• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DPF delete on Duramax

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
How many guys have done this on there diesel? I bought a MBRP off-road exhaust, and I'm having a hard time finding somebody to put it on. There saying it won't pass emissions, but I'm not too worried about that. I just want a little better gas mileage, and maybe a little more power. My question is what are the consequences if you get caught, & what kind of improvements will I see after I get it done. It's a 08 Duramax, and I've got the Edge racing chip already to erase the check engine codes.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I'm not in Utah, and I don't have a dmax. I'm in WA and have an F250. I have done it on mine and it opens the thing up. Power is insane and fuel mileage went up about 8-10mpg. Completely different truck! It's a fairly easy off and I have only heard it's easy back on.

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
My buddy has a 08 dmax and has dpf delete kit on it with a ppe chip. And this thing rocks and gets awesome mileage. I just did my 09 6.4 powerstroke with a h&s black max and that thing is like a totally different pickup. If you lived in Montana I would do your kit for you. Let me know what town you live in cause I got a guy in Logan that would do it for you.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
After many calls, I found a guy who would do it for me for $100. I had it done last night, and it feels allot better now. Hopefully the gas mileage will go up some too. I'm pulling my toy hauler tomorrow, so I'll see how much improvment I got out of it. I kept my stock one also, just incase.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
so do all or most states check or test vehicles regularly for emissions equipment? thats a bummer. Kinda funny how your having trouble getting someone to pull your dpf delete considering our dealership pulled our dpf for us, gave us a chip to turn off dpf and still gave us warranty!

Last edited:
T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
so do all or most states check or test vehicles regularly for emissions equipment? thats a bummer. Kinda funny how your having trouble getting someone to pull your dpf delete considering our dealership pulled our dpf for us, gave us a chip to turn off dpf and still gave us warranty!

Things are definately trending that way.
Thankfully, I still live in one of the few county's in Wisconsin that doesn't require emissions testing....yet.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
It will be a sad day if they bring that up here a very large part of the majority of truck owners use SPF delete. Nobody seems to have a problem unless your Rollin coal till nobody else can see. Noise isn,t a bid deal unless your being stupid. Cops can't really give noise tickets unless a complaint has been filed since turbos count as being a muffler.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
For the Dmax several companies are doing dpf delete. One thing you want to remember is any engine problems the dealer is required to send a programming snapshot to GM. If its not stock then the warranty is out the door. They also can tell how many times it has been programmed. If recently returned to stock, goodbye warranty.
If I was going to mod a dmax, I would buy an ecm from the dealer for cash, and get them to program it. Then never return to that dealer. If you have engine problems, put in the stock ecm and return exhaust to stock. Could save thousands of dollars.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
You can not just delete the DPF and call er good! A tuner is required that will re write your truck's computer programming-also. This will allow your truck to operate without the emissions and all things associated. Definitely research because it is not for everyone. You could be on the hook for some expenses, warranty stuff. Yes you can put it all back to stock and try. Dealerships have there ways to dig in and find info.

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
Line8 you are right on saying that when you get rid of dpf it is neccesary to add a chip. But also if you do your research there are some chips out there that do not leave a footprint when you decide to take it back for warranty. We just chipped my buddies 09' dodge and it went from getting 15 mpg to 25mpg but also about 3 grand later it went from being a dog to a freaking crazy machine!!

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Well after I pulled this DPF out, I pulled my 26' toyhauler with a full load, and wasn't really seeing too much improvment on mpg. I averaged around 10 for the trip. I was hoping to see 12-13. Still haven't ran a full tank through without a load, but I'm guessing it's not going to be much better.

On the side note though, the power is amazing now. There's nothing like having 450hp at the wheels.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Line8 you are right on saying that when you get rid of dpf it is neccesary to add a chip. But also if you do your research there are some chips out there that do not leave a footprint when you decide to take it back for warranty. We just chipped my buddies 09' dodge and it went from getting 15 mpg to 25mpg but also about 3 grand later it went from being a dog to a freaking crazy machine!!

Agreed!! I've got 6.4 F250 with H&S mini max and it is no joke.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
For the Dmax several companies are doing dpf delete. One thing you want to remember is any engine problems the dealer is required to send a programming snapshot to GM. If its not stock then the warranty is out the door. They also can tell how many times it has been programmed. If recently returned to stock, goodbye warranty.
If I was going to mod a dmax, I would buy an ecm from the dealer for cash, and get them to program it. Then never return to that dealer. If you have engine problems, put in the stock ecm and return exhaust to stock. Could save thousands of dollars.

