• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills... maybe some snow??

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P
Hey it looks like the hills are actually getting a somewhat significant storm here today???
I know the off trail riding won't be worth @#%! for a while but if someone lives around there and can give an update on how much snow you get that would be greatly appreciated, we might come out and do some trail riding on the 28th if they're grooming the trails,

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Terry Peak is saying 8 to 10 inches of new snow today. I would venture a guess and say that Spearfish got anywhere from 6 to 8 inches. Weather Service is hinting at another possible snow event on Christmas Day similar to this one. If that becomes reality, the trails would be in great shape over the New Years. Hope to go up on Sunday and mess around.

Merry Christmas all

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
weather.com is predicting snow for lead for the next three days and thursday. Please keep us updated on the snow reports. If they get another foot of snow we'll probably go out there.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
was up there today hunting.. trails have really good snow.. and freshly groomed.. some draws have over 16 inches on snow.. the wind was blowing pretty good today the tops only have 2-3 inches

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
that is where I was hunting.. well from trailshead to spearfish.. like stated before draws are ok.. but the wind is really blowing.. there was quite a few bare spots on the tops today

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
not sure what they got up top last night.. had 1-2 inches here in the northern foothills when we work up.. skies are starting to clear though.. :(

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
Dropped off at Trailshead yesterday. Headed north and over in cement ridge area. Snow is 6" to 18". No base. Off trail is full of land mines. Pretty busy. A lot of older trail sleds running around. Saw a few of the new sleds. They are grooming. Not going to get to full of mogels with the low snow. Still had a fun day. Might go back up Tuesday.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Winter Storm Warning

NWS is predicting 6" to 12" in the Northern Black Hills tonight and tomorrow. Should be a happy new year.

Went to Dumont yesterday to take the kids sledding and snowmobiling. Trails were a bit icey in this area but good on the straights. Logging trails seem to be the best bet yet as off trail, as Prairiebound indicated, is very risky. Have fun. Hope to go up on New Year's Day or Wednesday.

suburbanman

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
Lead Deadwood area has about 6-8 inches of new snow from last night and today. Trails are about the only place to safely ride as there is no base off trail yet.

P
Beware off trail

Went up this past weekend and rode three days, trails were pretty good except trail #5, but what else is new I don't know if I've ever had a good ride on 5... there is quite a bit of snow but no bottom AT ALL.. I was riding right around 3A in a meadow with close to 20" of snow, takin it slow, but hit a big rock just under the snow and twisted the whole front susp on the right side so be careful in the hills yet.. if your just stickin to the trails its pretty good

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
drove around the south side of the hills and stayed in rapid friday night. looked cloudy up top, hopin it was dumping

bigecb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
St. Michael, MN
drove around the south side of the hills and stayed in rapid friday night. looked cloudy up top, hopin it was dumping

I hope so! Got a group heading out there later this week... if it totally sucks we may have to push further west... pretty sure we are gonna look like the snow searching version of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Premium Features