• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 3

jheitzman

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2011
Milltown, SD
We closed out our trip today with a couple hours of riding before packing up and heading home. Much better day of powder today! Little snowfall overnight freshened everything up. Hard to believe it but we found some nice riding not very far from Trailshead. I figured after the weekend everything would be trashed. Had to get a shot of the fleet before we left. Happy trails!

Josh

image.jpg

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
great vid Wags loved it. Pm me if interestest in doing some vid of waterski shows in ABR over the summer, Hosting a huge tourn, in late july. I know its not frozen but at least it's water and ski's are involved. Maybe an occasional bikini as well.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
let it snow

From the hardy camp pictures it looks like it is snowing pretty good. I can not get on to trailshead camera as it asks for a user name and password. Any idea what I need. I tried to fill in a user name and password but the web just kicks me back. :face-icon-small-con

F
Nov 11, 2013
Aberdeen SD
any news as to how much fresh snow has fallen since presidents day thinking of coming out next wkend, but only if there has been at least 6 in of fresh in the last 2 weeks.

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
I'm no Duane. But snow is very good. Trails are beat now but should get cleaned up quick. North slopes are best ever. South facing slopes are pretty thin and hard packed. Good luck to all. Land mines are now hidden pretty much everywhere we rode today

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
I'm no Duane. But snow is very good. Trails are beat now but should get cleaned up quick. North slopes are best ever. South facing slopes are pretty thin and hard packed. Good luck to all. Land mines are now hidden pretty much everywhere we rode today

Did you ride north our south of trailshead

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Everyone is right. Still good soft snow in the trees. Meadows are set up but there has been enough new snow to keep the top fresh. Lots of traffic today. Had 1 injury accident today. Rental hit a tree. Female operator ended up with a concusion. She had no memory of the accident or since she arrived in the hills on Thursday.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
Duane, whats the legal age to operate a sled on the trails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
http://www.snowmobilers.org/facts_statelaws.html

Is this true? My 10yr old can ride her sled on the trails? I have ridden the hills for a few years and have seen all ages riding, but am a bad judge of age, some kids look 10 and are 21. So i figured I better ask. Headed out tomorrow. Watch for the hot pink backcountry. That will be us

stormfan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2010
Iowa
Snow conditions

Just finished a 3 day trip, some of the best conditions I have seen in years. Great base, fresh snow on top, can go just about anywhere you want. There are still landmines, but unless you are hammering down, you won't tear things up. Hope snow conditions stay good, hope to go back in a couple weeks.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
http://www.snowmobilers.org/facts_statelaws.html

Is this true? My 10yr old can ride her sled on the trails? I have ridden the hills for a few years and have seen all ages riding, but am a bad judge of age, some kids look 10 and are 21. So i figured I better ask. Headed out tomorrow. Watch for the hot pink backcountry. That will be us

From my understanding there is not a age requirement for trail riding. I believe the only requirement is a legal age driver needs to either closely supervise or physically cross the snowmobile across paved roads or county/state highways.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Duane, whats the legal age to operate a sled on the trails?

SD requires a snowmobile operator be at least 14YOA to operate unsupervised on a road or road right of way. Since some of the trails are located either on a closed road or highway right of way the 14yoa unsupervised requirement would apply. So as long as they are supervised by an adult kids under 14 can ride the trails.

Premium Features