Transmission ecm records the torque value going in as well so you would have to swap that to. Good luck getting the hour meters to match up, dealer is going to know something is up when your truck is a 08' with 10 hours on it. Best bet is to have a buddy that works at the dealership... just don't break down outside his area.

If you are worried about your warranty Guy's then don't mod your truck. The factories are wise to the programmers and they ALL leave a footprint of some sort. GM has service bulletins out on what to look for in the way of damage from a TUNED truck.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well after I pulled this DPF out, I pulled my 26' toyhauler with a full load, and wasn't really seeing too much improvment on mpg. I averaged around 10 for the trip. I was hoping to see 12-13. Still haven't ran a full tank through without a load, but I'm guessing it's not going to be much better.

On the side note though, the power is amazing now. There's nothing like having 450hp at the wheels.

If you got a power increase out of removing it only, yours was likely plugged. I highly doubt you've got 450hp to the tire unless you've got a tuner or tune in it.

A good custom tune will bring up that fuel economy as well.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
If you got a power increase out of removing it only, yours was likely plugged. I highly doubt you've got 450hp to the tire unless you've got a tuner or tune in it.

A good custom tune will bring up that fuel economy as well.

I didn't notice any power increase from the DPF delete, but I do have a CTS tuner from Edge. It's the 7 stage racing chip. They claim 180hp, but on the dyno, it's more like 150.

CaptNCoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edgewood, Wa
I've got an 08 D-maxx, running on 35's.
Stock, mileage was TERRIBLE......I am running 5" turbo back, air intake, the PPE "hot race 2" programmer w/ the Edge w/ attitude in line as well. Lots of tunability, way more power than stock tranny, injectors, etc. can handle. I keep it tuned around 150-175HP over stock, runs strong, pulls hard. 15-17 MPG in town, 20 ish at best on hwy, 12-15 towing. I just got 13.8 towing my 36ft 5th wheel around 13k lbs, over two mountain passes each way......stock I was around 6- 8 mpg....Also I was told the D-maxxs don't have a "tattle tail" to record programs, etc. I was told the only way they can tell is from the psi readings from the injectors....not sure how true that is...

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
IF your dmax is 07 or newer(dpf equipped) you need a good tuner(as mentioned) to turn off the dpf, most tuners that do this are "race only". Edge products has actually quit making their racing tuners just because the fact they can disable the emissions crap, and edge was most likely gonna have big problems because of it.

Removing the dpf system will help your truck breathe alot better and maybe gain you a few mpg's. It is technically illegal to remove any emissions equipment from a vehicle so you better check your local laws on state inspections first. If you have an 01-06 Duramax there is no need to worry about emissions crap.

Just buying an extra ecm is not going to do the trick, if the truck has 50,000 miles on it then it should have XX amount of dpf regens. The dealer see's this when they hook it up to the v2 system in the shop, and thats only one of numerous ways they can tell its been tuned.

If your worried about warranty then talk to your dealer BEFORE you do anything or you can kiss that warranty good bye, some dealers are great tho. The place i go to actually installed my exhaust and tuner for me and didnt ruin my warranty, but that was a few years ago and probably before gm figured it all out.

If you guys want a good tuner for your chevy/gm (and now cummins) trucks you should check out EFI live. I had a PPE tuner before and thought it was the best thing ever....not even in the same ballpark as EFI.

Everyone with a diesel should do themselves a favor and get rid of "dirty tuning", rolling coal is cool but too many f*a*g*s blow smoke in town and make us look stupid. Well doing so is putting diesel performance in the spotlight in the wrong way. The regulations are tightening up constantly and just like all those riding spots we used to have, its gonna get shut down if it keeps getting abused. Smoke out of a diesel is power you can see NOT USE. Unless you are running big mods(twins, tranny, dual fuelers, etc) pouring smoke is not necessary to make good power.

Just my .02 :ranger:

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
My friends dad has a 08 GMC dirtymax, he just purchased a 4in stainless turbo back w/ one muffler at the end so its not to loud, a AFE intake(Installed the other day), and a H&S Black Maxx. Which I am putting on for him this evening, everyone that has taken their dpf off have had nothing but good things to say that ive heard so far. But as far as just deleting it, you need a programmer to get your gains and have a place for your probes to run into so your truck doesnt go into "limp" mode.

Will let you guys know how she runs after we get everything on it.

Premium Features