• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chris Burandt Clutch Kit for new Matryx 850 including helix, thoughts?

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Boy I like to read this "History Lesson" I have been riding since 1962 and went cross country racing in 68 thru 76 and oval and drags into the mid 90s and learned a lot during these years and and with the machine shop equip and knowledge, I continue to learn as I ride and work on these sleds. I started out on serial # 13 Rupp and then Doos and Cats 1, 2, 3, and 4 cylinders along the way, To Poo 800 in 1999 and never looked back. Now still riding as hard as I can but that is not like it was back in the day as my 80 year old body likes to enjoy the day trying to keep up with the patient young folks who put up with the "Old Man" and help me out when necessary... I have had interaction with Indy Dan over the years and along with his repairing and getting many new parts along the way , have gained a lot of respect for his guidance and advice, Tony in recent years has also advised me and continued to guide me when I have called him !!! As we have gotten into the Boost sleds here in my stable, Tony has been my "GO TO Guy" to listen to and that has obviously saved much time and $$$ for me and my stable mates here in Laramie , WY I am still riding my 2018 AXYS 800 with clutching and nothing more than a light can and I rarely run out of sled but more often I run out of "talent and skill" and that is where I can continue to learn from the guys I ride with who are riding the Boost sleds. Fun---Fun!! And, Winter and Snow is coming!
gtwitch in wyoming

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I wish someone would make a Big&Tall clutch kit. At 6'7 and running 250lbs, I have bought a few over the years pretty sure that they design them for the 5'10 buck fitty pound man. Friends will say how great theirs is or mine is at first and I get on and it's a different experience for me. I always have to change something slightly or just piece together my own through trial and error.
Easy peasy for you. Drop 2 grams in the primary, drop 2 teeth on top gear or match the gear ratio that a 2tooth drop would be. Lickety split, just like that bro!

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I did my own clutching which beat stock on my 2019 850 SKS hands down idk what they thinking using a straight 42° helix 🤷🏽‍♂️🤣
Updated bottom end, Wossner topend, IndyDan ride cool head which made a huge difference in runability and no more DET issues

Snowman10

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2019
I should maybe quantify my disgust with the world of "custom clutching" Both Indy and TRS have provided more free info online then most guys sell you in their kit. I've run both of their systems with above average results, I've landed on TRS as my preferred system as although it is the most nuanced, it provides the best overall results for me and my preferences. Also Tony's willingness to explain the details and teach about the CVT system is what helped increase my ability to help others enjoy their riding experience more. I've also had Indy do rebuilds / balances on my worn clutches and bring them to an above OEM level of finished spec. I have nothing but respect for the work these guys do.

Also preference is no joke on clutching. While I LOVE my setups i've found I put guys on the sled who cant stand it. Not that it doesnt work well, they just do not enjoy the power delivery or are just not used to it so struggle to ride as well. So "best" is still subjective. My use of the term best is a quality power delivery with the least heat / fade / component wear as this provides the most consistent results from pull to pull and day to day.

My personal experience from almost 20 years of riding & wrenching transitioning from a complete newb of mechanical and riding skills to fairly seasoned in both regards has found one thing. The majority of riders don't know or care how anything works, they just want "better". They do not know what better is or how to even quantify it in any sort of real world results. So when every shop shows up with their 'secret' recipe for clutching that's the best in the world..... call me a bit skeptical. I've too often gotten kits that are virtually identical to OEM configurations or just repeats of other aftermarket kits as Dan mentioned and after being sold the same repackaged system. The amount of companies selling a rebranded what I would call the Carls Cycle clutching is disgusting. Again, as dan mentioned people copy and change the angle 1-2* on the start or finish or maybe plus or minus a few pounds on the spring rates, but ultimately its the same recipe that's been around since the dragon came out. Or my favorite is just provide a cool trade named weight which is a literal identical copy of the OEM 10 series weights and charge double.

Why I caution guys against throwing a clutch kit at their sleds before having any sort of baseline or routine maintenance done is as follows. For the last few seasons I've done fairly large amount of tunnel cuts on axys sleds. These sleds all consistently have $1-5k in other mods done to them so no just beater stockers. The one thing that I notice on nearly every machine when pulling in my shop is that the belt deflection is insanely loose and the belt is usually incredibly worn and should be reduced to a spare at best. When removing panels for work I find the sheaves are incredibly glazed, worn/missing roller bushings, and often primary springs are broken. Point being the general cross sections of sleds are at well below the OEM baseline for performance due to general neglect or lack of understanding of necessary service and upkeep.

Moral of the story: If a guy isn't capable of keeping his system in proper condition then the components of his clutch kit wont net qualty results either. I will give CB a lot of credit here, hes put some quality info on YouTube videos about this along with clutching for elevation properly and how massive the results can be. I say all this not from some holier then thou attitude as I was that guy for many years, but riding with so many people through the years that mod their sleds in a way that actually makes it function worse then stock is why I am such a critic of a LOT of mods and companies putting sales before quality product and helping make people have a better experience.
Who is CB that you referenced in this thread?

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I'm going to weigh in since I am the forum expert and all. I think clutching is way over rated. 97% of the people I have seen ride or have ridden with are not going to benefit from a clutch kit. It blows me away the people that obsess about it. I'm going to take a couple more whacks at the dead horse but stock sleds are set up pretty darn well. I think sleds have plateau'd like the street bike market. You don't need any mods if you are buying a street bike unless you race semi professionally. If what you are doing does not put you ahead of someone who has more skill than you really don't need it. Spend your money elsewhere. I have had the most opposite of the spectrum possible (probably more than anyone on this forum) when Chris and I went back and forth last year from his light weight sled to a completely bone stock rental sled. It didn't want me to have him build me a sled and money is generally not taken in consideration when it comes to sled decisions for me. If you don't have top of the line suspension you shouldn't even be wasting your time on clutching.
I have to agree, I’m one of the 97%,
clutching will not improve my riding ability🧐 That said, I have done multiple clutching upgrades over the years and some had made a noticeable improvement in back shifting etc… None of them made me a better rider.

Premium Features