• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best control box?

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
But who's to say that SLP will have the correct tune for the mods that your individual sled has?

I'm currently running the PCIII with SLP's tune, and it works great... BUT I now have all SLP mods on my sled.

If I had other mfg's mods on my sled I'd stick with the Boondocker. It works great for that and is easily adjustable on the hill!

they clearly state that the programs they have are for the mods listed. if they come out with more programs with different mods, then i'd trust it. if you are different mods than the ones they list, then yes, you'd be taking a chance.

Vernon

M

MEDIUMPIMPN

Nov 28, 2007
PIERRE
everyone is having problems with the way a cat ecu works to get the closed loop system to work right and im not sure it will even be possible the na sleds might be possible but the turbo is another story for the closed loop hopefully someone gets it handled before the season is over.i run a atitude box and i would not run anything else personal preferance great service

some one needs to come out with software to tune the factory ecm, the problem with all the current boxes is they will always be fighting against the ecm, they are all piggyback systems and manipulate the injectors +- pulsewidth, seems like a poor theory but i guess its all we have at this time, hopefully some manufacturer will invest $ into tuning software instead of piggyback systems

my.02

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
ya i sent mine back to him for a reflash after nitrous portion tripped on . never did get the box back . after phoning and email. know he's selling refurbished boxes for cheap.08 m1000

Every time i phone they pick right up! I have had no problems!

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
Boondocker will have new Programming!

Just to let everyone know, for those who want more tuning features and don't want to carry around a laptop, there will be new programming available for Boondocker boxes (for both new and old boxes, non-turbo only, nitrous capable, Arctic Cat and Polaris first, other models to follow).

Not all the details and features have been finalized (I'm finishing the code) so don't call Boondocker just yet, but among the new features the box will have 13 rpm settings (pre-programmed to any rpm requested) and 6 tps ranges (each range can be set by the user in the box).

The box can be switched at any time between two tuning modes: an advanced mode that gives you all 13rpm/6tps adjustments, and a simple mode with 5 rpm/3tps adjustments - both modes adjust the same fueling map, the 5rpm mode will adjust multiple rpm/tps settings.

An analog 0-5V air/fuel signal (most all A/F meters have a wire for this) can be connected to the box and the actual Air Fuel ratio will be displayed on the Stats screen in real-time. The air/fuel meter you are using will need to be specified before the box is programmed, but most popular A/F meters will be supported (Innovate, AEM, NGK).

The capture feature (best way to tune) will perform 10 consecutive captures (instead of just 1), that can be later viewed so you can see how the Stats are changing when a capture is triggered (very useful to use the nitrous button for this). This makes using an A/F gauge more meaningful since it always lags what the engine has already done.

I believe pre-set maps work ok for specific engine combinations under certain conditions, but for someone who has a non-standard combination, or who wants maximum performance, or when temps / elevations change and tuning is a little off, or for when a safer tune is desired for pump gas vs race gas, or for when fuel pressure varies, or when an ECU is updated for warranty, custom tuning will always be necessary for best performance. For anyone who has carried a laptop and tried to custom tune a powercommander, it can be a handful (too many rpm, tps settings to deal with) and it is difficult to do unless you have a dyno and you can hold the rpm/tps at fixed settings (dynotuners love powercommanders) - but dynotuning doesn't deal well with conditions when you are on/off the throttle, or the when engine loads vary. Also, the powercommander has 32 rpms and 9 tps settings, many which you do not use most of the time due to the clutching (sled engines aren't lugged). The Boondocker 13rpm / 6tps settings can be placed exactly where they are needed instead of every 250rpm like the powercommander has - whether you need to tune that specific rpm or not, it's there and it will be in the way of where you really need to tune.

For it's overall features and ease of use, I still haven't seen a better tool for tuning snowmobiles than the Boondocker box - that is partly why I am still adding features, plus I'm going back to riding a non-turbo sled for a little while this season (I just wish someone had timing control that works).

Again, this hasn't been released yet, but I thought people who are considering different tuning options should know about this upgrade so they might keep their old Boondocker box around a little longer. I don't frequent these forums much anymore (I'm doing lots of other stuff), but I'll try to answer what I can, when I can...

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
thanx fastgas...i knew you guys would step up to the plate...i haven;t one of your boxes but i have been very strongly leaning towards the boondocker vs power commander and now your upgrades i think is the cincher...i am looking forward to your completion...i anticipate the koso a/f guage may work in your stats screen..??...anyway no problem if it doesn;t..

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
A couple notes on the Power Commanders.

PCIII's available now!

