• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon & RMK 08-10 wide running board kit

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Okay MV & MH, I did not authorize those pictures to be publicly displayed! :face-icon-small-win:beer;

Looks good as all Mike's stuff does, lot's of blood, sweat & beers go into this stuff!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The stock steel parts are soft "mild steel" and DO bend easily.

The aluminim ones are not a hollow tube, they have a reinforcing rib in the extrusion.

Pretty darn strong.

coolers2.jpg

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
'm I seeing things or does the pic of the boondocker tunnel say timbersled! Dont they make their own tunnels?

You are seeing correctly and that is the second time that I know of. The first one was on an Apex and now a Dragon coming to snowshows near you;) How soon will we know of a back half boondocker add on like the one available for the M's?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Wittaker727

How soon will we know of a back half boondocker add on like the one available for the M's?

It is in development.... it will be a couple of weeks.

It will NOT be the "Back half" like the VE part available for the M's...

Also, it will cost considerably more than the $350 Cat "back half" as there would be running boards, partial tunnel sides with drop brackets and a rear bumper in the kit.

When/If it happens, it will be tunnel-sides/boards/edges with rear bumper as in the concept pics/description on the previous page.

Unlike the Cats...there is no "back half" of a RAW tunnel to cut off or remove... the stock cooler, which is also the top of the tunnel, is full length on the RAW and remains intact (no coolant running thru the RB edges)

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Lets get an idea of who might be interested

Post up on this thread if you would be interested in buying a "Boondocker Tunnel Mod Kit" for the STOCK tunnel.

Who would be intersted in buying this "kit" from the concept (below) that will not need to get into stripping the sled down to the bulkhead?

Would not needing to remove the tunnel/tank/track/driveshaft/chaincase make a difference to you in doing this kit?

The concept is to remove (un-bolt/rivet) the suspension, bumper running board edges, Drop brackets etc...
Leave the fuel tank, drive shaft and track in place, stock tunnel sides stay on. Then, cut off the stock running boards, and part of the back of the tunnel sides off.

Rivet on the new Boondocker tunnel sides with integrated drop brackets, Rivet the running boards in place, Bolt & Rivet on the running board edges, Bolt on the rear bumper/tunnel closeoff/flap mount .. Reinstall the skid and Viola!!! You have a VE-Boondocker/RAW hibrid.

All this without removing the drivetrain or tunnel sides.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
For those that are saying that you would want one... please give some feedback to the 3 questions below.

1) Would not needing to remove the tunnel/tank/track/driveshaft/chaincase make a difference to you in purchasing this Side/RB/bumper add on?

2) Would you normally buy a complete tunnel... why or why not?

3) Are you, personally, wanting this to be an "extension kit" for your own install?

Last edited:
F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
1) wouldnt really matter cuz its all tore apart anyways right now
2) no. I dont want to rip apart everything up front too and i like how its already factory installed, plus justifying the price and dealing with the coolers.
3) yes i would do it all myself

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
couple questions about the concept boondock sides,
1) why would you need to replace the boards and not just hack off the back of the boards and install the edge?
2) any way to have the option of having the sides come up for a gas rack like the boondock tunnels?
3) and why would it be considerably more than the $350 m-series? it seems like it would be way easier to build than that. (saying without the new edges and leaving the stock boards alone like the m-series kit)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Fraufarm... what you want is already available in the Wide board kit for $299

As for the tunnel side kit....

1) The boards are already like swiss cheese on a factory dragon and don't have good snow shedding. Plus the side panels that would get installed need the boards to be cut off for install of the sides.
2) Probably not, as the tunnel extrusion has a lip on it that the side plates/hangers will not sit flat against. Also.... the stock tunnel roof already has the T-track for easy gas can rack installs.
3) The M series has a sheet metal tunnel... the RAW RMK's have a 5 piece tunnel with the roof being an extrusion that goes full length of the tunnel... there is no "back half" to remove.... different than the M series. Have a closer look at a boondocker tunnel and the concept pics above to get a better Idea of what I'm talking about here.

couple questions about the concept boondock sides,
1) why would you need to replace the boards and not just hack off the back of the boards and install the edge?
2) any way to have the option of having the sides come up for a gas rack like the boondock tunnels?
3) and why would it be considerably more than the $350 m-series? it seems like it would be way easier to build than that. (saying without the new edges and leaving the stock boards alone like the m-series kit)

Last edited:

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
For those that are saying that you would want one... please give some feedback to the 3 questions below.

1) Would not needing to remove the tunnel/tank/track/driveshaft/chaincase make a difference to you in purchasing this Side/RB/bumper add on?

2) Would you normally buy a complete tunnel... why or why not?

3) Are you, personally, wanting this to be an "extension kit" for your own install?

1) No it wouldnt make a difference to me, a little more labor is no big deal.

2) In the past I would buy the complete tunnel because Polaris had crappy narrow running boards. Now they have decent running boards, but there is always room for improvement.

3) Not an extension, but I would like the option of making my Dragon a 155 instead of a 163.

IMO this concept of yours has potential. It will probably come down to price and what it will cost compared to a complete tunnel. As you know I have used many of Mikes tunnels in my builds. Again IMO, the Raw tunnel is very good in its own right and probably doesnt justify swapping out to a full tunnel job unless you have to replace the stock tunnel due to damage from a crash.

With that being said I would be very interested in this concept depending on what it will cost.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Post up on this thread if you would be interested in buying a "Boondocker Tunnel Mod Kit" for the STOCK tunnel.

Who would be intersted in buying this "kit" from the concept (below) that will not need to get into stripping the sled down to the bulkhead?

Would not needing to remove the tunnel/tank/track/driveshaft/chaincase make a difference to you in doing this kit?

I'll buy one!! or two!!!

Premium Features