• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills stumps (early storm carnage)

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
We were considering a trip to the Black Hills but the folds at a well established resort state they do not recommend any off trail riding. There were so many trees that went down during their early storm last fall where 3 foot stumps were left. Has anyone heard about increased problems hitting stumps off trail? Thanks in advance. If we go the plan would be mostly off trail riding.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
No not at all. The only damage to trees was the littler trees that couldn't hold the snow, and that was more in the lower elevations. The only excess of stumps you'll see are in areas that they have gutted due to pine beetle or other various reasons.

S

skidoo1210

May 24, 2009
Worthing, SD
We were out the first weekend of January and had no problems with stumps that early in the season. We didn't see much for storm damage up by trailshead. You see some from the interstate to Lead but not much in the riding areas. My brother in law was out this weekend and said the snow has been great. I think you will be good to go. Have fun.

I

insomniac62

Nov 19, 2010
Aberdeen, SD
Was out there last weekend .... All that great snow really covers the land mines .... It's the black hills.... Wife enjoys trails on her annual trip....head further west...

2011 M8 153"
Boondocker Turbo
KMOD
Built by VOHK

2006 M7 162"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Thanks everyone! I thought it was odd that they recommended avoiding off trail riding and said 6 rentals had been totaled. Would imagine a certain number of rentals get totaled every year (just like my sled:face-icon-small-hap).

Premium Features