• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown Motor Presents: 405 Lb. PRO RMK 163 by Carls Cycle Sales

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
LOL....2 sled,s same hill, about 100 yards apart. Get your facts straight boys!!! And no I haven't tried it again!!!

Back to the bad a-s Carl's Cycle sled....... ;

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yes, Carbon is one of the most expensive weight savings out there, but it sure does look trick. Like said before, when you get into this sort of a build, or when you start something like this. You are likely not even asking prices haha, more of a "just get it done" attitude. Impressive to say the least. There is still a ton of weight on this sled to be lost, in our opinion.
Where and how much more are you thinkin could be shed?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
LOL....2 sled,s same hill, about 100 yards apart. Get your facts straight boys!!! And no I haven't tried it again!!!

Back to the bad a-s Carl's Cycle sled....... ;

HAHA.

I haven't taken any good carnage photos or vids in a while.
Hey Anthony, wanna go sledding this winter?

BWAAHAHAHA

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK

I'll throw my $0.02, if you replace all the aluminum chassis parts with CF parts (C3 is tooling up to do the bulkhead pieces soon), tunnel sides and top, entire over structure including the cast connectors, the bearing plate in CF with Titanium bearing bores, CF drive shaft with Titanium splined ends, Titanium steering post, Titanium pitman arm, and Titanium idler arm, Titanium A-arms if CF proves too fragile, CF version of the EZ-Ryde with CF Rails, smaller aluminum Ceramic brake disc located on the drive shaft under the driven clutch, CF plastics, CF fuel and oil tanks, CF air box, CF belt guard, CF handle bars, get rid of all the needless steel brackets (I.e. The front seat clip, exhaust brackets), Hydro-Phobic hard anodized Aluminum bumpers, all bolts replaced with either Titanium or hard anodized aircraft aluminum hardware where applicable, ceramic hybrid bearings thru out ( crank shaft included), Titanium or ultra thin inconel exhaust, quality aluminum tie rod ends, no zerks ( Delrin bushings throughout, assembled with a thin film of light arctic grease), minimize the needless electrical components, LED lights, etc. etc. Everything scrutinized and weight saved, all while fixing the weak points that the consumers have identified.

Another 100#'s easy! Not cheap, but easy.

Last edited:

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012

Want to start off by saying that this thing is a work of art for sure, not bashing on how it was built by any means. Just think for the money invested the power to weight ratio is just ok, rather than great. With that said remember that this sled in Russia, where it was shipped to is over 20k stock, so our methodology here by starting with a 13k dollar sled is already skewed.

So assuming that there is clearly no budget on this build, and that right now the weight to HP ratio completely full of fluids is .4294, just seems like since you already spent 45k we might as well max out the budget haha.

Those figures are based on 405 lb sled, 10 gallons of fuel at 6.073lb/gal and 200 HP. Jack does not claim HP on this motor so everybody just has a guess, most say 190-200 so we will use the high number.
(Stock 163 weighs in at 484.73 with approx 140 hp is .288)

With that said, I think you could save another 5-10 lbs just on using all Titanium Fasteners on the entire sled. You will save some weight believe it or not by switching to airframes over the billet boards from Polaris. You could remove the massive taillight and use an LED one. Titanium steering post, titanium front bumper etc. All little things yes but when talking about a 20lb difference for 30 grand, every ounce counts haha.

The real question that we would like to know is what does the carbon save for weight? Or all said and done does it? Also would like to know how much more the 900 motor weighs than the 800. If we knew those things we would really be able to break this build down etc. The only other lightweight sled we can compare to that we have seen numbers on a build would be Darcy's 397Lb. PRO Rmk.

Still an incredible build and truly a work of art, it is beautiful!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Thank you.

Now I KNOW there had to be more photos!!!

Want to start off by saying that this thing is a work of art for sure, not bashing on how it was built by any means. Just think for the money invested the power to weight ratio is just ok, rather than great. With that said remember that this sled in Russia, where it was shipped to is over 20k stock, so our methodology here by starting with a 13k dollar sled is already skewed.

So assuming that there is clearly no budget on this build, and that right now the weight to HP ratio completely full of fluids is .4294, just seems like since you already spent 45k we might as well max out the budget haha.

Those figures are based on 405 lb sled, 10 gallons of fuel at 6.073lb/gal and 200 HP. Jack does not claim HP on this motor so everybody just has a guess, most say 190-200 so we will use the high number.
(Stock 163 weighs in at 484.73 with approx 140 hp is .288)

With that said, I think you could save another 5-10 lbs just on using all Titanium Fasteners on the entire sled. You will save some weight believe it or not by switching to airframes over the billet boards from Polaris. You could remove the massive taillight and use an LED one. Titanium steering post, titanium front bumper etc. All little things yes but when talking about a 20lb difference for 30 grand, every ounce counts haha.

The real question that we would like to know is what does the carbon save for weight? Or all said and done does it? Also would like to know how much more the 900 motor weighs than the 800. If we knew those things we would really be able to break this build down etc. The only other lightweight sled we can compare to that we have seen numbers on a build would be Darcy's 397Lb. PRO Rmk.

Still an incredible build and truly a work of art, it is beautiful!

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
We COULD NOT be busier right now packing for the show and fulfilling orders, but ask and you shall receive! We aim to please!!

Premium Features