• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DPF delete on Duramax

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Well it sure runs wayy better than it did before that is for darn sure. Pulls hard now! As for smoke it does blow some, but not excessive amounts like stated above.

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
Well it sure runs wayy better than it did before that is for darn sure. Pulls hard now! As for smoke it does blow some, but not excessive amounts like stated above.

So is it worth it? That is what i need to know. I use my truck every day to pull and a 1 to 2 mpg increase still probably would not be worth it. Or am i wrong.

What happens when you are far from home and your chip takes a crap on you. Does the truck go in limp mode or does it start shooting fuel all over your hot exhaust?

:faint:

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
So is it worth it? That is what i need to know. I use my truck every day to pull and a 1 to 2 mpg increase still probably would not be worth it. Or am i wrong.

What happens when you are far from home and your chip takes a crap on you. Does the truck go in limp mode or does it start shooting fuel all over your hot exhaust?

:faint:

I would say its worth it, and 1-2mpg would be the low end of your gains. But if you plan on keeping it for 5yrs, the whole system will pay for itself in fuel consumption. Towing it had way more power! Bout 1/3 throttle to pull a 10k enclosed trail up a 6% grade that is 12miles and never got hot once. The sound is not annoying towing either, MBRP stainless with a muffler full system is the way to go for sure. Quality product IMO.
Go for it. you should be very pleased with power and mileage gains.
Brad

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
And to answer that last question, it will go into limp mode im pretty sure. The likely hood of the programmer taking a dump is very low, but if parked for a while unattended you can pull your programmer itself off the dash (Black Maxx) and stow it away so no one can just steal it thinking its some cool navigation thing to sell on the street.

Hopefully this helps some

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
I took my 1st road trip without mine the other day, and averaged about 17mpg empty. That's doing between 75-85mph the whole way. Coming back I was just pulling 2 waverunners, and slowed down to 70-75, and got about the same. I was getting abou 15mpg before.

Was it worth it? If your doing it for the extra power, then yea. If all your concerned about is gas mileage, then I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't buy my truck to get good gas mileage, so it was definantly worth it for me.

Yes, it does blow out a little black smoke, when you get on it, but it's nothing compared to the older Dodges. :face-icon-small-win If your not hard on the gas, then you won't even notice it.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
Line8 you are right on saying that when you get rid of dpf it is neccesary to add a chip. But also if you do your research there are some chips out there that do not leave a footprint when you decide to take it back for warranty. We just chipped my buddies 09' dodge and it went from getting 15 mpg to 25mpg but also about 3 grand later it went from being a dog to a freaking crazy machine!!
In a LMM (2007.5-2009) truck there is no possible way to remove the DPF system without reflashing the ECM. There is currently no commercially available way to reflash the ECM without the computer remembering that reflash which can be retrieved with the dealers computer. The creators of EFI live know how to defeat the memory system in the ECM but for ethical reasons WILL NOT provide that capability.
Your best chances (not guaranteed) is to have a dealership who wants to help you maintain warranty AND put another ECM in the truck. You CANNOT add power without buying a TCM because the allison transmission records max HP & torque output.
EFI Live will reflash a ECM for you with the $100 license so you can buy a used one. Just read the current ECM, install the new ECM and program it to your VIN and options.
A dealer can only go so far to protect your warranty at a certain point GM calls the shots and requires diagnostic information that cannot be falsified. Anything involving motor/tranny failure is going escalade straight up the chain to GM instantly due to the popularity and ease of modding these trucks. Any dealership that sees something wrong with your truck can instantly flag your VIN in the computer system and void your warranty.

I thought very seriously about dropping the DPF off my truck and my dealership is 100% okay with it and would try all they could to help me keep my warranty but I chose not to due to the fact that I'm pulling a trailer 700 miles across country and if something happens out there, there's too much of a chance I'm screwed on warranty.

Also I was told the D-maxxs don't have a "tattle tail" to record programs, etc. I was told the only way they can tell is from the psi readings from the injectors....not sure how true that is...
You were told wrong. There is a "tattle tail" program on all DPF equipped duramaxes. Yours has one.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I bought my 06 Duramax simply because it doesn't have a DPF. I'm glad I did. Older truck with older interior but I feel like I don't have the training wheels on.

Anyone who says they improve fuel mileage by 10mpg is full of it. The DPF uses a pint or two of fuel and then ignites that fuel to burn out the soot. It's not like the truck dumps a gallon every 10 miles. But the DPF is an issue. Here at work we constantly have problems with DPF vehicles. I had a friend pulling a 5th wheel whose truck went into limp mode because of a DPF issue. Left him stranded in the Utah desert.

Edge claims that my programmer will return the truck to stock w/o any footprint. However, I'm not doing anything with a DPF and I just tune to up the HP. I've also realized that it's not worth driving my truck around with an extra 100hp. I leave it in economy mode most of the time as I don't want to burn down my tranny.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I bought my 06 Duramax simply because it doesn't have a DPF. I'm glad I did. Older truck with older interior but I feel like I don't have the training wheels on.

Anyone who says they improve fuel mileage by 10mpg is full of it. The DPF uses a pint or two of fuel and then ignites that fuel to burn out the soot. It's not like the truck dumps a gallon every 10 miles. But the DPF is an issue. Here at work we constantly have problems with DPF vehicles. I had a friend pulling a 5th wheel whose truck went into limp mode because of a DPF issue. Left him stranded in the Utah desert.

