• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon & RMK 08-10 wide running board kit

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The full Boondocker tunnel is a superior tunnel to almost anything out there. Great strength, excellent deep snow function and excellent cooling performance.

I think that a complete VE Boondocker Replacement tunnel is in the neighborhood of $1700 with standard cooler, add $100 for a double pass cooler, $150 per color for powder coating and $200 - $300 for shipping in the Western states. That comes to about $1900 to $2250 for a VE tunnel plus installation.

Now for those of you out there that don't know Super Dave3... he is a Polaris master-mechanic that can do stuff with his eyes closed where I would need to go back to school to learn... a real Polaris "Jedi Master".

For the mere mortal wrench slingers...Labor to install a complete tunnel.

Remove Seat, Console, fuel tank, steering hoop/stirrups, lower front body work, Secondary clutch, Chaincase/gears, jackshaft, drive shaft, track, Drain the coolant from the system, remove the coolant hoses from the tunnel, Then grind-off/drill-out all the rivets that hold the tunnel on, remove the tunnel stock tunnel. Then carefully align the new tunnel, Rivet it in place, cut the holes for the driveshaft, locate the suspension holes and drill them, fab new plumbing for the new running board edge coolers and reverse the process above to re-assemble the sled.

Most of this can be eliminated with the concept proposal that I'm talking about here.

Would getting most of the function and looks of a Boondocker tunnel, without the need to strip the sled to the bulkhead, make a difference on weather or not you would purchase a tunnel mod "kit" compared to a full tunnel replacement?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Super Dave3: but I would like the option of making my Dragon a 155 instead of a 163.

Shortening is a bit of a process compared to extending, but not impossible....

Dave... Remove the tail "close off plate/flap hanger" and bumper ...you can then cut off the back of your tunel the 4 - 5" needed to shorten it. Fab up a new aluminumcross tube between the two halves of the U-cooler, weld it in place and put it back together.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Shortening is a bit of a process compared to extending, but not impossible....

Dave... Remove the tail "close off plate/flap hanger" and bumper ...you can then cut off the back of your tunel the 4 - 5" needed to shorten it. Fab up a new aluminumcross tube between the two halves of the U-cooler, weld it in place and put it back together.

That would be to easy,LOL. I really like the looks of what your trying to do. Very interested.

I would defintely be interested in the BD kit. I like the design, and it would be alot easier to do the kit than tear off the whole tunnel. It will come down to cost of the kit vs. cost of the whole tunnel for me. I really don't mind the extra labor involved with the complete tunnel (its not the first).

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
yup really want one bad. after looking at this thread
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161383
and realizing what you are talking about mh, i understand what you mean by the work involved building it and it would be real hard to tell the difference between this kit and a whole BD tunnel.
but still i would like to see it cheap :) considering i will have some sort of sno-eliminators and a tunnel ext/bumper before the year starts anyways, i would love to see this concept go into production.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Something to chew on...

Frau... the tunnel sides pretty much means you be selling your snow elim and extension if this makes it off the ground..

Here is another twist on the BD tunnel for a different look... Sorry that is is so "crude" ... I only have Microsoft Paint to work with.

What do you guys think??

attachment.php

fresh small.jpg

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I like it! Too bad these tunnel sides weren't ready to go a month ago, I am replacing the tunnel/bulkhead on my 07 right now. Looks awesome Mountain horse!:beer;

Don't you ever sleep? LOL.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Frau... the tunnel sides pretty much means you be selling your snow elim and extension if this makes it off the ground..

Here is another twist on the BD tunnel for a different look... Sorry that is is so "crude" ... I only have Microsoft Paint to work with.

What do you guys think??

attachment.php

I like it. Get it done man!:beer;:face-icon-small-hap

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
For those that are saying that you would want one... please give some feedback to the 3 questions below.

1) Would not needing to remove the tunnel/tank/track/driveshaft/chaincase make a difference to you in purchasing this Side/RB/bumper add on?

2) Would you normally buy a complete tunnel... why or why not?

3) Are you, personally, wanting this to be an "extension kit" for your own install?

Answers
1) Yes that would make a difference because I'm a DIYer with average tools and shop.
2) No too much to spend on a $11,000 toy......not justifiable in my (wifes) book.
3) No extension for me 155 is fine unless I turbo and put a 162 powder claw on which is not probably gonna happen. too much $$$

There it is from me. I would buy this set if reasonable enough.

Beef:D

Last edited:
R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Nice design. I really like the looks. It incorporates the look of the boondocker tunnel with out having to replace a complete tunnel.

I absolutely hate removing rivets so have never done nor plan to do a tunnel replacement so if VE could make this a simple install I would consider it.
I hate rivets so much I think have Rivephobia.

Also good photo editing skills!

What do you guys think??

attachment.php

Premium Features