• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best chassis l

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Everybody will have a different opinion. For me I'd say Polaris first, Cat second (similar feel, just has a weight disadvantage), and Doo 3rd. I've spent quite a bit of time on Doo and Poo, and a few full days on an Alpha. To me the Doo just has a loose feel to it that I don't really like, it's only really fun in deep snow in more open areas. In tight spots or in marginal snow I just can't get comfortable on it like I am on the other two.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Even though you say "for mtn riding" it depends on what your mountain riding entails and what your preferences are. I have similar feelings as MTsled3. One of the reasons I'm still on a Cat is because it's a good all around'er. Can ride steep trees, jumps, bumps, open terrain, and it's fairly durable. Pretty easy to take a bunch of weight off if you know you're going to mod stuff.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I feel the Poo is much more stable and predictable is all conditions, and as others have mentioned, the Cat is #2. If you can master the squirrely characteristics of the Doo, more power to you. I predominantly ride with a gaggle of Ski-Doo's and one of my favorite lines we pull is an off camber climb to the left with a steep drop to the right. It's a hill we pull late in the day on our way back to the trailers (tired riders) and the outcome is the same day after day. The lead rider attempts the pull up and to the left, he rides 100' or 200' then loses it and has to bail out. The second, third, fourth, through the tenth sleds usually have to bail, with maybe one managing the pull. I enjoy bringing up the rear and watching the circus. I am now officially old (60) with seriously limited skills and strength, but I can lean the Poo 850 to the left, sidehill up through the ruts, make the next left hander up the shoot and continue the climb over the mountain (with very little effort). After the ride we all have a few drinks at the bar and all I hear is why in the world do you still ride that frickin" Polaris, these turbo Doo's run like rockets!!!

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
Thank you for the feedback everyone.

So the Polaris chassis is axys, and pretty much covers everything 2016 and newer?
Arctic cat is alpha? What year did that chassis come into play?
On a quick side note,
What are the years to avoid with Polaris 800s and 850s,
Is it just the first year models of those engines that had issues?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Thank you for the feedback everyone.

So the Polaris chassis is axys, and pretty much covers everything 2016 and newer?
Arctic cat is alpha? What year did that chassis come into play?
On a quick side note,
What are the years to avoid with Polaris 800s and 850s,
Is it just the first year models of those engines that had issues?
Axys from 2016 to 2021 and some 22s, Matryx 2022+. Cat is Ascender, 2018s and some 2019s were twin rail still, Alpha is the single rail available from 2019+.

For Polaris the Axys 800s were pretty good, 2016 and 17 had some growing pains, mainly electrical gremlins. 2018 and newer are better. I had a 2016 and never had issues other than the electrical relays. One day I rode with 2 other guys on a 17 and an 18 and both of their thermostats broke on the same ride. I'd personally skip the 2019 850, seems like a lot of them went down.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Best chassis is for each individual to decide.

If u want precise handling in every possible situation that u can trust with ur life..... Polaris wins.

If u like it a little bit wild but still managable with the only instability on crap snow sidehilling then Cat Alpha is the one..

If ur just along for the ride and want powersteering with wheelies for days and a wiggly arse and that u cant trust, then Doo is the best.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
No one just rides a chassis. Motor, clutching, track, skis, etc., are all factors too.

You need to decide what mix works best for you most of the time.

I ride with people on Doo, Poo, and Cat. All are great and have advantages and disadvantages and most of the time simple mods can fix what you don't like.

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Here is my opinion. I have been riding for just shy of 44 years, grew up in a house where my dad farmed in the summer and wrenched at a Polaris dealership in the winter. Here is the curve ball, for the past 14 years I made the tough switch to cat and have never looked back. Ok maybe there is still a soft spot for the midnight blue and maybe someday I will be back. ?

Twin rail cats and the axys ride so similar I am not sure I could tell the difference if I couldn’t see the sleds. Can’t go wrong with either.

The alpha is king in all powder conditions and gets a solid C in the spring. Elevated they are an absolute blast in the steep and deep.

I want to like the skidoo but every time I throw my leg over one it is an abortion waiting to happen. Case in point riding my friends new turbo across a crusty meadow (20 mph max) last February a ski dove out of nowhere, attempted to buck me off and literally almost broke my leg.

If you don’t wrench, what does your local support look like? Not a big deal for me but for others it makes or breaks the season some times.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
If you don’t wrench, what does your local support look like? Not a big deal for me but for others it makes or breaks the season some times.
This is probably more important than the ride characteristics of each platform. If there's good local dealer support for one brand vs. another, or if most of the local riders (especially your friends) favor one of the brands, then don't swim upstream just because of something you read on the internet.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
I agree on how you think they ride. i ride a cat and I love it. the axys if setup with air shocks rides pretty close to my cat with air shocks. the doo i dont know they sell a ton of them but they wheely too much and the steering feels odd etc. Ive only ridden an alpha a little bit but for all around riding and durability i think a twin rail cat is best.

Premium Features