• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Contrarian" First Ride Review: 2023 Gen5 Turbo Expert

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Rode the gen v today in west snow was good sled handles good like on rails I’m impressed very precise on the power. One thing that concerns me is coming downhill it seems to not want to ride on the snow wants to dive sometimes. Maybe it’s the new skis.
If you look at the DS3 side by side with the new DS4, they are not that different.

What you are experiencing is likely due to the fact that the turbo is heavier in the nose and suspension set up.

How much doo you weigh?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
My weight is 205 front track shock at 75 percent extended front ski shocks set at 1. I haven’t moved any settings yet. I can see where the toe holds will need to be installed for more leverage.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Rode the gen v today in west snow was good sled handles good like on rails I’m impressed very precise on the power. One thing that concerns me is coming downhill it seems to not want to ride on the snow wants to dive sometimes. Maybe it’s the new skis.
The Gen 4 was bettter at downhill turns than the Polaris so I expect the Gen 5 will be more "Polaris like" for this so this is no surprise.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
My Polaris never would make a nose dive in the snow I was riding yesterday . Rentry was no problem on the gen v. To cold to ride today so I’m going to make some changes on the suspension.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you look at the DS3 side by side with the new DS4, they are not that different.

What you are experiencing is likely due to the fact that the turbo is heavier in the nose and suspension set up.

How much doo you weigh?
I know the weight is up high, but I struggle to believe the 10ish lbs would make a noticeable difference. If he’s coming from Polaris the Doo is going to feel extremely divey.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I will make this change and see if it helps where do you run your front track shock?
I don’t have a gen5. But have run my front shocks on high compression for stability when sidehilling. Rasmussen has a setup video and actually suggests changing the springs to a stiffer dual rated ones.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My Polaris never would make a nose dive in the snow I was riding yesterday . Rentry was no problem on the gen v. To cold to ride today so I’m going to make some changes on the suspension.
Okay diving in when unwanted is not something the Polaris does but I know it wants to follow drainages more on downhill drops where the old Doo is much easier to dig a ski in, turn and avoid the trees.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Picked up a brand new Gen 4 2022 Summit-X Turbo this evening from dealer in SLC.
Will ride that this season then put it up for sale as we snowcheck 2 new Gen 5 2024 Summit-X Turbos come end of Feb..

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Picked up a brand new Gen 4 2022 Summit-X Turbo this evening from dealer in SLC.
Will ride that this season then put it up for sale as we snowcheck 2 new Gen 5 2024 Summit-X Turbos come end of Feb..
I actually think you should look at a 24 lynx ds turbo 165 instead. You will get the precision that you liked on the new expert without sacrificing the nimbleness due to the 15 wide track.you will still get all the familiarity your used to and love such as shot, motor, same accessories and more. The suspension is awesome. More plush than anything out there. Not a downfall for what you like to do. Just something to ponder on.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I actually think you should look at a 24 lynx ds turbo 165 instead. You will get the precision that you liked on the new expert without sacrificing the nimbleness due to the 15 wide track.you will still get all the familiarity your used to and love such as shot, motor, same accessories and more. The suspension is awesome. More plush than anything out there. Not a downfall for what you like to do. Just something to ponder on.
Isn’t the Lynx a lot heavier?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
The Lynx suspension is amazing, however, I think it feels a little more planted compared to the Summit. If they would put a 34" front end on it and a few more features like the Expert, I'd order a 154" RE Turbo in a heartbeat.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hmm
Not so sure about that.
I know "Riding Wise" the 2022 Turbo Expert 165 is SPOT ON for me and my older son.
Its damn near everything I want in a sled.

