• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you finance your sled or pay up front?

L

LuckydawgAK

Feb 13, 2011
Aurora, CO
Zero percent for anything and I would finance it. Financing at 2-4% and I would if I had to to keep going in this sport. Some do, it's ok. Those are great rates historically.

I do hate fractional reserve banking and being a slave to them. I tried to save up enough to pay cash for a house but couldn't do it (Anchorage is expensive). I do have a mortgage.

Having said all that, I have never financed a sled. I get killer deals on 1-2 year old machines.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I financed mine 2 years ago for 5% interest

was happy with that # at the time. I found the Sled I wanted and the rest was just the means to get what i wanted.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Boy oh boy it was great when dad used to pay for my sleds haha. When I Snowchecked last time I took the 0% for the year and then paid it off within the year.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've financed my last two sleds initially, but both times I knew I'd have them paid off in March.

I've pretty well got a rule now that I won't finance toys. This is basically because I have full intention on leaving stuff stock from now on. This alone should prevent me from having to finance another toy :)

900 RMK was a mess, bought M8, paid off a few months later ... TM8 wasn't working right, bought Pro ... paid off a few months later :)

Lesson learned here is don't mod sleds and you won't have to finance new ones :p

T

Trixter99

Jan 24, 2012
Way up over here
I was able to pay cash for my 13xm I have no issues with financing a toy, lord knows I have had to lots of the times before. It's a great personal feeling being able to do so. I will probably be riding this sled for quite awhile so I have started paying my account back and am almost halfway there. I looked at buying used but realized it wasn't for me I always have bought new and more than likely will continue to. I have to tell you that it was hard shelling out all that cash. I had to buy all new gear as well because I've been out of the game for a few years.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
0% is a leader. On vehicle loans you will NOT get 0% and deep discounts. One or the other. The manufacturers don't work for free. They make it on one end or the other.

Sam

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I finance. Not ashamed to admit it.

I have a great job. I make great money. But I have a mortgage, I have school, I have daycare, I have utilities, I have groceries. I want to have fun. Fun is expensive. And honestly, I don't know many people in my life that buy sleds in cash. Most just can't drop 10k-14k on any toy in cash. That's alot of money.

I know guys that say they pay in cash to make themselves look better in other's eye, like it makes them a better man or something but I know better. I have seen guys that brag about paying cash for a sled and then I see them filling out the credit app at the dealer. I have also see some young pups pay cash but they aren't paying for a house, food or have kids. They are staying in mommy and daddy's house since they are retired and they could really use the "help".

Phatty hit the nail on the head.

I'm still trying to figure out how a guy can say he drops cash on the table when he's making 55k/year, drives a late model truck and has a mortgage.

IMO, I think some stretch the truth a little.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Everyone's situation is different...

I did pay cash for both my wife's 13 ProRMK, and my 13 M1100T. I sold both of our previous sleds and got a decent price for them, and had been saving for the difference over the summer. That said, we keep our sleds for 5 years, so we're not trading every year - the depreciation is just too much, and I can't leave anything stock. I have a very good job, am still paying off my home & wife's truck (mine's paid for). Would likely be debt free if we weren't still helping the grown children and things such as that...
Anyway, if your situation doesn't allow you to pay for it up front, you need to look long and hard to see if you can afford it. I was without toys (any toys) when we were first married and were saving for our first home. Consider your priorities carefully, as falling into the "keeping up with the Joneses" can (and usually does) bite you on the azz at some point...

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I have done it both ways.. At this time I own 2 sleds. Both had loans and were paid off.. I decided to dump 4 grand into one of them and build a mod this yr instead of a new one.. I have always put half down in cash when buying.. Just my rule and keeps me from getting upside down on it. I also have never spent over 10 grand on a sled... Do I have a sled that I have stuck more than 10 into yes.. But seems less painful a grand or two at a time. And every time I get a new part it's almost as fun as a new sled.. Haha, If you can't afford to ride it every weekend what fun is it... That's how I look at it.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
yep.. old iron I love...sure I spent a lot over the years on mods and I am buying H/O jugs now for possibly RKTs 925..my sled was 481 lbs stock and currently right around 400 lbs and 170ish in hp..all timbersled etc etc..like scratley its exciting to get the parts.

