• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Big Boy" Torsion Springs on IQ: Inputs??

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

curt

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2008
Air shock

You can add a air shock and keep your stock springs in place. This allows you to adjust it in a wide range. Also with just doing the springs you are not changing the fluid dampening that truly controls ride. www.carbonsled.com

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
OK and to throw another wrench in the works... is this with or without the "upgraded" (carl's stiffer) front sway bar in the equation? As the #225 spring seemed to definetley help the handling issues!
Good to see there a few more saggy azz 900's out there:eek:

Either..but everyone should already be running the 225lb spring long before these..and this would be the NEXT step..

You can add a air shock and keep your stock springs in place. This allows you to adjust it in a wide range. Also with just doing the springs you are not changing the fluid dampening that truly controls ride. www.carbonsled.com

sure..if we all had tons of $$, i would be there, lol...

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
.359 spring, 47 ° part numbers

7042068-067 Left
7042069-067 Right

Some sag is correct... too much is not.

From what Curt at FTX says, this spring will help the sled perform better and have less sag.
these are round rod springs and the stock are square rod springs..I am assuming that the round peg will fit into the square hole? These are the .359's...wouldnt the .375 or .374 be better for heavier riders. 7042079-067 Spring, Torsion, LH (Opt.)[.375/47] 7042080-067 Spring, Torsion, RH (Opt.)[.375/47]
??

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
Question

I put the 220lb front track spring and 7042079-067 & 7042080-067 torsion springs on the sled the other night, WOW thet is a stiff set-up-i have no more sag in the rear suspension, i am worried now it will trench like no other, who else is running this set up and have you had any problems with it trenching

A
Oct 21, 2009
are all fox shocks adjustable??? I have a 99 xcr and need to stiffin the susp allot. I am ordering the 407/77for now but cant find the adjustment screw on the shock...hmmmm:confused:

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
.375/47* Springs

Installed these on Tuesday night. Rode them Wed for 35 miles. First run of the year on the new 09 163 Dragon. I also installed Exit rear skid shocks from Fastrax. These springs do get rid of that dead zone so the tunnel sits nice and high and will return when you push and release on the bumper. It is kind of stiff right now but I am sure the springs will take a set after some use. This is much better than the rear of the tunnel sitting on top of the rear wheels as before with me sitting on the sled. I go 260 geared up for now(hope to render down a bit). Will see how these springs workout. If I do have to change them because of weight loss. Then I would go with the .359/47* ones. The 47* preload angle seems to be the ticket here.:)

A
Dec 11, 2007
I agree. The 47 degree angle dramatically reduces the sag on the sled. Just finished installing them yesterday, no rides yet though.

Couple questions....Now the rear is still how will this affect the front (center)shock? Which position should I place it in? (it's in the middle) It's a WE air on the 08 D8. I don't want it to trench as bad as it did with the stock springs.

Next...With the 375/47 the springs are wider. Now the upper bogies are a little further spaced out and they allow the track driver lugs some "play" room to float. The track now seems very close to the right drop bracket, even after realignment and retensioning the track twice. Will this be OK and the track will float OK?

Thanx!

C

cmrmk

Nov 29, 2007
Stanwood
These springs work great, I installed them on Friday and rode Saturday they seem to absorb the bumps great. I did have a problem with the carrier wheels rubbing when I first put them on but I took them off and shaved about a tenth off of them and that seem to help. They didn't rub at all when I rode saturday. Compared to the stock springs they are a little wider but they do make a big difference for the quality of the ride for us heavy guys. Didn't seem to trench I have them on the lightest setting and the front shock in the stock postion with the limiter strap on the bottom hole. I would highly recommend these springs for us heavy guys. Thanks Curt!

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
I installed the .359 spring - 47° this weekend in my 700 155. Man there was quite a difference. Much bigger spring and seems very stiff - in the shop. Need to beat the crap out of them on the snow to know for sure. I'm about 230 geared up plus whatever is straped to the tunnel. I was a low rider last year so I'm sure this should do the trick.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
We usually run the center shock in the lower mounting position to lessen the weight transfer a bit and help the front of the skid float a little better to lessen trenching-depending on how hard you run the bumps and what you weigh, you may have to change the center shock build in this mounting configuration to properly absorb the bumps-
Any remaining trenching issues you may or may not have can be solved with our drop and roll kit-approach angle is critical in a mountain sled!

Curt

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
We usually run the center shock in the lower mounting position to lessen the weight transfer a bit and help the front of the skid float a little better to lessen trenching-depending on how hard you run the bumps and what you weigh, you may have to change the center shock build in this mounting configuration to properly absorb the bumps-
Any remaining trenching issues you may or may not have can be solved with our drop and roll kit-approach angle is critical in a mountain sled!

Curt

I know you like other shocks beside the Walkers but what would you suggest for nitrogen pressure in the front track shock and rear track shock. This is on a turbo D8.

Jan 7, 2008
Wasilla, AK
So I need Clarity?

I read through the posts and am still a little confused: 47, 77 and 90 degree choices? I have a 2008 700 155" dragon. I have 5-7" of sag with nothing on the back tunnel. I am around 200-215 when dressed for riding. I usually carry a 2 1/2 can and some times 5 gall can. Plus some gear on the back end 5-15 lbs total. So was looking at going to the .375, but am confused at to which angle is best.??? I am thinking the 47 degree??

C

cmrmk

Nov 29, 2007
Stanwood
Go with the 47 degree you won't be dissappointed, they worked great for me and I'am 250 with all my gear.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
bigbadbow, I know you are waiting for a reply from Curt, but I just want to clarify that the outside of upper torsion spring rubs on the inside of the upper idler wheel? So is the spring to big or too wide that it rubs or does it expand with weight on it and then rub? Can you post a picture of how it looks?

I have been looking for a solution for with the big boy springs and just ordered these yesterday. I had ordered the next size down but they are what came stock in both my dragons. Also I assume you have a rmk IQ? Thanks for your info and any help.

Last edited:
Premium Features