec 9, 2009
Over New Years week, my family (wife, 2 daughters and I) stayed in W Yellowstone for a sledding vacation. We are big midwestern trail riders so we went there mainly to trail ride and not off trail. Since we had to rent sleds for the park we decided to leave the sleds and trailer at home in Illinois and just rent for the whole trip.
The first day we went through Yellowstone Park. We bucked up for a guide for just us and did the lower loop. It was cool to be in the park in the winter after seeing it in the summer in 2010. Passing the bison on the road was plenty exciting. We took in the Canyon area (nice waterfalls), Hayden Valley and Old Faithfull areas. Thanks to Todd our guide we saw all we wanted to (even if Old Faithfull went off as we approached so we weren't able to take pics of it going off).
Second day we headed towards Lionshead, that loop is really cool and make sure you head up the beaten path to get a better view. Then we headed to Island Park and got some lunch at the cafe at IP Lodge, good eats. For the afternoon we headed west to Big Springs then to the far east trail by the park back up to West Yellowstone. We were feeling under the weather and the trip out and day in the park had taken it's toll so we cut the 2nd day short.
Third day was real good, we were feeling better and headed down toward Two Top but stayed to the east and made the Black Canyon Loop. Got some gas at Macks then lunch out in the middle of nowhere at Meadow Creek Lodge I think. Then off to Two Top, the turn off from the trail was a cool spot as off to the SW was an awesome view of the Grand Tetons 50 miles away. Also the trees in this area were incredible with snow encrusted on them. We when up the beaten path towards Two Top.....WOW!!! We spent the rest of the day on the trail loops to the north by Lake Hebgen with a stop at the High Country for a soda. Got back just in time to turn the sleds in to end the trip.
Yellowstone Tour and Travel did a great job taking care of us. The staff at the Holiday Inn was great. Gotta love the breakfast buffets they throw in.
It was a great trip to check off the bucket list and I might come back with the guys for off trail riding some day (which might be soon if we don't get any snow in the midwest this year).

DSCN0218r.jpg IMG_4158cr.jpg IMG_4167rc.jpg IMG_4173rc.jpg IMG_4036r.jpg DSCN0223r.jpg DSCN0332r.jpg

Last edited:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Sounds like you had an awesome trip. Reminds me of back when I would ride up there all weekend with my dad in the same spots. Definitely feel like I take our areas for granted since we get to ride them all year long and not just once. We are definitely blessed to have what we have around here. Cool pics and nice write up!

Premium Features