• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cost for 2010 Shortblock

E
Nov 5, 2012
Hi fellas,

I'm relatively new to sledding and I'm currently looking into some 2008/2009 Skidoo Summit 800's as they seem to offer some pretty sweet performance/features and are in my price range.

Through my research I've learned that I shouldn't be surprised if the crank bearing goes and I'll have to rebuild the motor. If this should happen I'm curious how much a new shortblock (2010?) without the crank issues might cost? I'd hate to rebuild a motor just to have it blow up again due to design flaws. Can the issue be fixed with a bottom end rebuild or is it prudent to go to an entirely new motor?

I realize these sorts of issues are amplified on the internet but I'd like to have a reasonable idea of what I'm getting myself into should things go wrong.

I've searched a fair bit but can't find any clear answers to these questions. Any input would be appreciated.

Secondly, it sounds like 2008-2010 summits are fairly hard to side hill, at least by todays standards. It's hard for me to determine if that is just magazine reviewers nit-picking or if it's actually a problem? Has the aftermarket come up with any effective solutions to remedy this issue? I plan to be doing mostly mountain riding through trees etc. and would rather not buy a sled that has trouble turning and sidehilling.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
H
Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Hi fellas,

I'm relatively new to sledding and I'm currently looking into some 2008/2009 Skidoo Summit 800's as they seem to offer some pretty sweet performance/features and are in my price range.

Through my research I've learned that I shouldn't be surprised if the crank bearing goes and I'll have to rebuild the motor. If this should happen I'm curious how much a new shortblock (2010?) without the crank issues might cost? I'd hate to rebuild a motor just to have it blow up again due to design flaws. Can the issue be fixed with a bottom end rebuild or is it prudent to go to an entirely new motor?

I realize these sorts of issues are amplified on the internet but I'd like to have a reasonable idea of what I'm getting myself into should things go wrong.

I've searched a fair bit but can't find any clear answers to these questions. Any input would be appreciated.

Secondly, it sounds like 2008-2010 summits are fairly hard to side hill, at least by todays standards. It's hard for me to determine if that is just magazine reviewers nit-picking or if it's actually a problem? Has the aftermarket come up with any effective solutions to remedy this issue? I plan to be doing mostly mountain riding through trees etc. and would rather not buy a sled that has trouble turning and sidehilling.

Thanks in advance!

2008 xp's had a tighter bearing tollerence that caused bearing failures at anywhere from 2000 to 2500 miles usually. In 09 they changed the bearings so its not an issue any more. The 08 issue can be fixed by putting in a new crank, no need for a short block unless you scatter the whole thing. If you do rebuild it, I would call BIG JOHN at sled head racing and he will set you up.

As far as the sidehill complaints, they dont side hill as easy as a pro but I wouldn't want it to. My personal opinion on it is they are way easy to sidehill in the stock ski stance. if you have a hard time sidehilling it, you can put one of skidoo's narrow a-arm kits on it (36"). I actually made mine a 43" wide because I like to jump alot and it wasnt stable enough for me at 40". That being said I can still side hill it with a wider ski stance. It's all personal preference.

E
Nov 5, 2012
2008 xp's had a tighter bearing tollerence that caused bearing failures at anywhere from 2000 to 2500 miles usually. In 09 they changed the bearings so its not an issue any more. The 08 issue can be fixed by putting in a new crank, no need for a short block unless you scatter the whole thing. If you do rebuild it, I would call BIG JOHN at sled head racing and he will set you up.

As far as the sidehill complaints, they dont side hill as easy as a pro but I wouldn't want it to. My personal opinion on it is they are way easy to sidehill in the stock ski stance. if you have a hard time sidehilling it, you can put one of skidoo's narrow a-arm kits on it (36"). I actually made mine a 43" wide because I like to jump alot and it wasnt stable enough for me at 40". That being said I can still side hill it with a wider ski stance. It's all personal preference.

Much appreciated Highmark....that's pretty much exactly the the info I was looking for. Roughly how much $$$ does it cost to redo the crank. I'm a big guy and don't see myself having much trouble rolling one of these sleds over on it's side.

A sled I'm looking at has some mods including Fox shocks front and back. Can anybody offer me any impressions on these?

H
Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
You can buy a ski-doo factory re-man crank that has all new bearings and seals for $750 if you wanted to do it yourself. Or you can send the motor to Big John and he can rebuild your crank and true it, or put a new one in, and maybe some go fast goodies while he's in there. Great guy to work with.

I'm 6'3 and 240#s and I don't have any problem pulling it over on its side. The biggest complaint I hear is the way the center of mass is on the sled. They tend to want to lay back down on the skis, not hold on their sides. This is more noticeable with the wider ski stance. What style of FOX shocks are on it? I think the evols are decent. A lot of people like them a lot, but im still a fan of sprung shocks not air shocks. But I think that is personal preference in how you ride and the type of riding you do. The floats I have rode just wouldn't take the hit that my zbroz will. It seemed like you would have to pump them up for jumping and let some pressure out to take the moguls or the would start to donkey kick, but thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
Premium Features