• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CFR single ski racks - ALTERNATIVE mount for Polaris RMK PRO

B

Broseph

Aug 23, 2010
Weed, CA
Hey Guys,

I thought I'd share with you my alternative mounting for the Cheetah single ski, direct tunnel mount racks on my 2014 Polaris RMK Pro.

The CFR racks arrived and I was prepping for install...holding the ski up, deciding where to drill, locating correct strap placement etc. and I just wasn't satisfied with the setup (or drilling holes in a brand new sled!). My main hang-ups were the strap system and how it is supposed to run diagonally over the ski and also the small red tail "rack" that is supposed to mount to your running boards. The Pro's boards just don't accept it well.

One beer later and an idea from my friend (engineer, go figure!) I came up with what is to follow in this post. I didn't take any pictures of the process, but hopefully the end result photos will be enough to help you should you choose to embark on this style of mounting on your sled.

I see many positive traits to this setup. You get a utility rack to strap things down! It's completely adjustable and/or removable. Its super clean, bomber, and only 4 small rivet holes need to be drilled.

What you'll need:
CFR single ski, direct tunnel mount racks with hardware
4 foot piece of angled aluminum
drill and drill bits
rivet gun
6 - 1 inch carriage bolts
2 - 1/2" aluminum spacers
2 - 3 1/2" inch carriage bolts (to replace 2 of the CFR supplied bolts as they needed to be longer)
rivets
two short rubber bungies

Basic Process:

Take the 4 foot piece of angled aluminum and cut it in half. These two sections are your new rack! The CFR racks will mount to these. You will use the carriage bolt tracks in the tunnel of sled to mount to. Drill three holes in each piece at proper location according to how you want it. These are the holes you'll use to mount to the tunnel with the 1 inch carriage bolts. Make sure, wherever you drill the holes, that they are in a straight line!
Mount the angled aluminum, but no need to tighten yet.

Next, get your CFR single ski rack and decide where to mount it along the aluminum. I put mine directly above where the rear running board brace joins the tunnel. Mark the location and drill the two holes out. The CFR rack comes with this hardware, but one of the bolts will need to be longer and is where you'll use the aluminum spacer also. This is to accommodate the male end of the ratchet strap.

The CFR racks come with the long strap that is supposed to mount to the rack and the other end riveted to the tunnel. The male end of the ratchet strap comes riveted to a nice piece of CNC'd aluminum. While it was a bummer to get rid of this nice piece, drill out the rivet as this piece is not needed. The male end of the ratchet strap will mount to the CFR rack with the aluminum spacer. (See picture) The female end of ratchet strap mounts (per normal) on the other side of the rack and CFR provides hardware for that.

Next, simply decide where you want to drill holes along the aluminum utility rack. These holes can be used to hook bungies to, etc. I drilled large and small holes alternately, mainly for looks. As you drill one side, all you have to do is hold the other side up, match it and drill it. No double measuring.

Lastly, put your ski in the rack when you have it dialed. Take small bungie and decide where you want it for tail of ski. Drill, and rivet. (See picture.)

Thats it! Hopefully the pics will help. Now we just need snow! Cheers and if you have any questions, please hollar!:horn:

NM
Mt Shasta, CA

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features