• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Contrarian" First Ride Review: 2023 Gen5 Turbo Expert

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I think the Expert with the DS4's and non -flex track with just T-Motion, would still hold a side hill great. Wouldn't wash out. And would just give that little extra needed to put on edge easily. Maybe I'll try it:D

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Agree 100%. He does like tmotion and flex edge. He also said he liked how precise the gen 5 expert is, which would be even more noticeable in lesser snow than he rode in. The more effort would also be more noticeable. All I'm saying is he could have both with the lynx and the added benefit of more plush than anything he's rode. The only real difference is track, suspension and spindles. You can put a 34 and be easier yet than tmotion and flex edge.
I remember trying to talk him out of turbo nytros years ago and he wouldn't have it. If you're not willing to try something else you will never know. Christopher, would you go back? I don't care what you ride. Just an option.
Did you get your Lynx yet?

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Hard build a sled that suits everyone. A better snow check program would be the solution, pick your shocks, pick the 34-36” front end , track choices, rear skid .
I just buy what suits my riding style the best and if I need to change or modify it to my liking I do ,

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Hard build a sled that suits everyone. A better snow check program would be the solution, pick your shocks, pick the 34-36” front end , track choices, rear skid .
I just buy what suits my riding style the best and if I need to change or modify it to my liking I do ,
People think sleds are expensive and take too long to get now…

The manufacturers already do an incredible job of offering lots of models and options within each model.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The last thing people will come at me with is traction. I've seen cat and polaris beat doo on hill. 15 wide is going same places. This year maybe you'll see a difference because you have a full inch. Flex edge i bet lugs were 15.

In regards to the Polaris track, I will disagree with you on that. The Polaris tracks suck, it’s already been proven that a doo track on a Polaris increases the traction quite a bit.
A doo track on a Polaris is a popular mod in my area.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, would you go back? I don't care what you ride. Just an option.
No, not at this point in my life.
But make no mistake, I really did LOVE my Supercharged Nytro.
She made me pay for it, but it was a HELL OF A LOT OF FUN to ride.
But that was a younger man's sled to be sure.
At 60 I have to pick and chose more carefully now than I did before.

I WOULD be perfectly happy to throw a leg over a Lynx and give her a rip though.
I am always open to trying something new.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hard build a sled that suits everyone.
A better snow check program would be the solution, pick your shocks, pick the 34-36” front end , track choices, rear skid .
Can you imagine being able to order a Semi-Custom build!
How sweet would that be!

NIGHTMARE for commercial mass production, but OH SO SWEET for the end user.

N
Aug 26, 2018
T-motion works for some. But, if you want the most precise technical sled, it is not the best.

I am happy Doo is offering the choice between t- motion and no t-motion.

Now, if they could just mimic Poo with actual color choices for spring order, that would be great.
Funny to hear that. I actually like the simplicity in the ski doo color options compared what Polaris offers us.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
In regards to the Polaris track, I will disagree with you on that. The Polaris tracks suck, it’s already been proven that a doo track on a Polaris increases the traction quite a bit.
A doo track on a Polaris is a popular mod in my area.
I've seen every scenario out there shake out. From doo's winning to cat and polaris winning. Alot depends on the snow. It's like tires. Not a perfect scenario for every condition. Our higher elevation the polaris tracks work good. We also get alot of sugar snow. They just climb on the snow and go where others dig down and trench. Iam not a huge fan of series 7.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I've seen every scenario out there shake out. From doo's winning to cat and polaris winning. Alot depends on the snow. It's like tires. Not a perfect scenario for every condition. Our higher elevation the polaris tracks work good. We also get alot of sugar snow. They just climb on the snow and go where others dig down and trench. Iam not a huge fan of series 7.
I hated the series 7 in shorter configs but I have a 174 and it has so much area of contact that it does not trench. Would be nice if Polaris made a 174 series 8 though. I expect Polaris to release a series 9, 3" with 3.5" pitch.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Lots of strange takes on here. To say that weight doesn’t matter in mountain riding is insane. Yeah, some people wouldn’t notice 20lbs on a sled, but those same people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a 600 and 800. I am one of those guys who put a Skinz hood on the Polaris. 8lbs off the hood and another 10 from the can is significant when mountain riding. Plus I got 4x the storage with the skinz hood. And if you are riding at night a headlight is basically worthless unless going down the trail. A helmet light is the only way to go.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Lots of strange takes on here. To say that weight doesn’t matter in mountain riding is insane. Yeah, some people wouldn’t notice 20lbs on a sled, but those same people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a 600 and 800. I am one of those guys who put a Skinz hood on the Polaris. 8lbs off the hood and another 10 from the can is significant when mountain riding. Plus I got 4x the storage with the skinz hood. And if you are riding at night a headlight is basically worthless unless going down the trail. A helmet light is the only way to go.
I am the strange take you are talking about. I put a can on. It's a decent weight loss. The main reason is to get a muff pot on. You aren't making it any different places than i am. If you did it would be rider and not 18 pounds.
Lighter is better if durable but, lets be honest, it not as big of deal as it used to be. Not the huge gains anymore.
I loved the helium hood on axys. Matryx doesn't have the storage of it. I don't ride much at night but if i did i would rather have both.
I used to lighten my wife's sled up abunch and then she would pack 10 times more crap so what was the gain?
I've bought and wasted as much or more than anyone so spend away.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I have never put to much thought into weight personally but when I can change a part out I will take a quick look at weight. I personally would do a carbon fiber skid if I was wanting weight reduction. I have mentioned it in a couple other threads that I tore my bicep and probably lost my season, hoping to ride late Feb but that would be really pushing it and risking tearing it again. The number one thing that has always slowed me down on the mountain was my weight. Last year at this time I was 245, right now I am 225. I did ride twice this year after I tore my bicep and before surgery. I was shocked at how much me at 225 helped me.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Turboless Terry, According to Chapplle all your issues with the Nytro was simply because you can’t ride
Ask Chappell about the day we went sh!tholing and i left the turbo at home and took the 2 stroke. He took his turbo nytro and was whining like a little girl. I bet he took 2 years off his life.
Without a doubt, rodney is a classic.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My new turbo expert is home sitting next to her sister..
61a638ff5f5ddfdda588fe1bcb324110.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srw

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Ask Chappell about the day we went sh!tholing and i left the turbo at home and took the 2 stroke. He took his turbo nytro and was whining like a little girl. I bet he took 2 years off his life.
Without a doubt, rodney is a classic.
Haha. I’ll bet it did. You going to make it to West for new years?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
No. We don't have sleds. Mic's 9r is supposed to ship between now and January 4th but then we are trading it for a 155 which has been in for a week. No idea on my lynx. I can take the mountain max.

Premium Features