• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CLUTCH OUT OF BALANCE???

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
We have had some very good luck with our balancing. We have made a clutch balancer out of a crank balancer so we actually spin the complete clutch just as it runs. It is the latest technology in balancing as it uses infra red system that can tell me what size hole and how deep and exactllay where. I will have a video on our web site very soon. We have done over 100 clutch balancing with almost all racers from Champ sleds that run 10,500, to Vintage race sleds 10,500 to ISOC Pro racers that spin 8,000. Once I do one for someone they send me the rest of their clutches.

Just for reference:

Polaris clutches run about 2.0 to 4.0 grams out.

Arctic Cat runs from 3.0 to 5.0 grams out

Ski-Doo runs 6.0 to 20.0 grams out

The ski doo clutches are by far the worst because they dont spin balance them they statis balance them and add shim weights under the 3 arms. I can hardly get them to spin up to 1500 RPM because of the shaking.

If you have any questions let us know.

TJ Patrick
Patrick Custom Carbon
www.patrickcustomcarbon.com
815-721-5150

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
We have had some very good luck with our balancing. We have made a clutch balancer out of a crank balancer so we actually spin the complete clutch just as it runs. It is the latest technology in balancing as it uses infra red system that can tell me what size hole and how deep and exactllay where. I will have a video on our web site very soon. We have done over 100 clutch balancing with almost all racers from Champ sleds that run 10,500, to Vintage race sleds 10,500 to ISOC Pro racers that spin 8,000. Once I do one for someone they send me the rest of their clutches.

Just for reference:

The ski doo clutches are by far the worst because they dont spin balance them they statis balance them and add shim weights under the 3 arms. I can hardly get them to spin up to 1500 RPM because of the shaking.

TJ Patrick
Patrick Custom Carbon
815-721-5150

How fast do you spin them to balance?

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
We spin the balancer at 1500 on all clutches. This will not allow any engagement so when we respin (which can take 30-40 times) it will always be the same. Plus with our balancer it projects the balance so we could actually do it at a lower RPM. If it is out 50 lbs it is 50 lbs out.

We made a arbor just like a crank end with another tappered guide on the other end.

I have seen where our balancing takes the wobble out of the clutch at the lower RPM. Many sno-cross guys are using our balanced clutches.

TJ

L
May 15, 2009

Just for reference:

TJ Patrick
Patrick Custom Carbon
815-721-5150

Do you have an approximate cost for balancing the Ski Doo clutch?
Thanks

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
We get $75.00 to balance clutches. It includes a print out of your clutch from the first spin to the last spin to show the differnce. It will also show the LBS out of balance from 1000 rpm to 10,000 rpm. Does not include shipping.

TJ

liebherrcraneguy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2010
We get $75.00 to balance clutches. It includes a print out of your clutch from the first spin to the last spin to show the differnce. It will also show the LBS out of balance from 1000 rpm to 10,000 rpm. Does not include shipping.

TJ

Can you post a pic of a ski doo clutch that has been balanced by you. Preferably post one that was closer to 20 grams out. I'm interested in seeing how thin the wall thickness gets from your process. Also do you have any youtube videos of your process? Thank you.

Imo I wouldn't let Perks oil the chain on my bicycle let alone touch my sled even if he can balance a clutch. The dudes just a dishonest quack and should have his bill wrapped shut with ELECTRICAL TAPE so he quits SPINNING his stories.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I will have a video of me balancing a Ski-Doo clutch soon.

TJ

I will look to see if the video was downloaded on u-tube.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If you get your clutch balanced, make sure sure it's in PERFECT condition before you send it....especially TRA's, they ALL need parts at least every 1500 miles, sometimes less. No sense in trying to apply precise measurements to a loose, wobbly assembly.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
If you get your clutch balanced, make sure sure it's in PERFECT condition before you send it....especially TRA-7's, they ALL need parts at least every 500 miles, sometimes less. No sense in trying to apply precise measurements to a loose, wobbly assembly.

Fixed it for ya.....

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Does it make a difference if you change out clutch components after having it balanced? Like changing ramps?

No, ramps are a machined part and consistant in weight....just don't mix brands (aftermarket) of ramps as they may use different material.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
Here is a youtube video of us balancing a Ski-doo clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCDQQL12YI

They can be way out of balance!

In this video the TRA clutch at 8000 RPM is close to 200 LBS out of balance. We send a balance sheet showing the first spin and the last spin to show how far out of balance the clutch was and where we can get it down to. We can typically get it within ISO standards which is about 1-10 lbs out at 8000 RPM.

TJ

L
May 15, 2009
Here is a youtube video of us balancing a Ski-doo clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCDQQL12YI

They can be way out of balance!

In this video the TRA clutch at 8000 RPM is close to 200 LBS out of balance. We send a balance sheet showing the first spin and the last spin to show how far out of balance the clutch was and where we can get it down to. We can typically get it within ISO standards which is about 1-10 lbs out at 8000 RPM.

TJ

Do you have before and after pictures of a stock non race Ski Doo TRA clutch that you have balanced that you could post for us to view?
Would like to see where you are drilling to do the balancing.
Thank you

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So when you guys have balanced tra7 clutches, do you remove your starter ring gear? It will eliminate some weight right? Negetive effects? I know that skidoo has produced versions without it, and I doubt that they have counterweight for it. Input is apreciated.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
We balance them with the starter ring on it. If you are not using the starter ring and want if off it wont matter for balancing. We do not remove the starter ring..

TJ

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
So when you guys have balanced tra7 clutches, do you remove your starter ring gear? It will eliminate some weight right? Negetive effects? I know that skidoo has produced versions without it, and I doubt that they have counterweight for it. Input is apreciated.

Several do remove the ring gear and balance, I did on my 860 and I know of an 880 as well. Again, many do.

Premium Features