• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch hitting

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
I did recheck the clutch alingment before i took it off and it was where i put it last winter now that is to slp spec because i'am using there tss-04 clutch tool. I will install my wife's 2010 700 clutch and see where it set's . I'am going to call the dealer back in utah and see if he will start a work order now and then i'll take it to him when i can in a week or so.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
mtn horse correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i remember the slp clutch tool being off, the polaris cutch tool is the only one that is actually correct?

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
ps-46998 is the SPX part number (the company polaris gets all their tools from/has the tools made by) any local dealer should be able to get you one

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Well i called the dealer that i bought it from today and he said to get it up there ASAP. He said that some thing is not right he said there should be about 1/4" to 3/8" between the back of the clutch and the gold plate seal cover. I even put my wife's clutch 2010 700 RMK on it no bolt slid all the way on turned by hand 6-7 time's pulled it off and you could see where it had spun on the back of her clutch. NOT GOOD.

R
Jan 3, 2008
broken case

i don't think the bearing is going to slide in and out if the case is brokin just keeps workin it's way in ?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I can't picture there being the 1/4-3/8" of free play along the entire length of the crank or into the mag side for the crank to slide that far. The rods would bind up sometime before it moved that far.

Suppose there is a chance that you have a bum crank end and it is shorter than it should be by either being machined shorter or something?

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I can't picture there being the 1/4-3/8" of free play along the entire length of the crank or into the mag side for the crank to slide that far. The rods would bind up sometime before it moved that far.

Suppose there is a chance that you have a bum crank end and it is shorter than it should be by either being machined shorter or something?

When I noticed mine, I could slide the crank back and forth at least 1/4 inch. It was day two of a four day outing as well as the last ride of the season, so I rode it, sled ran very well. When I returned home, we pulled the motor down at the local dealer, other than piston scuff and the retaining ring lip completely missing from the crank case, there was no other damage!

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Now that i dont know i dont have anything to compare it to . The 1/4" to 3/8" of gap should be from the back of the clutch to the gold plate no crank play.

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Can someone verify the clearance from the back of the clutch to the gold seal plate and post it for me i also talked to indydan today he is a cool guy very smart i did a couple thing that he told me to do and i still cannot get the crank to slide in or out but if this is the problem need to get polaris to pay the bill for the work that i want done ....

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
I did reinstall the clutch because it"s going to the dealer friday morning and i did recheck it i can get about 2 maybe 3 credit cards to fit behind the clutch i also started it and let it get hot around 130-135 shut it off and started pulling on the clutch i was pulling and the crankshaft was not moving at all so i'am not sure what the HE** is going on. Time will tell.

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
Well i took it to the dealer this morning and they looked at it they said something is not right not sure what just yet they going to call polaris and start looking at it i will keep u all up to date . I did mention the retainer that holds the crank in place and show picture's they have never seen that before. So time will tell. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE GOOD INFO AND HELP TO YOU FELLOW SLEDER'S

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
IDPolaris, I checked the distance between the clutch and seal cover and I did not have enough credit cards to check it lol. Just looking at it, it would not be a 1/4 inch but very close to.

Premium Features