Taken forward into the Gen5, The Summit-X (Non-Expert) is it's direct descendant.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Isn’t the Lynx a lot heavier?
It is 20 pounds or so but what he is riding doesn't matter. People actually put too much emphasis on weight and alot of things in the snowmobile world. Lighter is better but I've seen guys looking at helium hoods to save 8 pounds on a polaris. Storage isn't as nice and you lose your headlight. Then you buy lights to carry and more stuff to charge. Also, 8 pound lighter hood changes nothing in your world wether you are willing to admit it or not. It is not like the old days of taking hood off and getting 30 more feet on hill.
The other thing is he can put a 34 inch front-end on the ds if he wants. I am getting re, which is heavier yet, but reservoirs hit. They also feel narrower, due to less plastic around tank, which is a good thing. Better lighting.
I think t motion sucks in the trees and flex edge sucks on really steep stuff. Been talking about what you give up, to have that extra inch of track, for years and everyone thought i was crazy. Kind of like trying to talk people out of a mountain bar. Now they are starting to see it.
The last thing people will come at me with is traction. I've seen cat and polaris beat doo on hill. 15 wide is going same places. This year maybe you'll see a difference because you have a full inch. Flex edge i bet lugs were 15.
I don’t care what he rides. I was just trying to offer another solution, which i think is better, so he doesn't have to go through this again.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It is 20 pounds or so but what he is riding doesn't matter. People actually put too much emphasis on weight and alot of things in the snowmobile world. Lighter is better but I've seen guys looking at helium hoods to save 8 pounds on a polaris. Storage isn't as nice and you lose your headlight. Then you buy lights to carry and more stuff to charge. Also, 8 pound lighter hood changes nothing in your world wether you are willing to admit it or not. It is not like the old days of taking hood off and getting 30 more feet on hill.
The other thing is he can put a 34 inch front-end on the ds if he wants. I am getting re, which is heavier yet, but reservoirs hit. They also feel narrower, due to less plastic around tank, which is a good thing. Better lighting.
I think t motion sucks in the trees and flex edge sucks on really steep stuff. Been talking about what you give up, to have that extra inch of track, for years and everyone thought i was crazy. Kind of like trying to talk people out of a mountain bar. Now they are starting to see it.
The last thing people will come at me with is traction. I've seen cat and polaris beat doo on hill. 15 wide is going same places. This year maybe you'll see a difference because you have a full inch. Flex edge i bet lugs were 15.
I don’t care what he rides. I was just trying to offer another solution, which i think is better, so he doesn't have to go through this again.
Sounds to me like Christopher knows and likes tmo and flex edge- the things that make the X package so easy to ride. Not sure why he would go to a Lynx when it's a totally different setup... sounds to me like a good way to "go through this again" LOL.

This thread has me really anxious (in a good way) to ride my expert. Looking forward to seeing how my experience compares to others. I've always thought of t-motion as being a crutch on the Doos, but I've always acknowledged that the 2013 XM was 100x easier to ride than the XP, and tmo and flexedge were really the only changes that would have made that possible. I love the ease of getting the G4 on edge, but don't really like how they behaved once there. Hoping the G5 expert is still easy to get on edge but has much less tendency to wash and/or point uphill all the time.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Sounds to me like Christopher knows and likes tmo and flex edge- the things that make the X package so easy to ride. Not sure why he would go to a Lynx when it's a totally different setup... sounds to me like a good way to "go through this again" LOL.

This thread has me really anxious (in a good way) to ride my expert. Looking forward to seeing how my experience compares to others. I've always thought of t-motion as being a crutch on the Doos, but I've always acknowledged that the 2013 XM was 100x easier to ride than the XP, and tmo and flexedge were really the only changes that would have made that possible. I love the ease of getting the G4 on edge, but don't really like how they behaved once there. Hoping the G5 expert is still easy to get on edge but has much less tendency to wash and/or point uphill all the time.
Agree 100%. He does like tmotion and flex edge. He also said he liked how precise the gen 5 expert is, which would be even more noticeable in lesser snow than he rode in. The more effort would also be more noticeable. All I'm saying is he could have both with the lynx and the added benefit of more plush than anything he's rode. The only real difference is track, suspension and spindles. You can put a 34 and be easier yet than tmotion and flex edge.
I remember trying to talk him out of turbo nytros years ago and he wouldn't have it. If you're not willing to try something else you will never know. Christopher, would you go back? I don't care what you ride. Just an option.

Premium Features