• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski doo 800etec in 850 chassis?

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
I'm not doing this build right now. However, I just passed up a good deal on an 850 summit because engines are just way too expensive and I can't rebuild the crank myself. I can get a rebuild kit for the 800etec for $1K, the only option for an 850 at this point is a shortblock for $4K
I don't buy new sleds for a bunch of reasons so I'm always looking at serviceability. Honestly, looking at the used market right now, it seems the xm etec's are holding value way better than the 850's. I don't like the idea of throw away or exchange engines, however you want to see it.
thus the title of this thread. Thinking of a crazy idea.
Instead of putting a crate 850 in a gen 4 summit, just convert it to an etec 800, that way you've got the option to BB to 860, or just Y-pipe reeds, some porting and make the same power as an 850 and have a serviceable engine that'll last longer.
I guess the primary would be an issue with the 850 clutch being narrower to fit the chassis. If you can put an Rx1 turbo in a pro, I'm sure that there's a way to put an 800 etec in a gen 4. Just a crazy idea I had when researching the 850. With engines non serviceable and so expensive, gen 4's will be cheap and plentiful and a nice upgrade from the xm chassis.
So has anyone heard of this being attempted?
Flame it up flamers and trolls! I don't care!!! 😂 building sleds is almost as fun as riding them for some of us sicko's

Premium Features