Over the past few years I picked up on the swapmeet at my leisure spare D/D , ECU , CCU, PRIMARY,STATOR,STOCK M8 JUGS,HO JUGS,WIRING HARNESS..etc etc at very reasonable prices because I purchased before being forced to and its a piece of mind having the parts in my home rather then two weeks away and at full retail.

l used to buy new upgrading every year for myself and the kids less frequent and the wife approx. every two years...it was 21 sleds in one ten year period..wth was I thinking.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Just because they are filling out a credit app doesn't mean they can't pay cash. Quite frankly, when I can get 1 year no interest, it is pretty silly not to use it. So, next week when I am in K town picking up my new 14, you can bet I filled out an app.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I know that. But you aren't one of these guys that tell everyone that if you cannot drop 14k on a sled then you shouldn't do it.

Personally, I don't see where anyone can get off saying that. Crap has gotten expensive.

vehicles for one. 5 years ago a 30k car was a luxury, now it's a base model.
same goes with trucks.

My sled is an 09. I paid $7900 for it. Brand new, in the crate. Now, guys are trying to sell their used and beat to hell 2013 sleds for 8500. A new sled will destroy a 12000 dollar bank account.

Gas, well that's frickin obvious
Groceries, obvious also

Seems like when people start to find a way to save money something goes up. XCEL energy rates are being hiked up yet again this winter.

I can't afford to pay cash for a sled, nor will I. I will do the 0% thing like you do, like phatty mentioned. Will I ever by a used sled? Hell no. I don't want someones else's problem. But am I willing to put life on the sideline waiting for money to start piling up? No, I only have one life and I'm gonna live it up. No man, or woman for that matter would be happy sitting around doing nothing.

These threads pop up every year and it always seems to have the same tools saying the same thing and the tone is that if you don't drop a cash roll on the dealer table you pretty much aren't worth the ground you walked in on. I find it judgmental and pretentious.

Maybe something happened to Joe Blow in the course of time between him snow checking and picking the sled up. Maybe his house flooded and his homeowners doesn't cover flood damage. Maybe his fuel injector drilled a hole into his piston causing the motor to fail and he had to pay cash for the repairs. Sh*t happens and people don't like to talk about it.

Yeah, I could understand it a decade ago when salaries were still pretty much where they are now but prices were 1000s lower. Inflation is a horrible thing. I seriously doubt I will ever be able to pay cash for something like that. It's expensive to live where I live believe it or not. Fuel is thru the roof, as is food. Housing is way more expensive than the city. But it's a sacrifice I make so I don't have to sit in traffic for 2 hours every night just to drive 10 miles to my house. But I have a sick wife to pay for. I will have to pay for tuition for 2 boys to go to college. I'm pursuing getting another degree. Gotta pay for that.

So if you have to get a loan to buy a sled, bike, truck, camper or an RV, so what??? You aren't a loser, you aren't a lazy worthless slouch. Buying a sled on credit isn't a bad thing. But putting mods on credit is silly. I did that once when I was younger and that was stupid. Buy the sled on credit and pay cash for your mods. You aren't gonna EVER get your money back, but thats just part of what we accept, loving this sport as we do.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
A thread like this pops up every year or so...

And I make SURE to click on it & read because I love reading the posts by the holier than thou "cash only" douchetards... it's just fun.:face-icon-small-sho

I don't end up financing the whole price of the sled when I buy, but I do finance some of it. Life is expensive, having two people who ride, dirtbike, kayak, climb, mtn bike, Jeep, and a few other various sports in our household means there is ALWAYS somewhere else some spare cash can go.

8summit8

Dec 7, 2007
NE South Dakota
I financed a few when I was younger, but like another member said, I've come to a point in my life that I'm not going to finance toys. Don't get me wrong I will finance things that make money, new equipment for business, etc.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
well... unlike so many of you fancy pants fellas, I'm broke and disabled.
I buy used with slowly saved up cash. Yea... I'm not riding some of the biggest, baddest out there and my gear may be comparable to a lumberjacks, but hey... I'm out there havin' fun! :face-icon-small-ton

Not crackin' on any of you with the means to do... just sayin', it ain't all about the benjamins!

Last edited:
Premium Features