Polaris CFI PCV's coming soon.
Arctic Cat PC V's should be available around the 2nd or 3rd week of November not January. This year we have a PC V for the 2003-2006 500,600,700cc lay down twins. This gives customers with the older sleds and pipe kits the ability to use autotune to build their own maps.
Yamaha and Skidoo 4tec PC V's are available.

As far as the different intake, Pipe and engine combinations and how to map them Autotune works great for this, it dials in a user specified AFR and builds the map for you. If you build a map that works good for your combination share it with a friend or post it here so someone else can benefit.

As far as the claim that you will always need the ability to tune on the hill, I ask does your stocker run good from the bottom of the hill to the top? Then your modified sled should do the same. When you build a map it should work good reguardless of riding conditions temp, elevation ect.

If you have questions about the true plug and play ability of our products talk with anyone that is running a SLP map for their combos or one of the maps that DynoTech Research did for the Polaris sleds last year.

More maps will be available this year, SLP is developing more maps for their combinations and Speedwerx is building maps for their combos. There are also a couple local speedshops that are working on their own map combinations i.e. Racing Station.

Last edited:

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Just to let everyone know, for those who want more tuning features and don't want to carry around a laptop, there will be new programming available for Boondocker boxes (for both new and old boxes, non-turbo only, nitrous capable, Arctic Cat and Polaris first, other models to follow).

Not all the details and features have been finalized (I'm finishing the code) so don't call Boondocker just yet, but among the new features the box will have 13 rpm settings (pre-programmed to any rpm requested) and 6 tps ranges (each range can be set by the user in the box).

The box can be switched at any time between two tuning modes: an advanced mode that gives you all 13rpm/6tps adjustments, and a simple mode with 5 rpm/3tps adjustments - both modes adjust the same fueling map, the 5rpm mode will adjust multiple rpm/tps settings.

An analog 0-5V air/fuel signal (most all A/F meters have a wire for this) can be connected to the box and the actual Air Fuel ratio will be displayed on the Stats screen in real-time. The air/fuel meter you are using will need to be specified before the box is programmed, but most popular A/F meters will be supported (Innovate, AEM, NGK).

The capture feature (best way to tune) will perform 10 consecutive captures (instead of just 1), that can be later viewed so you can see how the Stats are changing when a capture is triggered (very useful to use the nitrous button for this). This makes using an A/F gauge more meaningful since it always lags what the engine has already done.

I believe pre-set maps work ok for specific engine combinations under certain conditions, but for someone who has a non-standard combination, or who wants maximum performance, or when temps / elevations change and tuning is a little off, or for when a safer tune is desired for pump gas vs race gas, or for when fuel pressure varies, or when an ECU is updated for warranty, custom tuning will always be necessary for best performance. For anyone who has carried a laptop and tried to custom tune a powercommander, it can be a handful (too many rpm, tps settings to deal with) and it is difficult to do unless you have a dyno and you can hold the rpm/tps at fixed settings (dynotuners love powercommanders) - but dynotuning doesn't deal well with conditions when you are on/off the throttle, or the when engine loads vary. Also, the powercommander has 32 rpms and 9 tps settings, many which you do not use most of the time due to the clutching (sled engines aren't lugged). The Boondocker 13rpm / 6tps settings can be placed exactly where they are needed instead of every 250rpm like the powercommander has - whether you need to tune that specific rpm or not, it's there and it will be in the way of where you really need to tune.

For it's overall features and ease of use, I still haven't seen a better tool for tuning snowmobiles than the Boondocker box - that is partly why I am still adding features, plus I'm going back to riding a non-turbo sled for a little while this season (I just wish someone had timing control that works).

Again, this hasn't been released yet, but I thought people who are considering different tuning options should know about this upgrade so they might keep their old Boondocker box around a little longer. I don't frequent these forums much anymore (I'm doing lots of other stuff), but I'll try to answer what I can, when I can...

Which generation boxes can be updated or will be updatable? (Can you provide a brief description of the boxes as well for those that don't know?)

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I am happy to see that all the fuel managment guys are stepping up their game. A little competition keeps the ball rolling and provides a better product to the consumer. I personally have a BD box because SLP didn't have a fuel map for the PCIII with the reflash I had on my sled. It will be nice to send in my BD box and have more RPM and TPS settings so i can tune out some bad area's. The only thing I wish is that BD box piggy backed the ECU instead of the injectors. I guess you can't have it all.

PS: If anybody currently has a good fuel map for a Boondocker box on an 08M1K with 09 reflash, full SLP setup, RKT head, and Timbersled intake will you please send me your map. Thanx

Premium Features