• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat Service bulletin

H
Feb 13, 2009
Half of quart/ a quart, has been the norm for years, what,,,, has the dealers some how for got to make sure the customer puts oil in the tank? bleed the lines? this is crap that happened in the 80`s!!!

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Arctic Cat is investigating the handful of burndowns...

Why the fudge are they calling them burndowns? Aren't burndowns when you've cooked a piston due to a lean condition? You'd think they'd call them "engine seizures".

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Its not a oil problem, I have seen 2 strokes go miles on straight gas, (high performance ones) Its a tolerance issue, for some reason the piston swells to fast, oil may contribute along with coolant bubbles, going full throttle off the trailer and down the trail (takes quite a while to heat up the right way, at least a few miles) Never go WOT first time, go easy until you shut it off for the first time.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Its not a oil problem, I have seen 2 strokes go miles on straight gas, (high performance ones) Its a tolerance issue, for some reason the piston swells to fast, oil may contribute along with coolant bubbles, going full throttle off the trailer and down the trail (takes quite a while to heat up the right way, at least a few miles) Never go WOT first time, go easy until you shut it off for the first time.

actually it is an oil problem. lack of actually.

the 2 strokes you have seen go for miles on straight gas were machines that were already broken in. quite a bit different on a brand new motor.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
The biggest thing I don't get is, how are they going down from lack of oil if everyone is putting oil in the first tank like they should. This is the whole reason that you are supposed to run oil in the first tank, to take care of it if there is air in the oiling system.

Either these customers are assuming that the dealer added all the oil and are not adding any themselves or they don't know to do it or don't care.

If you have been reading about all of this I just don't understand why you wouldn't add some extra oil to the first tank just as a precaution. Having a warranty claim isnt a big deal to me, but a ruined trip out west would be.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
The biggest thing I don't get is, how are they going down from lack of oil if everyone is putting oil in the first tank like they should. This is the whole reason that you are supposed to run oil in the first tank, to take care of it if there is air in the oiling system.

Either these customers are assuming that the dealer added all the oil and are not adding any themselves or they don't know to do it or don't care.

If you have been reading about all of this I just don't understand why you wouldn't add some extra oil to the first tank just as a precaution. Having a warranty claim isnt a big deal to me, but a ruined trip out west would be.

Do all the Dealers FILL the tanks?? Probably not. They put in a couple of gallons of fuel along with little oil, run the sled and ship it. The customer then puts 9 gallons of fuel in, adds no oil, a little air in the oil line, and VOILA we have a formula for burndown. Is this the scenario?? I don't know. Could be. I know I run a FULL tank of premix in all my new sleds.

Sam

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
To my knowledge the dealers put enough oil in to properly premix the whole tank of fuel, then the customer just fills it with fuel. I just find it weird that most of the guys that had the seizures said they were smoking like crazy when warming them up, that oil is coming from somewhere. The 100:1 thats in the tank is not hardly enough to make smoke????? Hopefully someone will figure this out soon!

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
To my knowledge the dealers put enough oil in to properly premix the whole tank of fuel, then the customer just fills it with fuel. I just find it weird that most of the guys that had the seizures said they were smoking like crazy when warming them up, that oil is coming from somewhere. The 100:1 thats in the tank is not hardly enough to make smoke????? Hopefully someone will figure this out soon!

You are correct. 100:1 will not smoke. But it sure will smoke with that much oil before the customer fills the tank. Possibly the smoking is when loading it in the trailer and on initial start up after receiving the sled. Again, I don't know. So many variables it's crazy.:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-ton

Sam

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Most dealers just have some gas that is premixed at 100:1. They add just enough to do their test and ship it out. Then you need to add oil with the first tank. This should be explained to you when you pick up your sled.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Most dealers just have some gas that is premixed at 100:1. They add just enough to do their test and ship it out. Then you need to add oil with the first tank. This should be explained to you when you pick up your sled.

I'm not sure on Cat, but this is how it worked when I picked up my Pro. Dealer gave me a liter of VES Gold to mix in the first tank. Approx. a 40:1 premix.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

J

jdm1985

May 13, 2009
Ambrose ND
cat and my dealer said 100:1 but i always put a few extra ounces in, get it to atleast 75:1. i like the extra insurance. JMO but it cant hurt anything, i know when i rebuild something im not to scared to use alot of oil in everything, spark plugs are cheaper than pistons

M
Nov 13, 2010
Did Cat try to make them use less oil this year? Like the Ski-doo? I was told that they were trying so they could better meet the new emission standards.... but have no idea if that is true. When i got my 09 m8 from the dealer the oil pump was turned up so high that after my first ride I was looking all over for the hole in the resevoir.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Both dealers I have bought from over the years added all the oil and just told me to fill it up before riding. Those of you that were told to mix your own must have tightwad dealers, Really whats a quart of oil on a sale of a new sled. I would think they would want to put the oil in so the sled dont come back with premature engine failure, also what would they tell cat if it did fail (oh ya I told the consumer to add oil to the tank):face-icon-small-con

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
the good thing to me is they are blowing right away when they do.

meaning if you get one that works its probably going to work like the proven history....

-Aksnopro

I have to agree. As sad as it is to have a new sled grenade (which shouldn't happen to any brand), if it's gonna happen, I'd much rather have it happen a few km down the trail vs 20-30 km into the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

H
Feb 26, 2009
Seized motor

My buddies ProClimb M800 went down half a km from the truck, the shop just phoned him and told him it was in fact bubbles in the oil line. Guess the story goes that the oil reserve "tank" sits lower then the oil injection on the motor, unlike the M8, so there is no gravity assist and the oil is only pumped in the motor. The coolant pump and oil pump both run off a "worm" gear on the end of the crank which is also the first part of the motor to lose lubrication, so a double failure in not so many words....his motor was so hot it dumped all the coolant and popped the plug wires off.

I'm not an expert but personally I would not let my oil run out in the reservoir to hopefully avoid introducing bubbles and I would be putting extra oil in the gas tank until they sort this out.

Call your dealers to see if they have heard anything more.

Derek.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
If you have your oil tank full then then it is much higher then the pump, so it will gravity feed. I dont care how hot your engine gets it will not pop off the pug wires, that just stupid. Sounds more like there was air in the cooling system or a bad seal and the engine was pressurizing it, either situation would cause it to quite circulating and over heat. These stories are getting crazier by the minute. Popping plug wires, thats a good one.

H
Feb 26, 2009
Go West, I'm just relaying the story to help people out, you calling me a liar? Thats why I don't bother with these forums cause guys like you. You guys can go figure it out yourselves then, i'll just keep the info the Cat rep told my buddy to myself.

Premium Features