Edge claims that my programmer will return the truck to stock w/o any footprint. However, I'm not doing anything with a DPF and I just tune to up the HP. I've also realized that it's not worth driving my truck around with an extra 100hp. I leave it in economy mode most of the time as I don't want to burn down my tranny.

You can reasonably play with some light tuning on your truck and no problems :becky:
x2 on the BS 10mpg increase

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
if you have the 5spd it can handle about 90 hp over stock and the 6spd can handle 100 or 110 i think over stock.

the shifts between 4th and 5th, 5th to 4th are whats really hard on the allison, so just try to keep your foot out of it for a sec there. running it in tow/haul mode when your gonna be getting into the throttle also helps.

whatever you do dont let some idiot tell you to stack chips in your dmax, what a waste

ryder88

Lifetime Membership
Sep 12, 2010
Spanish Fork, Utah
I have 2008 LMM Duramax with a dpf delete pipe and an H&S Mini Maxx, I am getting avg. of 3-5 mpg better mileage and it runs great. I would highly recommend it if your looking for better mileage and you can't bitch about the power either.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have 2008 LMM Duramax with a dpf delete pipe and an H&S Mini Maxx, I am getting avg. of 3-5 mpg better mileage and it runs great. I would highly recommend it if your looking for better mileage and you can't bitch about the power either.

So what do you do if you have to take your truck in for warranty work?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Anyone that gets a flash tune should be able to do a flash reset, or at least a good tuner will be able to. I also call BS that you picked up 10 MPG from the DPF delete. If that were true manufactures (GM, Ford, etc) would be throwing out huge press released to fight DPF.

C

crestview

Dec 3, 2007
Kimberly Id
I just did a dpf and urea delete on my 2011 chevy. Used a h&s chip to fool the computer. Runs awesome and a true 3 miles to the gallon increase.

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
The fella up there with the 6.4 Ford is likely not BSing you, those trucks are famous(notorious?)for getting 8-10mpg stock and twice that with the emissions deleted. Also, The Cummins 6.7 uses extremely high EGR circulation rates and very retarded injection timing to control peak combustion temperatures and limit NOx. I know several people who have reported 6-10mpg gains on dodges. EGR creates lots of soot which packs up DPFs.

These new 2011 trucks from Ford and GM are using urea for NOx control. This is not a technology we should be afraid of for the sake of what little inconvenience another consumable fluid presents. It means that the stock programming/calibration can give us our injection timing back for a longer effective power stroke and better mileage, as well as turn down the EGR rates so now the DPF can go much longer between regens. The urea just deals with the NOx after the fact.

I had a 2006 Dodge Cummins with all the stuff that should save fuel, even the manual front hubs and my 2011 duramax gets better mileage stock in spite of dpf regens every 700 miles. I'm a believer.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I will be holding on to my 05 lly untill a new truck comes out that gets significantly better mpg then my lly. even then I figure the money I save on interest/payments by keeping my lly sure pays for alot of diesel.
I just can't see getting a new truck that gets the same performance/mpg as the truck I have now. Especially since they cost so much more. my base ls crew cab dmax cost me $33,000 back in 05. Earlier this year I checked and the good deal on a new 2011 exactly like my truck was $44,500. Plus alot more emisions crap I have to pay even more money to remove from the truck to get the mpg back.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
My last tank of gas, I saw the best mileage I've seen so far, and I got 17mpg empty. Pulling my Toyhauler this weekend, I still only got 11mpg. That was doing 70-80 mph most of the way though.

IF your dmax is 07 or newer(dpf equipped) you need a good tuner(as mentioned) to turn off the dpf, most tuners that do this are "race only". Edge products has actually quit making their racing tuners just because the fact they can disable the emissions crap, and edge was most likely gonna have big problems because of it.

Removing the dpf system will help your truck breathe alot better and maybe gain you a few mpg's. It is technically illegal to remove any emissions equipment from a vehicle so you better check your local laws on state inspections first. If you have an 01-06 Duramax there is no need to worry about emissions crap.

Just buying an extra ecm is not going to do the trick, if the truck has 50,000 miles on it then it should have XX amount of dpf regens. The dealer see's this when they hook it up to the v2 system in the shop, and thats only one of numerous ways they can tell its been tuned.

If your worried about warranty then talk to your dealer BEFORE you do anything or you can kiss that warranty good bye, some dealers are great tho. The place i go to actually installed my exhaust and tuner for me and didnt ruin my warranty, but that was a few years ago and probably before gm figured it all out.

If you guys want a good tuner for your chevy/gm (and now cummins) trucks you should check out EFI live. I had a PPE tuner before and thought it was the best thing ever....not even in the same ballpark as EFI.

Everyone with a diesel should do themselves a favor and get rid of "dirty tuning", rolling coal is cool but too many f*a*g*s blow smoke in town and make us look stupid. Well doing so is putting diesel performance in the spotlight in the wrong way 2008 chevy duramax dpf delete kit. The regulations are tightening up constantly and just like all those riding spots we used to have, its gonna get shut down if it keeps getting abused. Smoke out of a diesel is power you can see NOT USE. Unless you are running big mods(twins, tranny, dual fuelers, etc) pouring smoke is not necessary to make good power.

Just my .02 :ranger:
I just bought my first diesel 13LML and i want to do the delete the right way (I live in SC so I’m free to do this) most of the kits i see online from various websites (egrparts dpfdeleteshop eBay etc) all look like the same kit, exhaust, up pipe, down pipe, rebranded. I just want some quality parts haha thanks guys

Premium Features